Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NAD - Emprize Oxford - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NAD - Emprize Oxford

What's Hot
Power_FreakPower_Freak Frets: 90
edited August 2023 in Amps

Wanted to give a quick shout out to this forum, had been eyeing this amp for a while and the only reviews of Emprize I could find anywhere was on here, so thanks!

It's a take on a tweed Harvard (5f10) circuit, small changes include using a noval valve in v1 instead of a pesky 7 pin one, and using a 2 input chassis instead of 3. Otherwise (I'm told) it's pretty much identical to a Harvard (my favourite of all the tweed circuits). Only got a quick chance to give it a test, but with my cc-pickup'd tele it sounds great. Hoping to give it a real test (including the pedalboard test) later today
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I like tweed. Following!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909
    Handsome amp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Got to play it for a couple of hours this evening (only low volume unfortunately) - certainly has the "Harvard" vibe to it. Seems to hold together pretty well with some dirt, stays fairly tight. Breakup is relatively low on the volume dial, you can quite easily get into that tweed-y chirp-y grit. I have a few pre-amp valves lying around to chop and change and see if I like anything better than the stock setup (V1-5751, V2-12AX7) - since I don't use that "amp falling apart" sound at the very top end of the volume dial on a tweed, something lower gain might be nice.

I've also borrowed/bought a bunch of different 10" drivers to test out to see what works best, might have to wait until the weekend to do that though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Kepp us posted please, I'd love to know more. HNAD!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • Got to open up the volume a little more this morning - breakup was coming a tad too early for my taste. Chopped any changed through a bunch of different combinations, in the end:

V1 - 12AY7
    V2 - 12AX7

Was the combination of choice for me, more usable volume range, slightly opens up the top end at the expense of a little bass.

What was interesting was the 5751 in V2 seemed to not sound good to me (comparatively at least), not entirely sure why that is. I've loved that tube in V2 and/or PI positions before, but not here.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    Got to play it for a couple of hours this evening (only low volume unfortunately) - certainly has the "Harvard" vibe to it. Seems to hold together pretty well with some dirt, stays fairly tight. Breakup is relatively low on the volume dial, you can quite easily get into that tweed-y chirp-y grit. I have a few pre-amp valves lying around to chop and change and see if I like anything better than the stock setup (V1-5751, V2-12AX7) - since I don't use that "amp falling apart" sound at the very top end of the volume dial on a tweed, something lower gain might be nice.

I've also borrowed/bought a bunch of different 10" drivers to test out to see what works best, might have to wait until the weekend to do that though.
    Maybe the speaker? I'm guessing you got the one they had for sale with the Alessandro ceramic speaker? I haven't tried the Alessandro, but most of the Eminences I've tried are a bit more modern-sounding (tight), and being ceramic probably even more so. Definitely worth trying a bunch of different speakers since they make such a big difference.

Awesome score on the amp, by the way  =)

(I only ever tried a 5751 in V1 in my little VHT Special 6... I didn't really like it! I guess it would help with an amp which had too much preamp gain like a tweed amp, though. I'm a bit the same as you, I don't really like that "going into meltdown" thing that a lot of the vintage-style amps do when really cranked.)
  • Dave_Mc said:
    Got to play it for a couple of hours this evening (only low volume unfortunately) - certainly has the "Harvard" vibe to it. Seems to hold together pretty well with some dirt, stays fairly tight. Breakup is relatively low on the volume dial, you can quite easily get into that tweed-y chirp-y grit. I have a few pre-amp valves lying around to chop and change and see if I like anything better than the stock setup (V1-5751, V2-12AX7) - since I don't use that "amp falling apart" sound at the very top end of the volume dial on a tweed, something lower gain might be nice.

Maybe the speaker? I'm guessing you got the one they had for sale with the Alessandro ceramic speaker? I haven't tried the Alessandro, but most of the Eminences I've tried are a bit more modern-sounding (tight), and being ceramic probably even more so. Definitely worth trying a bunch of different speakers since they make such a big difference.

