Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Beware Klon fakes…..not replicas…. - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Beware Klon fakes…..not replicas….

What's Hot

Comments

• Thing is, having identified the discrepancies how long before the counterfeiters sort it out so that it’s impossible to tell?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    The only people who'll get stung are the collectors and they're the ones who've driven the prices up to where they are.
    I can't get too upset about it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  •  Neither can I but it’s best to keep up to speed ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’d imagine the goop on the circuit board makes faking one that much easier. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's not all that surprising considering a Klon is essentially a crudely made aluminium box with a few dollars worth of components soldered inside but potentially worth a few thousand pounds. It's not like faking a Vermeer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • danodano Frets: 1484
    Are they using fake goop ? 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I had Klon fakes for my breakfast. 
    21reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    dano said:
    Choop?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dano said:
    You can definitely hear the difference between Bill's original goop and the inferior goop used on the clones. The higher quality of goop makes spending the extra money worth it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's not all that surprising considering a Klon is essentially a crudely made aluminium box with a few dollars worth of components soldered inside but potentially worth a few thousand pounds. It's not like faking a Vermeer.
    Can't you get a perfectly decent clone for a few quid anyhow?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/tone-city-bad-horse-overdrive-pedal-excluding-power-supply

I've suffered for that link - had Lee on the phone trying to sell me victory amps for some reason ever since I clicked it...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    It's not all that surprising considering a Klon is essentially a crudely made aluminium box with a few dollars worth of components soldered inside but potentially worth a few thousand pounds. It's not like faking a Vermeer.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/tone-city-bad-horse-overdrive-pedal-excluding-power-supply

I've suffered for that link - had Lee on the phone trying to sell me victory amps for some reason ever since I clicked it...

I think he owns the phone networks as well.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    edited September 2023
    Sassafras said:
    It's not all that surprising considering a Klon is essentially a crudely made aluminium box with a few dollars worth of components soldered inside but potentially worth a few thousand pounds. It's not like faking a Vermeer.

I think he owns the phone networks as well.
    Don’t be daft, owning the phone networks it’s proper 8Chan grade conspiracy shit.

However, I have it good authority that Lee owns the batch of original diodes that are responsible for creating the unique Centaur sonic spectrum. He’s drip feeding Bill Finnegan limited quantities to fund his retirement. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Meh, I'm not sure about this. Just seems like Mr Finnegan generating hype (again). Surely the number of people accidentally/unknowingly buying a fake/replica Klon for real Klon money is vanishingly small or perhaps zero?
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304

Whenever I hear that Bill has put another Klon on ebay for 'his friend' I always assume he is paying off a loan shark. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Also funny Bill has not addressed the real elephant in the room. The capacitors in original Klons are now reaching the end of their lifespan (especially if the pedal has been used heavily) and in the next few years people are going to buy a real Klon for silly money only to find it doesn't work properly and the circuit is covered in resin.

In that case, even if Bill replaces the circuit for you, haven't you essentially purchased a very expensive (and crappy looking) sand cast aluminium box?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975 said:

Whenever I hear that Bill has put another Klon on ebay for 'his friend' I always assume he is paying off a loan shark. 
    It’s probably easier than running it as a business. Every couple of months you come out of retirement, spend a couple of hours making a pedal, you stick it up on EBay, sell it for 6 or 7 grand, and then go back to being retired.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

I’ve got the Chinese 
  • I’ve got a Demonfx Cloned Klon…….I defy anyone to tell the difference in a blindfold test from a real Klon….

• I've owned multiple original Klon pedals and owned two at the same time at one point, so I could A/B them and they all sounded a little different.
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

• GadgetGadget Frets: 874
    I've just been watching the Anderton's blind test Klon Centaur challenge, where the Wampler Tumnus sounded more authentic than the actual Centaur.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    One thing people seldom mention are that these Klons or Klons or any analogue circuits are that the parts have a tolerance but there is a variable within all of them, so they are all going to sound different to each other anyway, Even between 2 back to back Klons.  So to say a Klon sounds different to a Klone could be just down to tolerance. 
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited September 2023
    I bought a Warm Audio Centavo with the Jeff Beck Mod switch on the back a while back.
    Compared it to an original and it’s right up there if not better?
    The price is definitely better .

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/warm-audio-wa-cv-centavo-overdrive-pedal/959313

I was that impressed I bought all the Warm Audio pedals.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Do you have their groovy-looking fuzz, covered in orange velvet?  Do you like it? 

I'm thinking of getting one, as soon as my 24 inch flares come back from the dry cleaners.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    I had a Decibelics ,Tumnus and a Ceriatone side by side for weeks ..........I really could tell them apart blindfolded ;
    Tumnus always thicker and more bassy
    Decibelics thicker in the mids than the Ceriatone but like Tumnus without over-bassy
    When they were over 4 o clock ....they sounded similar although Ceriatone was clearest but it's not what they are for
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited September 2023
    Do you have their groovy-looking fuzz, covered in orange velvet?  Do you like it? 

I'm thinking of getting one, as soon as my 24 inch flares come back from the dry cleaners.
    Yes the Foxy Tone Box is covered in orange flocking.
    It’s a Fabulous Fuzz box.