Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Strat mods questions - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Strat mods questions

What's Hot
Pickguard - I have an 8 screw pickguard.   Are the 11 screw pickguard holes in the same places, simply with three extra screws or totally different.?

Can I use an S1 switch with any pickups?

Could I add a TBX mod in addition to the S1 switch ?

Could I do all this myself....?

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Nearly but not quite, and definitely not the one by the switch. 

Yes I think so but they're a bit shite 

No idea but I think its just a tone control so I don't see why not

Yes if you know how a soldering iron works...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Thanks.  I really like the neck and bridge together on a Strat.  Is there a better way of doing it than the S1 switch?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    rlw said:
    Thanks.  I really like the neck and bridge together on a Strat.  Is there a better way of doing it than the S1 switch?
    The classic player 50s strat has neck bridge instead of neck middle I think so you could see if you can find a wiring diagram for that.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    You can definitely put a push/push on the volume control to add either the bridge or neck to any other combination you would select on the switch. It shouldn't be complex wiring
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 154
    edited August 2023
    rlw said:
    Pickguard - I have an 8 screw pickguard.   Are the 11 screw pickguard holes in the same places, simply with three extra screws or totally different.?

At least the one screw hole by the pickup selector will be different. Also, there are a few variations of 11 hole guards - I think they vary by the screw next to the middle pickup. Can always just drill the new holes out, if you aren't too precious...

S1 switch will work with any pickups with the "right" number of cables - I've used them with rails for a master coil split before. It will work with any single coil with two or more leads, or any humbucker which doesn't have just a braided single conductor lead.

Yes, you can add in the TBX, it won't have any issues with an S1.

You could do it all yourself, and I'm sure a few on here could help with a wiring diagram if needed or something.

Alternatives - you could either have a push-pull for just adding the neck pickup to the bridge or could try the blender mod. Or, you could try a Freeway switch. They give you 5 new sounds in addition to the traditional 5 and can be wired up multiple ways. It just replaces your standard 5 way switch, so won't require any extra holes to be drilled in the guard. I've used these a few times, would definitely recommend one! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    rlw said:
    Some of them are...

rlw said:

Yes, but they are an overly complicated, unreliable switch which if used to its full potential can only be replaced by another one when it breaks. If not used to its full potential you may as well use a simpler and more reliable switch.

rlw said:

Yes, it simply replaces one of the tone controls. However, it has a strange ability to go from muddy to shrill without passing through good. At least, if you wire it as suggested - there are other uses for it, most notably as a proper bass and treble control, but that's more complicated to wire up.

rlw said:
    Yes - either a simple push-pull (or push-push if you prefer), or a blend control replacing one of the tone knobs.

Or, if you don't want all of the five stock settings - many people don't use the middle alone or the bridge alone - you can use some variety of 'superswitch' to give bridge + neck on the main selector.

rlw said:

Yes, if you can do basic soldering.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    ICBM said:
    there are other uses for [the TBX], most notably as a proper bass and treble control, but that's more complicated to wire up.
    I could do that. Gi's a schematic diagram.  ;)
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426

I could do that. Gi's a schematic diagram.  ;)
    Use the 250K section (furthest from the pickguard) as a standard tone control, and the 1M section (nearest the pickguard) as a G&L-style bass cut, in reverse - no bass is at 10, normal full tone is at 5, no treble at 0.

There’s a lot of useful info here - https://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/8890/modified-tbx-tone-control

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:

Or, if you don't want all of the five stock settings - many people don't use the middle alone or the bridge alone - you can use some variety of 'superswitch' to give bridge + neck on the main selector.

This is my favourite mod to do on a strat - I replace the middle position with neck+bridge. Keeps a clean look without any additional switches/push-pulls or blenders which I don't enjoy using.