Awesome score on the amp, by the way  =)

(I only ever tried a 5751 in V1 in my little VHT Special 6... I didn't really like it! I guess it would help with an amp which had too much preamp gain like a tweed amp, though. I'm a bit the same as you, I don't really like that "going into meltdown" thing that a lot of the vintage-style amps do when really cranked.)
    Yes - this is the one from the in stock with the Alesandro in it. I'm typically not much of an eminence fan, so we'll see what happens in the shoot out, I will have a few emis, maybe 2 celestions (which I'm bound to hate, but for the hell of it), a couple of webers and some jensens to play around with. Would have loved a paper-coned alnico Jupiter to try, but they're too hard to get hold of over here... Maybe a shootout for a later date if I need to scratch the itch. 

The 5751 sounded killer in V1 (that's essentially what a stock Harvard is - at least the later ones, earlier ones had a 12AX7 equivalent - in terms of gain at least, since they used 7 pin valves). But in V2 everything disappeared, it came weedy, boxy and stiff - it's not gain related since I quite enjoyed an AY there. Just something about the 5751 in particular just didn't seem to work.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 182
    Cool amp congrats :)
  • Couldn't resist a quick try of a new speaker this afternoon...

First a gutshot because everybody likes those:

Then a quick speaker swap:

As this is a guitar forum I have to slate the RI Jensen's - they all sound awful *sarcasm*

On a superficial level it just looks "right" to have a speaker like this in there, which makes me happier. It is also marginally lighter with this speaker which is never a bad thing.

This speaker (p10r-fen - fender edition) is much more my scene than the Emi. Much much more high end ("sparkle", "chime", "air" - whatever adjective you like to use) and the low end is softer and more giving when you dig in. Significantly less mids and wouldn't cut through a band mix quite as well but that's a price I'm willing to pay. The lower sensitivity suits an amp like this too (IMO at least)  and is less fatiguing to listen to long term.

I think this one will be hard to beat (for me at least)

The eminence is surely not a bad speaker however, I can see why they're so popular. I think it would absolutely kill in a non-tweed fender with more of a scooped profile as it'll help balance it out (and will have the power handling not to cave in with bass of a later princeton for example). As always depends how you want to use it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I'd be heartbroken if it transpired this was yet another amp brand owned by Lee Anderton. I'm just waiting for the 3 hour vid of KDH carrying out an anticlimactic investigation.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    (a) Yes - this is the one from the in stock with the Alesandro in it. I'm typically not much of an eminence fan, so we'll see what happens in the shoot out, I will have a few emis, maybe 2 celestions (which I'm bound to hate, but for the hell of it), a couple of webers and some jensens to play around with. Would have loved a paper-coned alnico Jupiter to try, but they're too hard to get hold of over here... Maybe a shootout for a later date if I need to scratch the itch. 

(b) The 5751 sounded killer in V1 (that's essentially what a stock Harvard is - at least the later ones, earlier ones had a 12AX7 equivalent - in terms of gain at least, since they used 7 pin valves). But in V2 everything disappeared, it came weedy, boxy and stiff - it's not gain related since I quite enjoyed an AY there. Just something about the 5751 in particular just didn't seem to work.
    (a) I've never tried any Webers or Jupiters- as you said, they're too much of a pain to get a hold of here.

I do like Eminences, but (as I said in that other thread) they do have a bit of a "house sound" which tends to be a bit more modern, at least to my ears (or I should say, what I take to  be "more modern"- I've never tried any genuine vintage amps or speakers lol!). I know on a lot of the more USA-centric forums a lot of people act like they're way better than RI Jensens, and I sort of know what they mean (they're more versatile probably for more modern music as well as being quite a bit more efficient), but you do seem to lose a little bit of that vintage sparkle and "tone", for want of a better word- it really depends on what you want. 

Awesome pics of the amp D That's interesting you went with the Fender version of the P10R- I hmmed and hahed between the two and went with the regular one. I haven't tried the Alessandro or the Jensen you have, but based on the ones I do- I basically agree with your assessment. (It's also quite funny- I think the one you have is supposed to be maybe one of the least-sparkly Jensens, and the regular P10R I have is well on the dark-side of Jensens as well, and they still have more of that top-end sparkle than Eminences!)

EDIT: You were pretty lucky with the magnet there, too- it's not too big in the P10R. The P10Q might be pushing it with the 6V6es if you were unlucky...

(b) That's very interesting- you're right about the 12AY7, it's even lower gain I think? Might it be an impedance issue or something like that?

• Dave_Mc said:
    (a) Yes - this is the one from the in stock with the Alesandro in it. I'm typically not much of an eminence fan, so we'll see what happens in the shoot out, I will have a few emis, maybe 2 celestions (which I'm bound to hate, but for the hell of it), a couple of webers and some jensens to play around with. Would have loved a paper-coned alnico Jupiter to try, but they're too hard to get hold of over here... Maybe a shootout for a later date if I need to scratch the itch. 

(b) The 5751 sounded killer in V1 (that's essentially what a stock Harvard is - at least the later ones, earlier ones had a 12AX7 equivalent - in terms of gain at least, since they used 7 pin valves). But in V2 everything disappeared, it came weedy, boxy and stiff - it's not gain related since I quite enjoyed an AY there. Just something about the 5751 in particular just didn't seem to work.
    (a) I've never tried any Webers or Jupiters- as you said, they're too much of a pain to get a hold of here.

I do like Eminences, but (as I said in that other thread) they do have a bit of a "house sound" which tends to be a bit more modern, at least to my ears (or I should say, what I take to  be "more modern"- I've never tried any genuine vintage amps or speakers lol!). I know on a lot of the more USA-centric forums a lot of people act like they're way better than RI Jensens, and I sort of know what they mean (they're more versatile probably for more modern music as well as being quite a bit more efficient), but you do seem to lose a little bit of that vintage sparkle and "tone", for want of a better word- it really depends on what you want. 

Awesome pics of the amp D That's interesting you went with the Fender version of the P10R- I hmmed and hahed between the two and went with the regular one. I haven't tried the Alessandro or the Jensen you have, but based on the ones I do- I basically agree with your assessment. (It's also quite funny- I think the one you have is supposed to be maybe one of the least-sparkly Jensens, and the regular P10R I have is well on the dark-side of Jensens as well, and they still have more of that top-end sparkle than Eminences!)

EDIT: You were pretty lucky with the magnet there, too- it's not too big in the P10R. The P10Q might be pushing it with the 6V6es if you were unlucky...

(b) That's very interesting- you're right about the 12AY7, it's even lower gain I think? Might it be an impedance issue or something like that?

I have both a regular p10r and a p10q to try on the weekend (borrowing them at least) - the p12q is my favourite 12 from Jensen, so I'm kind of intrigued to see how it translates to a 10. (Also the picture is deceptive there is more than enough room - pretty sure even a big bell celestion could fit in there tbh)

12AX7 have a mu of 100, 5751 have 70 and 12AY7 have 45 - still unsure what it is about the 5751 that made it go a little funky in v2, I guess it could just be the circuit values in the amp making some sort of band pass filter with the internal capacitances/conductances/etc. of the 5751 - but I have no idea really.
    (a) I have both a regular p10r and a p10q to try on the weekend (borrowing them at least) - the p12q is my favourite 12 from Jensen, so I'm kind of intrigued to see how it translates to a 10. (b) (Also the picture is deceptive there is more than enough room - pretty sure even a big bell celestion could fit in there tbh)

(c) 12AX7 have a mu of 100, 5751 have 70 and 12AY7 have 45 - still unsure what it is about the 5751 that made it go a little funky in v2, I guess it could just be the circuit values in the amp making some sort of band pass filter with the internal capacitances/conductances/etc. of the 5751 - but I have no idea really.
    (a) I'm not sure- I haven't tried the P10Q, unfortunately. Just from listening to the soundclips on the Jensen site, and comparing to the ones I have, it's almost like Ps and Qs are reversed when it comes to the 10s and 12s- the P12R is really bright and has almost no bass whereas the P10R is very bassy, for example. I do think there are some similarities in the way they break up, though- but I wouldn't be surprised if the P10R sounds closer to the P12Q than the P10Q does.

