Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fingerpicking course for beginners… any ideas? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fingerpicking course for beginners… any ideas?

What's Hot
RichACRichAC Frets: 595
My dad is interested in learning fingerstyle guitar - he’d like to be able to play - in his words - ‘proper tunes” which I take to mean bass, chords and melody all picked at once. He’s OK at playing single-note melodies (he likes the Shadows) with a pick but is a total beginner at fingerstyle. This would be on either his Washburn acoustic or a Squier Affinity Strat.

Can anyone recommend any online courses? Ta.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Not a course but I think the Mark Hanson book “Beyond Basics Fingerstyle Guitar” is very good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 595
    drofluf said:
    Not a course but I think the Mark Hanson book “Beyond Basics Fingerstyle Guitar” is very good. 
    Thanks - I’ve passed that on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Fretboard Confidential (David Hamburger) on YouTube is good for fingerstyle blues.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    For the ambitious, there used to be a Tommy Emmanuel tutor book with Italian notation and tablature.

This has probably been superseded by online video lessons via services such as True Fire. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    edited August 2023
    Kilgore said:
    Fretboard Confidential (David Hamburger) on YouTube is good for fingerstyle blues.
    An emphatic YES to that from me. (And obviously, the skills are readily transferrable to other styles of music. He teaches (mostly) blues but that equips you to play most other things.)
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 595
    Thanks everyone. I’m passing these suggestions on.  :)