Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boss TU-2 Tuner microphonic? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boss TU-2 Tuner microphonic?

What's Hot
nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 289
I was swapping a pedal over and I noticed when I tapped the case of the Boss TU-2 the sound was coming through the amp. Is this a thing? I'm pretty sure it hasn't got a built in microphone like some tuners. When you unplug it you can heat the springy sound of the jack being amplified (yeah I realise that isn't going to cause me any problems, but it still seems odd)

I've tried power supply and battery, seems to make no difference.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 289
    Update: tried some some contact cleaner on a cotton bud and then plugged the cable in and out a few times. Seems a bit better, but not 100%. Very odd.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Have you tried a different cable (could it be a connection fault in the cable rather than the tuner)?
    Have you tried a different cable (could it be a connection fault in the cable rather than the tuner)?
    Yes, just tried that - no difference.

Interestingly it can amplify the tapping on the case if the tuner is plugged straight into the amp, but with nothing plugged into the tuner. (The amp needs to be fairly loud to hear it mind you)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    It's usually the input jack, so it tends not to do it when there's a cable plugged in.

Yes, I'm entirely serious, it's something I've noticed on quite a few pedals!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Very strange. I wonder if @icbm has encountered this before?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @ICBM so do you mean something's up with the input? And is it fixable? I've got a feeling when I've tried to look inside Boss pedals it's all a bit hard to get to.
    He has!  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2023
    Beat you to it .

I have actually wondered what the mechanism is - my best guess is that it's the sprung metal contact essentially acting as a very small capacitor by being near the grounded strip up the side of the jack, and hence when it vibrates, generating a tiny signal if there's even the slightest DC voltage on it. Given that the input impedance of the circuit is very high - usually 1M or higher - this might be enough to then be amplified.

nonesuch said:
    @ICBM so do you mean something's up with the input? And is it fixable? I've got a feeling when I've tried to look inside Boss pedals it's all a bit hard to get to.
    No, that it's normal and nothing to worry about. It seems to not happen when the plug is in - because the contact then can't vibrate - so it would only be an issue if you left the board powered up with no input cable, and connected to a very high gain amp, loud enough to then feed back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    No, that it's normal and nothing to worry about. It seems to not happen when the plug is in - because the contact then can't vibrate - so it would only be an issue if you left the board powered up with no input cable, and connected to a very high gain amp, loud enough to then feed back.
    I'm sure when I first noticed it earlier on, everything was plugged in, but after I cleaned the input jack it only seems to be noticeable when nothing's plugged into the input. 

And I did have a high gain fuzz pedal turned on when it first happened, which makes sense with what you're saying.
    ICBM said:
    Beat you to it .

:+1: That was pretty impressive. When there’s something strange who you gonna call… oh no he’s already here. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    ICBM said:
    Beat you to it .

:+1: That was pretty impressive. When there’s something strange who you gonna call… oh no he’s already here. ;)
    Boast gusters