Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Can you clean tolex? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Can you clean tolex?

What's Hot
mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 472
Any tips on cleaning - in this case lacquered tweed - tolex? Just wondered if there was some amp cab equivalent of TCut? Ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Tolex or tweed?

Tolex, warm soapy water and a toothbrush

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Lacquered tweed. Just tried Axwax - looks good actually

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    Tolex - Swarfega and a nailbrush
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

To keep your RedPlate looking new for as long as you can, regular cleaning can help. 

We recommend a soft microfiber cloth, Sprayway (or other ammonia free product) and WD40. 

The Sprayway can be used to clean all parts of the amp from the panels to the covering, just remember to always put the product on the cloth and then apply to the amp. 

If you have a tolex covered amp and want it to shine, put one part WD40 and two parts Sprayway on a microfiber cloth and wipe down all of the tolex areas.  Do not apply WD40 to the panels or chassis. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 2989
    edited August 2023 tFB Trader
    Baby wipes

Here's a 50/50 on a '67 Princeton Reverb rear panel once it'd dried

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    edited August 2023
    Any thin oil (like wd40^) will make it look shiny and new, but will probably leave some residue. Even furniture polish. 

If it's really dirty then warm soapy water. 

Then some oil on the metal parts, if you like. 

• Baby wipes?!!
  • I dread to think what they are doing to my grandsons backside
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    RiftAmps said:
    Baby wipes

I wonder how many people genuinely think you washed away the mojo?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    RiftAmps said:
    Baby wipes

Looking at that, I’d think twice about using them on an actual baby!
  • Thanks for all the ideas, just for the record, I used axwax, and it's worked very nicely, not greasy or anything

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I use Kiwi black shoe polish. If you buff it off completely it doesn’t leave a waxy feel or too shiny look.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter