Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fanfare for the common man - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fanfare for the common man

What's Hot
stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
Just got back home after driving for a couple of hours. It's a warm, blue sky, sunny day here (so great for driving).

Spotify playlist on shuffle ... out of the blue I suddenly hear ELP blasting out of the car sound system :+1: 

Hadn't heard FFTCM in years an TBH I had completely forgotten how powerful and uplifting it is ... what an arrangement ... what a sound :astonished: 

What was the last piece of music you heard that made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1230
    edited August 2023
    Loved it ever since Keith Emerson started doing it back in the days of The Nice. Saw them live complete with Keith in his fringed suede jacket pushing daggers into the keyboard to get sustained notes.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    edited August 2023
    stufisher said:

What was the last piece of music you heard that made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up?
    'Elegy For Dunkirk' by Jeff Beck, played by Planet Rock on Remembrance Sunday last year after the minutes' silence.  Mrs O and I were driving home and listened in complete silence.  Not only did hairs stand up but eyes were moistened.

Brilliant and incredibly moving.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    Gresford, The Miners Hymn.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    stufisher said:
    Just got back home after driving for a couple of hours. It's a warm, blue sky, sunny day here (so great for driving).

Spotify playlist on shuffle ... out of the blue I suddenly hear ELP blasting out of the car sound system :+1: 

Hadn't heard FFTCM in years an TBH I had completely forgotten how powerful and uplifting it is ... what an arrangement ... what a sound :astonished: 

A couple of years ago, random shuffling on the hifi played Gary Moore's 'Johnny Boy'. Which was, of course, originally about the loss of Phil Lynott, and I already loved it and found it moving when Gary was still around.

I hadn't heard it for ages. And even as it was playing I was sure I heard:

When I hear that wind blow
    All across the Wicklow mountains
    Is it you, I hear a calling
    Gary Moore, oh Gary Moore...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Offset said:
    stufisher said:

'Elegy For Dunkirk' by Jeff Beck, played by Planet Rock on Remembrance Sunday last year after the minutes' silence.  Mrs O and I were driving home and listened in complete silence.  Not only did hairs stand up but eyes were moistened.

Thanks I must give that a listen.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Is there no love here for Copland BTW?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    stufisher said:

Jake Bugg singing ‘Broken’, live with just his acoustic guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
    These are all really moving ... in different ways of course. All new to me :+1: 

Weirdly, I had a long catch-up call with my 77yo buddy last night and he told me about something special he'd organised for his 80 yo Ozzie life-long friend who is visiting at the moment.

It made me think of this (which I have subsequently forwarded to him) ... gets me every time :love: 

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Yes, but not in the ELP version, which adds nothing to the symphonic version and loses a fair bit.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394

• Offset said:
    stufisher said:

That's beautiful.

This forum really is a great place to find new music.
  • BorkBork Frets: 231
    darthed1981 said:
     FFFTCM is in my top five of favourite pieces of music.  It's a remarkable arrangement and hauntingly crafted even in it's original form.  Then ELP came along and added some edge to it.  

Another one of my guilty pleasures is Toccata in Dm by Sky.  Some will recognise it from the movie Rollerball.

[This space for rent]

• Last piece I heard that made me shiver and stop in my tracks was Going Home, words to the tune of Dvorak's New World largo.

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
    @thecolourbox that's wonderful :+1: 

It has prompted recall of this (watch from 2'30" onwards):

Mrs F and I were there in person and we both cried ... the emotion was overwhelming ... 25,000 in the audience, sitting in a 2,000 year old, open air arena, just after a thunderstorm ... I don't expect we'll ever get near that pinnacle again :astonished: 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I was a big fan of ELP back in the day. They were one of those bands though that had AMAZING tracks, and also terrible ones. The best stuff - brilliant, the worst - unlistenable.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    axisus said:
    I was a big fan of ELP back in the day. They were one of those bands though that had AMAZING tracks, and also terrible ones. The best stuff - brilliant, the worst - unlistenable.
    Likewise. A friend at school had all their albums, and I taped them and listened to them a lot. A few years ago I bought several of them on CD out of nostalgia, but as you say, they veer between genius and appalling... I eventually replaced them all with just the 'Best Of' (with the psuedo-Japanese cover) which has pretty much everything you actually need - although slightly annoyingly, nothing from Tarkus, which does have its moments. But not enough to buy Tarkus again.

Brain Salad Surgery is *almost* worth having for the cover... but not quite.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson