Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Waterslide Decals on Danish oiled headstocks - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Waterslide Decals on Danish oiled headstocks

What's Hot
WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 169
edited August 2023 in Making & Modding
Morning all,

I'm going to be building a Gear 4 music telecaster kit over the next few weeks and I've Danish oiled the body and headstock in preparation. I've ordered a waterslide decal for the headstock but wanted to see if anyone had had experience of using these onto Danish oiled wood. Some places say it will need a clearcoat, others say it's fine just applied and left. Does anyone have first-hand experience?

Ta.

monquixote said:
I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    It really needs a smooth glossy surface such as lacquer. A waterslide transfer won't properly adhere to lightly oiled wood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 169
    It really needs a smooth glossy surface such as lacquer. A waterslide transfer won't properly adhere to lightly oiled wood.
    ok, I was considering applying the decal to the wood and then clearcoating over. If I read you right I'd be better clearcoating the headstock and then applying to that?
    monquixote said:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    It won't work on bare wood or an oiled surface..  I lacquer the headstock face when  doing an piled neck 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • On my partscaster I used a waterslide decal on top of tru-oil then added some more tru-oil on top, worked great for me.

(I did get a professional company to make a waterslide for me though, not just from an inkjet printer or anything. The company I used make the waterslides that restaurants use for printing menus onto glass/mirrors/etc. and is significantly thicker and higher quality than other waterslides I've seen - not sure if that makes a difference or not)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 169
    Thanks all, clearcoat applied!

monquixote said:

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    I’ve applied waterslides to a tung oiled headstock without problems 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Honestly.   It's not worth the risk. 

I've had some fall straight off, others seem to stick but don't survive much wear at all.   I've had this with homemade decals and ones purchased from proper suppliers.