Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Simplest (and cheapest) way into pedal loop switching plus MIDI - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Simplest (and cheapest) way into pedal loop switching plus MIDI

LewyLewy Frets: 3795
I swore I'd never need or want to get into this but now I've settled (for now) at a rig that has two AIAB pedals for core tones and  two MIDI capable pedals on my board (Mobius and Illumine) I think it's inevitable. 

I'm not getting into GigRig spending that's for sure....so what's out there that will let me switch between a few pedals and call up patches on the MIDI enabled pedals in the simplest and cheapest way? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    The simplest is undoubtedly the Morningstar stuff…

Good value 2nd hand, great PC editor and simple to use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    I really like the BOSS ES-5 for this. There's a learning curve for sure, but it's a really capable unit. I think there's a used one in the classifieds for a little over £200.

It also includes both MIDI control and audio loop switching- as far as I know Morningstar don't make anything that does both in one box.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Jono111Jono111 Frets: 135
    I second the es5. It's a great switching pedal, I love the assign feature.
  • Can't recommend the ES- 5. I used one on a smaller board I was touring with. There's a delay in switching the loop on and the effect actually turning on. Its slight, but noticable enough that I would never use it again. Might not be a problem for you, but it drove me crazy.

Replaced it with the larger Es8 switcher which doesn't have the switching delay. However, I had issues with it totally freezing and even re-setting during shows. Straight in the bin. Expected better from Boss. 

Eventually got a Gigrig Atom and haven't looked back. Absolutely zero issues after hundreds of shows. Wish there was a cheaper and smaller option for a smaller board, but haven't one. 

Good deals with: miserneil, HoraceB, Gassage, Castro, smogfalls

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 569
    Depending on how many midi messages you want to send, the Joyo (Harley Benton) PXL Live is sub £200 has eight loops and will do stomp and preset mode.

It's only downsides are that it can only send  two midi messages per press (I think one PC and one CC) and doesn't have an editor, you have to programme it using the unit itself.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited August 2023
    Can't recommend the ES- 5. I used one on a smaller board I was touring with. There's a delay in switching the loop on and the effect actually turning on. Its slight, but noticable enough that I would never use it again. Might not be a problem for you, but it drove me crazy.
    Did you set the patch change time to 0?

I have the ES-8 and I had the same problem until I changed this setting

Replaced it with the larger Es8 switcher which doesn't have the switching delay. However, I had issues with it totally freezing and even re-setting during shows. Straight in the bin. Expected better from Boss. 
    That is disappointing. I have had mine for 3 years and not had a single issue like that, touch wood (or aircraft grade aluminium)
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    another vote for ES5. 

mine has been solid, and no noticeable delay in switching. 

• onyironyir Frets: 39
    edited August 2023
    Never had a problem with my Boss ES-5 either. Rock solid performance, and easy to program once you understand Assigns
    (and yes, mine's on sale in the classifieds, but because i've gone to the dark side...)
  • masslessmassless Frets: 24
    Had an ES5, can't remember why now but it didn't work for me. What did was the Decibel 11 Switch Dr. It does both midi and manual channel switching (for normal amps) as well as having loops and is built very sturdily. Hard to find in the UK I imagine.
  • I'm running an ES-5 right now - bought new. No issues at all. Very happy. 5 effects into 5 loops, controlling two of them using MIDI to select the presets I want from them. You can have 8 MIDI command sets per preset, which can be both a PC command and a CC command (for me, selecting a preset and turning the pedal on, but only using one of the 8 sets per pedal). 

It's instantaneous as far as I can tell. I've got the old school analogue pedals always turned on and the loops activate immediately. The MIDI-based pedals load the preset (and turn themselves on) immediately and activate the loop.

I did start with a second-hand one - with some functionality problems - that I was able to return to the eBay seller.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    massless said:
    Had an ES5, can't remember why now but it didn't work for me. What did was the Decibel 11 Switch Dr. It does both midi and manual channel switching (for normal amps) as well as having loops and is built very sturdily. Hard to find in the UK I imagine.
    I had a DB11 SwDr before the ES5. 
    was very easy to use. Buta bit  limited by only having 4 loops & switches. 

also its a tank! takes up so much space. 
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1030
    edited September 2023
    Decibel Eleven Switch Doctor. I have one that is surplus to requirements. I was using it as a midi controller for a Tonex pedal. PM me @Lewy if you are interested. It can send Midi PC and CC commands and has 4 pedal loops.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    ES-5. About to sell mine but I keep holding back as I love it in reserve for that day when I might need again.