Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ibanez Futura / moderne on ebay - avoid or buy? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ibanez Futura / moderne on ebay - avoid or buy?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    The price is largely irrelevant because the thing is fecking hideous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Offset said:
    As my cousin said when I built one " it's a good job it plays well, because that thing is ugly".     Personally, Iliked it

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    WezV said:
    Offset said:
    As my cousin said when I built one " it's a good job it plays well, because that thing is ugly".     Personally, Iliked it

Well that just goes to prove the old adage that "only its' mother could love it" :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I like it (the Wez version, that is).  I don't hate the original Gibson design either, apart from the silly headstock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    WezV said:

Yes, but to be fair you did put the right headstock shape on it :).

I dislike the open-book, it's even worse than the 'original' - assuming they ever made any - it doesn't suit the modernistic shape at all.

Yours is also made from the right type of wood and has a sensibly-sized pickguard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    On headstock, I think mine works with the slimmed down V style I did for it.... I don't think the 58 style V headstock would look good at all

On the plate, I've never seen under the large plate on one of those Ibanez versions. It would be interesting to see how they have routed the wires as it is a bit tight in the areas you would normally go... did they go under the bridge? I can't think why else the plate would need to be that big

I'm also not sure the leg rest on the ibanez version would do anything at all.  The shape just doesn't sit in a way where that part of a body is a problem
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 531
    Offset said:
    WezV said:
    Offset said:

Well that just goes to prove the old adage that "only its' mother could love it" :-)
    That’s lovely!!
    WezV said:
    I'm also not sure the leg rest on the ibanez version would do anything at all.  The shape just doesn't sit in a way where that part of a body is a problem
    Is that what that sort of sloped indented section is?  As a leg rest, it looks like it would make the guitar more, not less, uncomfortable.
    I can't think what else it is supposed to be
    WezV said:
    On headstock, I think mine works with the slimmed down V style I did for it.... I don't think the 58 style V headstock would look good at all
    Agreed. The 'slim V' headstock suits the 'half V' body very nicely.

WezV said:

On the plate, I've never seen under the large plate on one of those Ibanez versions. It would be interesting to see how they have routed the wires as it is a bit tight in the areas you would normally go... did they go under the bridge? I can't think why else the plate would need to be that big
    If I was building one I would drill straight through from the neck pocket to the top end of the control cavity, passing through the pickup cavities and then between the bridge and tailpiece posts. You only have to get the two pickup wires through so it doesn't need to be a big hole.

However, that would make fitting an aftermarket Kahler tricky... :D 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• flyingvflyingv Frets: 531
    edited September 2023
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 389
    Thanks for the heads up. Don’t know why, but I’m into the funny old Ibanez / MIJ ones rather than a Gibson. 
    edited September 2023
    flyingv said:
    That's the first time I've ever seen the shape described as a 'flying cat', but I can sort-of see it now!

MikeC said:
    Thanks for the heads up. Don’t know why, but I’m into the funny old Ibanez / MIJ ones rather than a Gibson. 
    It's almost arguable that the MIJ ones are the 'originals', since there's no evidence Gibson actually made any of them in the 1950s - I think there's possibly an example pictured at a trade show, but I'm not even sure about that.

ICBM said:
    flyingv said:
    That's the first time I've ever seen the shape described as a 'flying cat', but I can sort-of see it now!

This is a Flying Cat:

And one was subsequently owned by quite a well known chap.

Greg Renoff on X Thanks to johnnybeane for clearing up the mystery about  this rare cat shaped EVH guitar owned previously by John Gatto of the Good  Rats httpstco4klczlhFwC  X
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Don't know either of those chaps.
    Sassafras said:
    Don't know either of those chaps.
    Honestly?  Here's another picture of the second chap.

Eddie Van Halen - Wife Songs  Son
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I'm guessing from the guitar, it's Van Halen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Wiz awarded. ;)
    Who is the first chap and WTF is that guitar?!
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 239
    Offset said:
    Looks like Mick Fleetwood....
    Offset said:
    That is John Gatto of Long Island, New York band the Good Rats, with one of his custom built "John the Cat" guitars.  I don't know who made them, I think it says in the credits of the Live at Last album, but my copy's a bit inaccessible...

He seems to have owned quite a few of them, they may have been built by different luthiers.

The Grand Opening of the Long Island Music and Entertainment Hall of F  PS  Audio
    CDN media

One of the guitars sold on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/40207289-custom-cat-guitar-john-gatto-good-rats

• £500 as it stands worth a punt £1200 with that damage no way, my 10ps worth.
    Mind you my eyes started rolling when it said Lawsuit era!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108

NEARLY 4K THOUGH!!

You could buy one of our guitars for that ….lol
    I suspect that you’d do a commission build for that.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.