Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). WTB: Seymour Duncan SM-1b & n Firebird mini humbuckers - Parts £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

WTB: Seymour Duncan SM-1b & n Firebird mini humbuckers

What's Hot
Looking to put some in a Strat, thought I'd ask here before heading off to the shops.

Anyone got some lying around?
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    CAUTION: SD SM mini humbuckers do not conform exactly to vintage Gibson Firebird specifications or construction. They are nice pickups but they sound more generic than, say, Oil City Winterizer or MojoTone Johnny Winter model pickups.

If you already have a HH or HSH pickguard available, consider the Oil City Winterizer II.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks, hadn’t heard of the Oil City, I’ll look into that.
    I have an SM-1B on my D’Angelico and I like it, but I’m happy to try play around in that ball park.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 237
    Hmm I have an SM-1n that I bought recently and was under the impression it was a Firebird style pickup. I've not installed it yet so can't confirm but the description suggests it has a single coil tonality which sounds a bit like a FB mini to me. 

I know some of the other SD minis have been 'Seymourised'. Whether that means they have a different construction I don't know. 

One thing is for sure is that there is a very annoying variance in the dimensions of mini humbuckers. I might not get round to installing the sm1 as the cutout in my scratchplate is a different size. It will fit but there's a gap that looks a bit weird. 
  • The (Seymour Duncan) description of it certainly suggests it's a Firebird design and not a mini-humbucker..
    There's also a video on Facebook explaining the differences and a direct A/B comparison is carried out between the two.