(b) Oh yeah I see what you mean about the picture and the space- now you mention it it does look like there's a fair bit of spare depth there. I know with the smaller alnico speakers like the 6" and 8" ones you can sometimes get into trouble with the valves being in the way!

(c) Yeah it is strange, it's getting way beyond my pay grade- which is basically, "Wow valves are awesome, aren't they?"  =)

• Dave_Mc said:
    (a) I have both a regular p10r and a p10q to try on the weekend (borrowing them at least) - the p12q is my favourite 12 from Jensen, so I'm kind of intrigued to see how it translates to a 10. (b) (Also the picture is deceptive there is more than enough room - pretty sure even a big bell celestion could fit in there tbh)

(c) 12AX7 have a mu of 100, 5751 have 70 and 12AY7 have 45 - still unsure what it is about the 5751 that made it go a little funky in v2, I guess it could just be the circuit values in the amp making some sort of band pass filter with the internal capacitances/conductances/etc. of the 5751 - but I have no idea really.
    (a) I'm not sure- I haven't tried the P10Q, unfortunately. Just from listening to the soundclips on the Jensen site, and comparing to the ones I have, it's almost like Ps and Qs are reversed when it comes to the 10s and 12s- the P12R is really bright and has almost no bass whereas the P10R is very bassy, for example. I do think there are some similarities in the way they break up, though- but I wouldn't be surprised if the P10R sounds closer to the P12Q than the P10Q does.

(b) Oh yeah I see what you mean about the picture and the space- now you mention it it does look like there's a fair bit of spare depth there. I know with the smaller alnico speakers like the 6" and 8" ones you can sometimes get into trouble with the valves being in the way!

(c) Yeah it is strange, it's getting way beyond my pay grade- which is basically, "Wow valves are awesome, aren't they?"  =)

I wonder if that quality you mention is due to the ratio of voice coil to the ratio of voice coil to diameter? The p10r and p12q are roughly the same ratio... I'm no speaker designer so have no idea if that's a thing... In that case a p10q would sound closer to a p12n

And yeah - plenty of space! If I stick with a jensen I might get a bell cover for it... Just to satisfy my very shallow aesthetic desires
  • I've got a Jensen P12R in my tweed Princeton clone, which is housed in a Deluxe-sized cabinet. I wouldn't say it lacks bass, but this could be because of the bigger cabinet. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Speaker shootout results:

Disclaimers:

-          Only tested with the oxford (duh)

-          Some speakers tested in the oxford cab, some in separate cabs

-          I did not have the ability to switch speakers instantly, there was a refractory period to do the switch

-          I left the amp controls at 12 o’clock throughout the test, I didn’t try and dial in each speaker individually

-          When I mention “dirt” I used my usual dirty sound of a Rat style pedal running into a Zendrive

-          I use the neck pickup (CC style or humbucker) exclusively and I play with an extremely delicate touch – heavy handed blues/rockers keep tht in mind

Eminence

Alessandro GA10SC64: loud, very middy, top end and low end rolled off. Cut through very well. Quite dark and tight sounding, under dirt it held up well. Not quite as touch sensitive as some others. I believe that in a non-tweed fender with a scoopier EQ (and a lot of bass) it could be a killer speaker.

Legend 1028 (alnico): Very similar to the Alessandro in terms of EQ, pushed very hard it starts to compress

Celestion

Greenback 10 and Gold 10: Both had similar low mid fatness no other speaker had. Probably the most “balanced” sound all around. I am after a more traditional tweed sound and don’t particularly enjoy celestions in tweeds for that reason. If I was going this way I’d just go for a 12 baffle and get a “proper” one though if I’m honest.

