Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anyone else see Femke Bol in the womens 4 x 400 final? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Anyone else see Femke Bol in the womens 4 x 400 final?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
Wow, what an incredible run! I've watched it several times now. If anyone is interested this link goes to the last lap, with Femke in 3rd. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/athletics/66635739

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    Yes, fabulous running. Sign of a champ when you can literally fall flat on your face on the first day and then win two golds.

Very likeable person too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Yes. I watched it. 

She’s a great athlete. 

Felt awful for her when she fell in the mixed relay. 

I’ve done the same, except I was only running for my county. I still felt a right prick. She was in the WC. 

Made up for it in the best way possible. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I hadn’t. Although I was quickly flicking through Recent Discussions on here and my interest was piqued by the thought of Frankie Boyle in the women’s 4x400 so have now watched the clip. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Every time I watch the clip it just looks like she doesn't have time to catch up in the home straight!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    axisus said:
    Every time I watch the clip it just looks like she doesn't have time to catch up in the home straight!

It was a very impressive run, but the Jamaican went out too hard and had completely run out of steam.

If the Jamaican has gone off at a more sensible pace, Bol wouldn't have had so much ground to make up at the end though.  She would probably still have won, but it wouldn't have looked so spectacular.
  • Shrews said:
    Yes, fabulous running. Sign of a champ when you can literally fall flat on your face on the first day and then win two golds.

Very likeable person too. 
    Absolutely. It was a fine example of timing your (exceptional) speed to perfection. Williams (Jamaica) did go flat out too early and she was tightening up in the last 30m or so. Femke Bol is one of those rare athletes who manages to maintain a relaxed gait while absolutely going for it. After the debacle of the mixed 4x400m, she showed her mettle and class. A wonderful athlete and she does seem to be a genuinely likeable person to boot.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Agree with the above

But magic moment of the games is this long jump attempt - sensational

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/athletics/66616908
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Agree with the above

But magic moment of the games is this long jump attempt - sensational

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/athletics/66616908
    I'm sure there's a lot of distance to be got from that technique! 

Seems dumb to me, I've been watching athletics since the mid 70s and I've never seen a jumper slip like that before. Apparently they have removed the plasticine strip which has clearly left a more slippy area! Tw*ts, put the plasticine back!
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    That long jump slip is crazy. Why change the plasticine? Cost? Something ethical (green etc)?

If it aint broke don't fix it. Right now it does need fixing because something is going to break. Probably a leg. 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    A legal jump wouldn’t touch the plasticine though? It was used to determine a no jump
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    For a split second (on seeing the thread headline)…. I thought to myself…..”what’s Frankie Boyle doing running in a 4 x 400m running race, let alone a Women’s race….. B)