Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ridiculous names for guitar effects …. - FX Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ridiculous names for guitar effects ….

What's Hot
VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 270
edited August 2023 in FX
Roll up roll up , let’s discuss the current trend for effects manufacturers to adopt more and more bizarre names…..

Hello Sailor, what’s that all about ?

Death by Audio !!!

Animal pedals rust rod.

Gooseniqueworx

Old blood Endeavours

Zvex Lofi Loop Junky ???

and I’m sure there are plenty more……

just seen another one ….Funny little boxes 

Sounds to me like they are trying to put a marketing edge on effects that are old, well known and not new?

how about Fan my brow with a Gurkha’s Jockstrap Demented Wah ……???

got to be a massive seller !!!

over to you….

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Roll up roll up , let’s discuss the current trend for effects manufacturers to adopt more and more bizarre names…..

Because the guy who makes them is in the navy and therefore a sailor?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Roll up roll up , let’s discuss the current trend for effects manufacturers to adopt more and more bizarre names…..

Could be !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    Roll up roll up , let’s discuss the current trend for effects manufacturers to adopt more and more bizarre names…..

Could be !
    He was in the Royal Navy, but I don't think he is now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Goodbye Sailor would have been more appropriate 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Less subtle than a Friedman amp. That's why those things should go under your pedalboard...never to be seen again!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Is there anyone with an ounce of dignity (who isn't 13 and stinking of Lynx Africa and crusty duvets) who would put one of these on their board just because of the name? I mean, FFS...

https://steelpantherrocks.com/products/the-pussy-melter-pedal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    Not all of those are particularly recent. It goes right back to Electro Harmonix, if not before.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022

4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 113
    edited September 2023
    Surely nothing can top the Big Muff—it’s a classic for a reason! 

Honorable mention to the Malekko B:Assmaster.

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Animals Pedals all have interesting names.  For a few months I had the “In October, 3 Foxes Talking of Dreamy Fuzz.”

My favorite reverb pedal has a cool name — Dark Star — but the company is Old Blood Noise Endeavors.
  • I love me some Animals

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    I don't get the silly/obscure names for pedals trend; I suppose it's a bit of fun, but I don't see how it can help sales.
    I go to guitar shows and there's a row of pedals on a stand with no description of what they do; I think I'm supposed to "know" or look them up on the interweb and memorise them, but I usually just don't bother.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    prowla said:
    I don't get the silly/obscure names for pedals trend; I suppose it's a bit of fun, but I don't see how it can help sales.
    I go to guitar shows and there's a row of pedals on a stand with no description of what they do; I think I'm supposed to "know" or look them up on the interweb and memorise them, but I usually just don't bother.

I guess that in reality most pedals of certain types sound very similar and the only way manufacturers can differentiate and make theirs stand out amongst similar items is to make up weird names and paint them with unusual colour schemes.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    prowla said:
    I guess variant names of “tube screamer” became saturated 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Neil said:
    prowla said:

I guess that in reality most pedals of certain types sound very similar and the only way manufacturers can differentiate and make theirs stand out amongst similar items is to make up weird names and paint them with unusual colour schemes.
    prowla said:
    I guess variant names of “tube screamer” became saturated 
    I'm all for a bit of design, but if you can't immediately see whether it's a fuzz or a delay then things have gone a bit awry...

• WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 140
    prowla said:
    It'll makes your Google search history more interesting! -  "Normal Pooing", "Butt Probe", "Pussy Melter"
  • prowla said:
    Naming stuff well is super hard. Sometimes a silly or themed name is just easier (and more fun). I imagine you also reduce the risk of picking something someone else is using. I heard the Chasing Tone guys talk a bit about that

I couldn’t find an exhaustive list of every Tube Screamer clone name. I wonder what’s left to use? 

Hamstead have gone a different route and gone to space to name their overdrives, but even then you’ve got Spaceman Effects, so not even in space are you safe from other brands. Can’t find a pedal named after UY Scuti, so I guess that’s still up for grabs 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    edited September 2023
    Two good pedals in one. horrific name…

I can imagine this would be on a lot more boards if it didn’t look so shit.

• My favourite is the Marshall ED-1 "Edward" The Compressor.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Boss SD-1.
    It's 'Super Overdrive', so why isn't it called the SO-1? Pure madness. 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Boss SD-1.
    It's 'Super Overdrive', so why isn't it called the SO-1? Pure madness. 
    Not to mention there’s also a DS-1.  I can never remember which one I have.  It’s orange and not that great is all I can remember.
  • Horsemeat. 
  •  
    That’s a cool setup Raymond