Jensen

P10r (regular version): pretty bright, brash, a little out of control. Has that wiry, reedy, sort of tweed sound I like. Noticeably quieter than all the above. There is a noticeable compression when hit hard, but very touch sensitive prior to that

P10r-f (fender version): Similar to the above, top end rolled off a little but still has enough of that airy high end for me. Slightly quieter than the regular possibly, but only just. A little smoother sounding when the OD is applied, but still has the tweed reed-y sound

P10q – Wild top end, very very bright, very brash. For me a little too much clean, but sounds incredible with OD. If I only played with fuzz and wanted a wild sound I’d be very happy with this one

Weber

Can’t remember the model names – I think they were 2 different takes on the p10r. One was brighter one was smoother in the top. Both much more “polite” than the Jensen, arguably more “boutique” sounding – some would say this is “better” some would say it’s “less characterful” than the Jensen equivalents. Volume a fair bit higher than the Jensens, less than the Eminences.

And the winner is:

Lots of good speakers here, all have their uses. If I was in an ideal world I’d keep 2 1x10 cabs – one with the smoother of the Webers for clean sounds, then a p10q for dirty sounds – and some sort of crazy switching system that would allow me to switch between the 2 for each sound.

Unfortunately, I must be somewhat sensible – so for me the p10r-fen was the best compromise. Cleans are fairly similar to the Webers, but when I pile on the dirt it still does that wild Jensen thing.

I still want to try a paper cone alnico Jupiter, and I’ll likely scratch that itch eventually – but for now I’m happy.

I wonder if that quality you mention is due to the ratio of voice coil to the ratio of voice coil to diameter? The p10r and p12q are roughly the same ratio... I'm no speaker designer so have no idea if that's a thing... In that case a p10q would sound closer to a p12n

And yeah - plenty of space! If I stick with a jensen I might get a bell cover for it... Just to satisfy my very shallow aesthetic desires
    I have no idea either- it's only recently I've even started thinking about things like voice coils etc., and there are probably far more specs that I'm still completely ignoring!

Excellent write-up on the speakers too, thanks very much for that, that's very useful. Funnily enough what you said about the P10R versus the Fender version pretty much tallies with what Jensen says- but not with their soundclips for some reason!

I also think you like the opposite to me (that might be your mainly using the neck pickup)- I tend to like brighter tones for cleans but warmer tones for distortion.

I've got a Jensen P12R in my tweed Princeton clone, which is housed in a Deluxe-sized cabinet. I wouldn't say it lacks bass, but this could be because of the bigger cabinet. 
    Maybe! Or maybe even just the circuit? I haven't been able to try my P12R with my Princeton as it's the wrong impedance, but the tweed Princeton doesn't exactly lack bass. I've currently got my P12R in a stereo 2x12, so that's a fairly big cab too- it's a compact 2x12 so it's probably more like an oversized 1x12, but it's not exactly small for the single speaker. It might even just be volume- I've noticed as the volume goes up the bass seems to fill out a fair bit (all the Rs I've tried seem to do that).

(Awesome amp by the way, that looks great!  =) )
  • Dave_Mc said:
    I've got a Jensen P12R in my tweed Princeton clone, which is housed in a Deluxe-sized cabinet. I wouldn't say it lacks bass, but this could be because of the bigger cabinet. 
    Maybe! Or maybe even just the circuit? I haven't been able to try my P12R with my Princeton as it's the wrong impedance, but the tweed Princeton doesn't exactly lack bass. I've currently got my P12R in a stereo 2x12, so that's a fairly big cab too- it's a compact 2x12 so it's probably more like an oversized 1x12, but it's not exactly small for the single speaker. It might even just be volume- I've noticed as the volume goes up the bass seems to fill out a fair bit (all the Rs I've tried seem to do that).

(Awesome amp by the way, that looks great!  =) )
    Yes, it could be the circuit. As you can see from the pic, mine isn't an exact clone of a 5f2.It's diode rectified for a start, and I'm running a 6L6 in place of the 6V6.
    edited September 2023
    Yes, it could be the circuit. As you can see from the pic, mine isn't an exact clone of a 5f2.It's diode rectified for a start, and I'm running a 6L6 in place of the 6V6.
    I saw the lack of a rectifier valve but I was too stupid to identify the 6L6! That might add even more bass, mightn't it? I haven't tried one in my Princeton (I'm not sure it's up to it), but I tried one in my VHT Special 6 (more or less a champ) and it seemed to add quite a bit more bass than a 6V6.