Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Hot water too hot - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Hot water too hot

What's Hot
I’m trying to sort out my monster-in-law’s hot water which is scalding hot. My wife is up there but I’m 200 miles away so who better to ask than a group of people who also don’t know how it’s set up :)

Boiler is a Glowworm Flexicom hx but doesn’t appear to have a temperature control on it like other boilers I’ve owned. Would there be a thermostat on the hot water tank?

any thoughts appreciated I’m not 100% convinced it has a standard set up so anything off-beam may help!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    There should be a thermostat on the tank. It may be on the top under a dome-shaped cover which you will probably need a small spanner to undo - it's usually held on with a crown nut, on the ones I've seen - or attached to the side with a strap that goes around the tank, probably hidden under the lagging.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Instructions are here https://www.glow-worm.co.uk/glow-worm/products-1/flexicom-1/flexicom-hx-user-157171.pdf
    Section 8.3 tells how to adjust the temperature.
    Hope this helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Instructions are here https://www.glow-worm.co.uk/glow-worm/products-1/flexicom-1/flexicom-hx-user-157171.pdf
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks I’ll pass it on 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Hope this helps.
    That’s ^ to adjust the flow temperature of the boiler I think, not the hot water temp. There should be a thermostat on the hot water tank, as ICBM says. It’s normally strapped to the side of the tank and can be adjusted, there’s a little pointer that you line up with the temp scale. You want it set around 60 degrees. Don’t go too low as there’s a risk of bacteria/legionella at lower temperatures. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    the one on the tank musn't be confused with an immersion thermostat 
    easiest best is to fit a simple thermostatic valve somewhere on the flow or a mixer tap
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Dominic said:
    the one on the tank musn't be confused with an immersion thermostat
    There will be two if it's a dual system with an immersion heater as well - but if the electric heater isn't connected, the immersion thermostat can be used to operate the gas system, in which case it may still be under the domed cover on top. That's how it was done in my old house! It is more normal to have the gas one strapped to the side of the tank though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Dominic said:

easiest best is to fit a simple thermostatic valve somewhere on the flow or a mixer tap
    I’m not sure how it’d be easier? You’d need to drain all the pipework down first and then cut into the pipe to fit a valve. But I have to be honest and say I’ve never seen a thermostatic valve fitted on a domestic hot water supply. On a shower, yes, and of course there’s often TRV’s on the radiators, but hot water? Nope. 

It’d be far easier to just find the h/w stat on the cylinder and adjust it. The most common type is a small rectangular box strapped to the side of the cylinder.  
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    boogieman said:
    Hope this helps.
    That’s ^ to adjust the flow temperature of the boiler I think, not the hot water temp. There should be a thermostat on the hot water tank, as ICBM says. It’s normally strapped to the side of the tank and can be adjusted, there’s a little pointer that you line up with the temp scale. You want it set around 60 degrees. Don’t go too low as there’s a risk of bacteria/legionella at lower temperatures. 
    Yes I get that, I was thinking that it would be a sight easier & faster for someone that doesn't know what they are doing, to reduce the overall water temperature to reduce the scalding risk in the short term. Then get someone in that has more experience later.