Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Printing on a headstock - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Printing on a headstock

What's Hot
The time has come to get my custom logo / writing on my crimson self build strat headstock. 

Can’t decide what method to use. 
- template and body stain
- router/dremel tiny mm depth
- custom stickers ordered from somewhere 

what do you use?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I think it depends on the logo

waterslide transfer is good simple and a few companies offer it

template and body stain not sure how that works some sort of homemade screen and template would work better think Gibson gold.

sticker look naff

inlay with Dremel can be fine but practice on scrap first.

make logo different material and inlay.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    If you’ve got an ink jet printer you can buy waterslide paper, make your own transfers.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I make my own waterslide ones. You can buy a pack of 10 sheets of the stuff, either for laserprinter or inkjet. I need to get some more actually, as I have inkjet now instead of laser.
  • dariusdarius Frets: 592
    Thanks
    not heard of diy waterslides. I assume these are like old skool airfix transfers? Wet them and slide them on then they stick. Do they stay stuck?
    any links to good ones?
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    I just did mine with a waterslide transfer provided by Rothko & Frost (via eBay).  I am not sure if they print to your own completely custom design or if you have to choose one of their fonts - @SimonRF will be able to advise.

This is before clear coat over the top. Very easy to apply and seemed fairly robust - I was able to reposition a couple of times easily without damaging it. 
    IMG_7857.jpeg 171.9K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    From what I understand if you do your own with an inkjet printer, you just need to mist with clear coat before you wet them to seal the ink to the transfer - I haven't used them myself yet though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    I have done inkjet waterslides.   They are okay, but not like the quality you will get from someone like rothko and frost

Obviously you are limited on colour too. No metallic and the ink is not fully opaque so only looks good on lighter surfaces. 

You can print them reversed and use a metallic pen for fender style logos, but it's not going to look as good as a properly printed one. 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    This is a homemade waterslide. It was sprayed with varnish because inkjet ink cam be water soluble. I think this one was polyurethane. The gold circle was hand painted on the ukulele, and the transfer applied over the top. When properly dry it was over sprayed with the same varnish.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dariusdarius Frets: 592
    I’m going for four big numbers, rather than a logo or Pretend-o-caster text. 
    I’m guessing someone does some standard Letters/Numbers decals maybe? Or templates?
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Model makers waterslides might do the job? You'll be restricted to military fonts though
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    R&F will print anything, if you can make the source image - maybe they can make something for you as well, don't know . I've had some from guitardecals.co.uk as well, same sort of thing; print whatever you supply - again don't know if they would make up an image for you.

I've stopped getting metallic colours done, everyone seems to use a ribbon printer which leaves lines. Sometimes they can disappear, sometimes not and I've had whole sheets that I wouldn't want to use.

Inkjet decals can work well, laser printed ones are a bit better - seem a bit more crisp and better colour, more opaque - there's a type of decal paper for each printer type. But you are limited to colours of course, with either one.
    Yeah you do get the lines in the metallics. You can see in the pic of mine above - although now that I have clear coated it, the lines have disappeared as @Corvus mentioned. Guess I was lucky.