Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Suggestions for multifx in parallel loop - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Suggestions for multifx in parallel loop

What's Hot
masslessmassless Frets: 24
Hi. I recently bought a jvm410 with a parallel loop which is great but needs a mixer if using using more than one type of fx and I'd like to keep thinks simple, one unit ideally. I can't simply chain together fx pedals as you need to kill the dry signal.

Are there any multi FX that do parallel routing so I can have delay, verb and mod in the loop with independent control over wet levels of each in the mix? My AX8 does exactly what I want but it's too big and horrible to edit without a computer.

I've seen cheap multifx from nux and veleton but think they are all serial routing?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    *here comes the answer to everything* - HX Stomp. 

two parallel paths by default . could do 4 parallel (if you're smart with the Fx loops).

99% sure you can set all the FX to 100% wet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • masslessmassless Frets: 24
    Hah, damn. Nothing cheap and cheerfully Chinese?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    You can use any effect in a parallel loop, just make sure it's 100% wet with digital, otherwise the slight lag in the AD / DA will cause a phase shift compared to the original signal. 

I run delay, reverb, pitch shift etc in my parallel JMP-1 loop via a Boss GT10 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    The problem is multiple fx. You need dry on the inputs to each block, but wet on the outputs, so you can't serial chain them (unless that's the sound you want).
    The jvm is midi. I have a midi foot switch. Cogs turning...and I'm now looking at vintage rack fx units on ebay. oh lord!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    edited August 2023
    Not sure if I'm remembering this right but I seem to recall that not all parallel FX loops are the same in that some will go up to a 100% wet mix with the mix knob on full, whereas others may only go up to 80-90% and it depends on the amp?  Hopefully techs will jump in here to put me straight if I've misunderstood that. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Voxman said:
    Not sure if I'm remembering this right but I seem to recall that not all parallel FX loops are the same in that some will go up to a 100% wet mix with the mix knob on full, whereas others may only go up to 80-90% and it depends on the amp?  Hopefully techs will jump in here to put me straight if I've misunderstood that. 
    You haven’t misunderstood it :). Some parallel loops with passive mixing - Mesa are particularly bad for this - not only don’t go to 100% wet, they allow a small amount of signal to leak back from the return to the send as well, which can cause other trouble.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    Voxman said:
    You haven’t misunderstood it :). Some parallel loops with passive mixing - Mesa are particularly bad for this - not only don’t go to 100% wet, they allow a small amount of signal to leak back from the return to the send as well, which can cause other trouble.
    I modded my 2 channel dual rectifier loop for this very reason.

The JVM loop does seem to be good afaict and goes to 100% wet. It has a separate serial loop too. I'm very impressed with the amp generally, sounds very good. Hope its reliable.
    FWIW I have a solution using my H9. I maxed it out for £100 so have access to Space Time algo which does verb and delay (and a bit of mod). The neat thing is if you really need to add another effect it has a mode that passes the dry signal through one of the outs so it could be fed into a 2nd unit (would need a y cable for the final return to the JVM I think?).

Other wise HX stomp would be the way to go by the looks of it.
  • Please excuse the slight diversion, but could anyone explain the benefits of a parallel loop? Seems to add problems, but I'm sure there's something I'm missing.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2023
    Please excuse the slight diversion, but could anyone explain the benefits of a parallel loop? Seems to add problems, but I'm sure there's something I'm missing.
    They allow you to keep the dry part of the signal within the amp, which can sound better if the FX unit you have alters it badly (and if the loop isn’t very good). I’ve never found that an issue with any FX unit - pedal or multi - in a decent loop though, so for me it’s pointless. In my opinion it’s much better to just have a properly buffered series loop, which takes care of most or all tone issues from long cabling or low-impedance FX unit inputs. I think a lot of the reputation for FX loops sucking tone is due to poor buffering, not because they need to be parallel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Aha yeah, I hadn't thought of the analogue dry signal thing. I can see how that might work in some situations. Thanks for the reply!
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    The Nux Mg-30 has parallel effect routing. To be honest, I neither know what it is, why it may be useful or if it is what you want. The nux manuals are available on their website, so it might make more sense to you. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • Sesh said:
    The Nux Mg-30 has parallel effect routing. To be honest, I neither know what it is, why it may be useful or if it is what you want. The nux manuals are available on their website, so it might make more sense to you. 
    thanks for the heads up Sesh. Says it does 4CM too, that's quite nifty for the price. Midi only via USB though which is a shame.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    massless said:
    Sesh said:
    thanks for the heads up Sesh. Says it does 4CM too, that's quite nifty for the price. Midi only via USB though which is a shame.
    I've had one for a month or two. For a cheapie it does a hell of a lot. I can't compare it to high end stuff like helixes etc, or the pedals and amps it models but for a hobbyist it does plenty in a decent way. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.