Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Guitar/Preamp question - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Guitar/Preamp question

What's Hot
JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
My Heriksen JazzAmp sounds great using archtop pickups, not so if I try Tele thinline/ 335/ or my Duesenberg. The semi-hollows sound shrill & nasty.

I guess that the Amp is in effect a FRFR or similar, made to sound great with low-gain jazz humbuckers.

Any suggestions for a preamp pedal to compensate when using semi-hollows ?  Preferably 1590A sized. Still want it clean.
Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited August 2023
    Difficult to answer without having pedals and the amp in front of you. I'd say a Revival Drive compact, or if on a budget, a Nobels ODR-1.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • https://combsguitars.com/jj150

I hear a few people rave about this for that purpose (assuming you like the CC/western swing sort of octal sound). Never tried it myself though.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    To be  clear - it's still for Jazz. No other pedals.

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Hopefully not insulting your intelligence, but have you tried turning the tone controls down on the guitars - and if so, not only does it help, but roughly where on the range?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited August 2023
    A Behringer EQ700 7-band Graphic Equaliser pedal for £25 may well allow you to tailor the sounds of different guitars into the amp and achieve a satisfactory sound while using them.
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 557
    Have you turned off the tweeter?
    edited August 2023
    ICBM said:
    Hopefully not insulting your intelligence, but have you tried turning the tone controls down on the guitars - and if so, not only does it help, but roughly where on the range?
    Fair question, but yes, using neck pickup, tone down as low as practical - sound still shrill.

Could always take my Princeton as well I suppose :/

Feedback
    edited August 2023
    Does the archtop have some other circuitry in it? There’s not actually that much difference in tone between a low-wound PAF-type humbucker and a Tele neck pickup, so I’m wondering why there should be that much difference through the amp, if even turning the tone control down doesn’t work.

I've come across some guitars with a small-value cap (about a tenth of the value of the standard tone cap) wired permanently into the circuit - it takes off the high treble and 'zing' without affecting the normal tone, so there's no setting on a standard tone control which quite matches it.

You could experiment with things like that in an external box if you want - it doesn't need power.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

So I DO have a Mooer GE knocking about, will give that a go at rehersals tonight (with the Duesenberg), probably no more than a bit of treble cut. Ta for the suggestion

No idea about circuits, sorry, the 2 archtops I use normally sound great.

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:

No idea about circuits, sorry, the 2 archtops I use normally sound great.
    What bridge type do they have - wooden? That makes a big difference too.

(Possible quicker way of asking several questions at once - what guitars are they? :) )

• Might I recommend a Joyo American pedal about £30 worth. I have a Marble Harmonica all tube amp which lacks a something when you plug a guitar in but the Joyo brings it all back
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Archtops wooden, 335, Tele Thinline, Deuseberg, Benedetto Bravo - not.

Graphic made a difference. Thanks all.

Feedback
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    edited September 2023
    Jalapeno said:
    Archtops wooden, 335, Tele Thinline, Deuseberg, Benedetto Bravo - not.

Graphic made a difference. Thanks all.
    Have never heard of them, but am enjoying looking through their website now. I think their Bravo model ($6250) would be my pick: https://www.benedettoguitars.com/product/bravo/

Edit: Just realised that out of 17 models I picked the exact same as you! @Jalapeno ;
    Sorry, mine's a Benny, not a Bravo doh !

Feedback