Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Who spins some classical? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Who spins some classical?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    I like Thomas Tallis, John Taverner(the modern era one more that the Tudor one as not heard much of them), Wagner, Johann Johannson and load more

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    edited September 2023
    Really into early Philip Glass at the moment:
    Philip Glass, Music in 12 Parts (Part 1)

I came across this guitar arrangement of a later piece which is nice.  That polyrhythmic thing always catches my ear.
    Philip Glass, Opening

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    My mum was really into classical, personally I just don't really like the sound of an orchestra much. I like some of the most famous pieces but I never choose to put stuff like that on. I know it's brilliant stuff, just not for me.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Grunfeld said:
    Really into early Philip Glass at the moment:
    Philip Glass, Music in 12 Parts (Part 1)

I came across this guitar arrangement of a later piece which is nice.  That polyrhythmic thing always catches my ear.
    Philip Glass, Opening

Philip Glass is great isn’t he. 

The classical guitarist I mentioned in my post, Gerard Cousins, is a massive Philip Glass fan. 

He’s done a whole album of guitar arrangements of Philip Glass pieces called Escape. 

Maybe worth checking it out. You might like it. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    CHRISB50 said:
    @thecolourbox really enjoyed listening to you. 
    You’re very talented. 
    Very kind, thank you. Like most things in life and in music, it's a lot of repetitive practice and loving what you're playing enough to go through that ordeal of obsession, I think. There are a couple of other pieces from that concert on my youtube as well if you wish to find them, they are shorter pieces so you'll get less of a numb backside from sitting there listening. Rachmaninov prelude and a light piece by Sinding (Norwegian romantic era composer)

Thanks. 

I will definitely have a listen. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    CHRISB50 said:
    ...Gerard Cousins....

Oh wow, he's good.  Thanks for the poke!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Grunfeld said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    ...Gerard Cousins....

Pleased you like it. You’re welcome mate. 

• I'm quite a big classical music and maybe more particularly opera fan. My favourite period for classical is from Debussy to Shostakovich - once you get into the serialist stuff and beyond that into minimalism there's still lots of stuff that I really like but a lot of it leaves me cold.  Going back in time I also tend to prefer pre-Romantic stuff,  ie Baroque and Classical, but there are loads of  exceptions.  i will occasionally go the ballet if I'm interested enough in the score - I wouldn't go for the dance if I didn't think the music would be interesting.

I'm a big enough opera fan to have seen productions of most of the current repertoire, the more popular stuff up to half a dozen times - ie the more popular Verdis, Puccinis, the 4 big Mozarts, the best know Bellini, Bizet,Tchaikovsky. Massenet, Mussorgsky etc.  I've seen a fair sprinkling of modern stuff as well - Britten (the better known ones more than once), Richard Strauss, Stravinsky, Bartok, Janacek, Humperdinck, etc etc.  I travelled twice in one year to see different productions of Debussy's rarely performed Pelleas et Melisande (in Paris and Edinburgh) and have also seen Szymanovsky's glorious Krol Roger in two different productions. The first of these, with Gergiev and the Mariinsky might be the best thing I've ever seen.  One problem I do have with opera is finding stuff I haven't seen about as often as I want to see it, because the same fairly small number of favourites tend to show up again and again.

Unlike other classical music I've never been hugely interested in recordings of opera or even videos, although I used to buy recordings and/or vidoes to prep for seeing something new.  it really has to be live performance.  But for me it's the most complete form of performative art/entertainment, call it what you will - I've come out of far more operas walking on air than classical/rock/jazz concerts, movies or anything else you can think of.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Mainly Baroque stuff  especially if it’s autumnal ,wintery or Christmassy 

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    edited September 2023
    CHRISB50 said:
    Grunfeld said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    ...Gerard Cousins....

Here's a couple of newer classical guitar pieces:

Carlo Domeniconi's 'Koyunbaba' (played by Declan Zapala)

Roland Dyens' 'Saudade No.3' (played by Alexandra Whittingham)

CHRISB50 said:
    Grunfeld said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    ...Gerard Cousins....

Here's a couple of newer classical guitar pieces:

Carlo Domeniconi's 'Koyunbaba' (played by Declan Zapala)

Roland Dyens' 'Saudade No.3' (played by Alexandra Whittingham)

I love Koyunbaba. The Presto part gets a bit mad, but as a whole it’s a lovely piece of music. 

Haven’t heard the other one. Will check it out. Cheers. 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited September 2023
    I'm quite a big classical music and maybe more particularly opera fan. My favourite period for classical is from Debussy to Shostakovich - once you get into the serialist stuff and beyond that into minimalism there's still lots of stuff that I really like but a lot of it leaves me cold.  Going back in time I also tend to prefer pre-Romantic stuff,  ie Baroque and Classical, but there are loads of  exceptions.  i will occasionally go the ballet if I'm interested enough in the score - I wouldn't go for the dance if I didn't think the music would be interesting.

