Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What fits in a Fender case - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What fits in a Fender case

What's Hot
MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 211
Hi all

I am considering a new Tele which comes with a Fender hard case. I've been investigating this partly as I want a Tele and I also have space issues so the case seems like a good way to get a lesser played guitar out the way safely under a bed. The guitar and case is also a good deal price wise.

My question is whether a Squier Mustang would fit properly in a Fender Tele case. I believe there are different models of case but, as you an tell, I know nothing about them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Not sure about a Mustang, but my Jaguar doesn't fit in my rectangular 2012 usa telecaster case. However my strat fits fine.

I'm sure someone else can cconfirm. #offsetproblems :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    My "Rick-a-like" 12 string homage fits in my Telecaster case if that helps
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    I can confirm a human body does not without the aid of acid. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited August 2023
    Telecaster and Stratocaster form-fit cases have a straight "waist" between the upper and lower bouts.

All but the earliest Fender Mustangs have an offset waist. They are also narrower across the body than the T and S types, meaning that they will rattle about in the case.

The basic rectangular luggage case with a storage pocket should be fine EXCEPT that a Mustang might slide from end to end.

Heartwood said:
    my Jaguar doesn't fit in my rectangular 2012 usa telecaster case.
    The case for Jazzmasters and Jaguars is roughly an inch and a half longer to accommodate the swept body shape.
    Be seeing you.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    A Strat and Tele will fit in a conventional Fender case - Be it semi shaped with contoured/shaped padding inside or the 'open plan' format of case with no/little internal contoured/shaped padding

Most 'offset models' don't fit in a Fender Strat/Tele case - Certainly Jags and Jazzmasters don't fit in a Strat/Tele case - I'm the same as @Heartwood in that I'm not sure about a Mustang, but would gamble that it will fit a Strat/Tele case
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 211
    I used to have a Jagstang that 'fit' in a non Fender case if you angled it corner to corner and shut the lid very carefully. It must have been crammed inside - not ideal.

One of the selling points of this Tele is the case if it fits the Mustang. Otherwise I end up with two extra items to find space for.

I suppose I could ask the shop (it's not nearby so I can't go it and test it).

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I used to have a Jagstang that 'fit' in a non Fender case if you angled it corner to corner and shut the lid very carefully. It must have been crammed inside - not ideal.

One of the selling points of this Tele is the case if it fits the Mustang. Otherwise I end up with two extra items to find space for.

I suppose I could ask the shop (it's not nearby so I can't go it and test it).

many non Fender cases are 'open plan' inside, so easier to do as described above - They are mass produced to be one case fits all, or at least many

But if they have contoured/shaped padding with appropriate neck support you can't 'twist' such a off set body into those cases that are generally designed for one model/shape
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Don't bother asking Andertons. They'll tell you it will fit to make the sale, and then when it doesn't they will blame you for ordering the wrong one. That's what happened to me anyway
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    It should be a loose fit, mustangs are pretty small
    roberty said:
    Don't bother asking Andertons. They'll tell you it will fit to make the sale, and then when it doesn't they will blame you for ordering the wrong one. That's what happened to me anyway
    It's not Andertons. Although I am odd in that I enjoy arguments like that :)

I've had decent service from Andertons, GAK and PMT although in those instances my order has been pretty straightforward.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    munckee said:
    I can confirm a human body does not without the aid of acid. 
    Taking acid and then trying to get a body into a guitar case sounds both horrific and hilarious. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1477
    My Mustang will not fit in a G&G Tele hardcase.

And from memory, neither in a Classic Series Fender case.

If no shops can do a (literally) two minute test for you, perhaps fire a quick question to Fender Customer Service ? They have always been super helpful with these kinds of queries.
    Cheers @SPECTRUM001 I guess it depends on what they have in stock and open. If it comes to it I could possibly fit a strat type in it, but I like having that out so I can use the trem when the mood takes me.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Where are you based? If local to me (or not if you’re prepared to travel) you’re welcome to come and try my case. But mine’s a Hiscox so may be a different size to the Fender one. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909

If no shops can do a (literally) two minute test for you, perhaps fire a quick question to Fender Customer Service ? They have always been super helpful with these kinds of queries.
    I wanted to buy a Fender gigbag for my niece’s Squier Jaguar bass - an odd one as it’s 32” scale and they make gigbags for 34” scale or 30” scale basses. I got a quick and accurate reply from Fender UK customer services.

Incidentally, the full size gigbag was a perfect fit as the marginally shorter scale was offset (see what I did there?) by the larger Jaguar shape body.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1300
    mustangs don't fit strat/tele cases but you can fit a strat in a mustang case.