Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). God! I love Steely Dan. - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

God! I love Steely Dan.

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
For me, they were the absolute pinnacle of the rock/jazz cross-over.
This is beyond timeless perfection....
'My Old School'.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I’m 100% with you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Me too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I hate it

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1170
    I love/hate/am indifferent to in equal measure. Some is beautiful, inspired, moving, great music. Some is bland background noise…..not sure how to separate the two apart for on a track by track basis.

To be fair there’s a few bands I feel that way about. The Who and Queen are two that spring to mind immediately.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • equalsql said:
    This is beyond timeless perfection....
    'My Old School'.

Are you reeling in the years ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • equalsql said:
    Talk about, "Damning with faint praise".
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I enjoyed the clip, full of energy which is not something I associate with SD. 
    There are some great Midnight Special clips that have appeared on YouTube in recent times, worth a look if you like that era. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Love 'em!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Donald Fagen's voice is perfect. So relaxing to listen to. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I’ve only recently come to like them (although I now do a lot), and I understand the huge jazz influence, but they’re not jazz-rock crossover… definitely rock.

Which is probably why I’ve found that I like them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    ICBM said:
    I understand the huge jazz influence, but they’re not jazz-rock crossover… definitely rock.

Exactly this! They do rock with wonderful, unexpected tonalities but it all has an unmistakable rock feel.

I've liked Steely Dan for many years
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    edited September 2023
    Love 'em. In the modern era of digital music where nobody listens to an album from one end to another anymore, and instead picks out the best tracks, they are the exception to the rule. Royal Scam and Aja are particularly good examples where you have to play from start to finish. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Superb - I only saw them live once, so which I'd seen them a few times - Many many great tracks but FM is my #1 choice
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    edited September 2023
    I was in a record shop once and heard some great guitar playing on the shop sound system.  Asked the owner what was playing and he said Steely Dan.  I bought the best of to see if I liked the rest and hated every second of every song and have not listened to them since.  
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    edited September 2023
    Incredible band. Some of the guitar solos are mind-blowing! Larry Carlton, Skunk Baxter, Denny Dias ....

When I first heard Bodhisattva it blew my mind!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Really like their early albums but the later stuff leaves me cold.

One of my faves, love the kinetic onward feel of the rhythm and keyboard figure -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDZdNr9PHao

• From the same show:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • yockyyocky Frets: 744
    Always good to see early Matt Berry prototype Denny Dias in action.

The Skunk Baxter years were the best years. There's a great Midnight Special version of Do It Again with a ring side view of David Palmer's X-rated gnashers.

• Though I can concur with most of Steve Albini's wry criticisms of the band about them being a "SNL warm up act" and this gem -"Music made for the sole purpose of letting the wedding band stretch out a little'' - I find them absolutely superb and at one time had the entire back catalogue on CD.

I'm not especially keen with the 2 Against Nature and latter stuff - but previous albums have knockout tracks amongst the above average jazz rock ditties.
    Faves of mine ? Boston Rag, Rikki, Dr. Wu, Bad Sneakers (that sax solo...).

Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    Aja is their album I have listened to most. Love the level of musicianship on all of their stuff, Steve Gadd & Bernard Purdie’s drumming is a real highlight for me.

Favourite song = Deacon Blues (from the Aja album)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    duotone said:
    Aja is their album I have listened to most. Love the level of musicianship on all of their stuff, Steve Gadd & Bernard Purdie’s drumming is a real highlight for me.

Favourite song = Deacon Blues (from the Aja album)
    You, sir, are a gentleman of obvious taste and discernment.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yup. Also in the Aja camp. A towering achievement. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    I too love Steely Dan. There’s a special place in my heart for the Gaucho album and the tracks that didn’t make it like The Second Arrangement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Yup, hold a very special place for me 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    Guilty as charged. I love Steely Dan and bands that are tinged with a touch of The 'Dan such as this:

• SRichSRich Frets: 751
    My record shop 'enabler' told me "you HAVE to hear this" on Cant buy a thrill's release in 73 and I've been with them ever since

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • I don't want to like Steely Dan because they both come across as prize dickheads, but it's hard to argue with some of the music.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

I do like a bit of Steely Dan now and again, often Aja or Donald Fagan's Morph The Cat, which not surprisingly sounds like SD.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Love their first few albums, but I do find their later output pretty self-indulgent. Albini was right.