I'm a big enough opera fan to have seen productions of most of the current repertoire, the more popular stuff up to half a dozen times - ie the more popular Verdis, Puccinis, the 4 big Mozarts, the best know Bellini, Bizet,Tchaikovsky. Massenet, Mussorgsky etc.  I've seen a fair sprinkling of modern stuff as well - Britten (the better known ones more than once), Richard Strauss, Stravinsky, Bartok, Janacek, Humperdinck, etc etc.  I travelled twice in one year to see different productions of Debussy's rarely performed Pelleas et Melisande (in Paris and Edinburgh) and have also seen Szymanovsky's glorious Krol Roger in two different productions. The first of these, with Gergiev and the Mariinsky might be the best thing I've ever seen.  One problem I do have with opera is finding stuff I haven't seen about as often as I want to see it, because the same fairly small number of favourites tend to show up again and again.

Unlike other classical music I've never been hugely interested in recordings of opera or even videos, although I used to buy recordings and/or vidoes to prep for seeing something new.  it really has to be live performance.  But for me it's the most complete form of performative art/entertainment, call it what you will - I've come out of far more operas walking on air than classical/rock/jazz concerts, movies or anything else you can think of.
    I know what you mean about opera - I like the odd recording in amongst other stuff but would never listen to or watch a recording of an entire opera, but seeing it in person is just incredible. I used to go to the Vienna state opera House in the standing area (cheap tickets as a student) and had some amazing experiences there. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    That Opening one by Mr Glass is lovely. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    There’s plenty of classical music that I like but, for me, it’s Sibelius who puts pictures inside my head. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    With apologists to the Classical purists, because these are probably outside the "pure" genre, but ... @Grunfeld (and any other appreciators of Philip Glass), you might also like some of this;

Or, in a similar vein, some of this;

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    ICBM said:
    barnstorm said:
    The Four Seasons is the one thing I’ll go out of my way to hear new recordings of. Absolutely rips, and has stood the test of time better than any other piece of music for me. Outrageous achievement to write something that arguably still counts as pop music 300 years on.
    The Four Seasons is absolute perfection, a work of outstanding genius. I had two or three more albums worth of Vivaldi's music though, and none of it was as good - but very similar, almost as if all the notes and phrases of TFS had been cut up into a random order and rejoined. I probably only scratched the surface, admittedly.
    The Four Seasons has been spoilt for me by the sheer number of companies that use it as their ‘telephone hold’ music.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    When we'd bought our current house, but before we moved in, one of our neighbours invited us for drinks, along with some of their other chums.

I made the mistake of telling one I found Elgar "ploddy". We're on speaking terms again now, three years later, but that lady sure loves Elgar.

One other member of Cello Club proposed Nimrod, and played it do slowly that I was doing three bows per note. I feared I had died and was in hell. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    Can't see by Beethoven's Pastoral....sublime
    tae be or not tae be
  • I know what you mean about opera - I like the odd recording in amongst other stuff but would never listen to or watch a recording of an entire opera, but seeing it in person is just incredible. I used to go to the Vienna state opera House in the standing area (cheap tickets as a student) and had some amazing experiences there. 
    Ironically the one time I went to Vienna I was in a hotel within a couple of hundred yards of the opera and we didn’t go. There was nothing on we particularly fancied and prices were high. We did go in and have a look round. I’ve been in Madrid, Budapest and Paris, but most of my opera going has been in Britain. I liked Vienna enough to want to go back so maybe some day.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Thanks all for such lovely contributions to the thread :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • I know what you mean about opera - I like the odd recording in amongst other stuff but would never listen to or watch a recording of an entire opera, but seeing it in person is just incredible. I used to go to the Vienna state opera House in the standing area (cheap tickets as a student) and had some amazing experiences there. 
    Ironically the one time I went to Vienna I was in a hotel within a couple of hundred yards of the opera and we didn’t go. There was nothing on we particularly fancied and prices were high. We did go in and have a look round. I’ve been in Madrid, Budapest and Paris, but most of my opera going has been in Britain. I liked Vienna enough to want to go back so maybe some day.

I used to go for the €6 standing area/restricted view, proper quality opera productions for the price of a Schnitzel! So I wasn't too bothered what I saw as it was all great to me. If I was paying the full price I would have been more picky I'm sure but then I'd have missed out on some of the more obscure ones which I actually really enjoyed.

I think my favourite from there was Tchaikovsky's Pique Dame, I don't know why but it just clicked with me.