Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anyone on Fiverr? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Anyone on Fiverr?

What's Hot
As titled. Thinking about a couple of things to offer cheap services for music stuff, mostly to get some varied experience. Remote session guitarist is my most likely starting point. 

Just wondering if anyone has used it from buy or sell side and might have any guidance? 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Never even heard of it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited August 2023
    Never even heard of it!
    it's not a bad concept, basically covering the following as remote services for e.g.  Graphics & Design, Digital Marketing, Writing & Translation, Music/Audio, web dev etc 

But I don't know how well it actually works for either side. My goal would be gaining experience and portfolio far more than cash, so I can't see any obvious pifalls but keen to see if anyone knows different 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    I really like the idea of doing stuff on Fiverr for the variety, but...time, I just don't have enough of it. Also, if it's anything like previous similar sites, you have to build up a good reputation before you can charge anything like a reasonable wage.
    <space for hire>
    Yeah, I thought about it for Excel stuff as well but as you say I think it's much better looked at as a contacts & portfolio builder than a revenue generator. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    edited August 2023
    The only thing I've heard about it from graphic design friends is that they feel like it just devalues their work as everyone is just looking for the lowest prices on there. Been thinking about giving it a go for video editing just for a bit of extra cash but it seems like the kind of place that would be full of nightmare clients and not worth the hassle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7928
    edited August 2023
    An issue with those services is you’re not guaranteed a good fit with a customer. So it’s important to know your goals to assess if it aligns.

An alternate option could be to build a reputation in a community where people may hire you. Even if you only do free work at first it makes more sense to do targeted work than random. 

Often people search Fiver with no real idea of who to hire and maybe less experience hiring anyone. The chances of building a rep for good paying work using that methodology are arguably lower and more time intensive than doing something targeted.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    We used it to make a video - we got this for the princely sum of £15. Think it's an amazing service, to be honest.

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Sounds like a good way to exploit people online.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Can’t say I like the look of it tbh. Looks a bit…shady.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Yeah, I thought about it for Excel stuff as well but as you say I think it's much better looked at as a contacts & portfolio builder than a revenue generator. 
    I wonder if it's the sort of thing where a small band of people could provide a wider service. It's hard for any one person to know more than a sliver of Excel.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    I wonder if it's the sort of thing where a small band of people could provide a wider service. It's hard for any one person to know more than a sliver of Excel.
    Oh absolutely. My niche is financial modelling and I'm very aware that's a powerful but tiny chunk of what excel can do and not something someone is going to buy on there, most likely. Hence not going that way
    Sassafras said:
    This is my other concern. I'm quite able to put myself online as a jobbing guitar player for next to no money because I don't need to earn a wage from it. But of course I don't want to take work away from others who might need it. That said I guess that's really the essence of all freelance work, to an extent.
  • Sassafras said:
    This is my other concern. I'm quite able to put myself online as a jobbing guitar player for next to no money because I don't need to earn a wage from it. But of course I don't want to take work away from others who might need it. That said I guess that's really the essence of all freelance work, to an extent.

For an alternate view, most people I know who do session work at (admittedly Western) professional rates don’t use Fiver at all and neither do their typical clients. That kind of client usually wants a safer bet and is willing to pay the going rate. 

It’s not a strict rule of course, but worth making the distinction that unless you’re doing consistent high level work for a low level price plus fast turnaround it’s unlikely to affect more established musicians or attract higher paying clients.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Hattigol said:
    We used it to make a video - we got this for the princely sum of £15. Think it's an amazing service, to be honest.

You did well. Obviously someone looking to develop their portfolio (or else they loved the song).
    Sassafras said:

For an alternate view, most people I know who do session work at (admittedly Western) professional rates don’t use Fiver at all and neither do their typical clients. That kind of client usually wants a safer bet and is willing to pay the going rate. 

It’s not a strict rule of course, but worth making the distinction that unless you’re doing consistent high level work for a low level price plus fast turnaround it’s unlikely to affect more established musicians or attract higher paying clients.

Yep - that's all understood. But I'm looking at an initial thing to do alongside an office job that will help me get some low-key experience. Bearing in mind also I'm based in the UAE where there is square-of-fuck-all music so there's almost zero opportunities to get in with anyone locally.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    I've used it as a client.

I wanted to get some graphics stuff done when I started my own business.

Cheep as chips and tbh that was exactly the quality I got. Never used what I got back.

I have used people per hour to much better effect so may be worth checking that out.

If seems more suited to people who want to buy and sell freelance services at a reasonable market rate.
  • Sassafras said:

Yep - that's all understood. But I'm looking at an initial thing to do alongside an office job that will help me get some low-key experience. Bearing in mind also I'm based in the UAE where there is square-of-fuck-all music so there's almost zero opportunities to get in with anyone locally.

Yeah understood. Opportunities and communities can be found remotely though.

As a suggestion, you could record yourself doing the kind of guitar work you want to attract and post it on Instagram/YouTube/TikTok, and look for relevant Reddit boards/FB groups to join and become a part of (being a contributing member works better than purely posting your content).

You can get more experience doing the recording work even if nobody is paying you yet, plus it forms as your portfolio too. Even if you do create a Fiver account it’s likely a more serious potential client will look you up elsewhere too
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    I used it to get a song mixed. The service was excellent although the engineer was personally recommended by a mate. The Fiverr site came up with a certificate issue when I tried to access it today - never a good look...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    JezWynd said:
    Hattigol said:

You did well. Obviously someone looking to develop their portfolio (or else they loved the song).
    Thanks. As I said, for our purposes, it was absolutely brilliant. Depends what people want to use it for really. 

I mean, £15 for a music video. Mental value, isn't it?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    Hattigol said:

I have just watched and enjoyed that. Reminded me very strongly indeed of Counting Crows who I have enjoyed previously. If that video really cost £15 then it was money well spent.

Thanks very much @Jfingersreally appreciated.

And yes it did. Just sent the guy the tune and the lyrics - £15 and a few days later, we had that.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Used it last month to find a vocalist to sing on a cover video me and 2 friends were making. Was spoilt for choice with singers across the world but settled on a nice American vocalist. Thankfully it all went fine and we got a very good vocal track and they were nice to deal with.
  • Sporky said:
    Oh absolutely. My niche is financial modelling and I'm very aware that's a powerful but tiny chunk of what excel can do and not something someone is going to buy on there, most likely. Hence not going that way

You can make pretty decent money if you're very good with financial spreadsheets on sites like Fiverr.  I've bought a few from Fiverr, literally ''off the shelf'' ones, and even had some made specific to my needs.  If I had the skills or knowledge with Excel, I would sign up to sites like Fiverr, just to make a couple of extra quid on the side.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I’ve had a drummer do tracks for me.

He did an excellent job.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    Never even heard of it!
    Watership Down based dating agency.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I’ve had a drummer do tracks for me.

He did an excellent job.
    I think @willo was looking for a session drummer for a project over in this thread https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/250770/creating-songs-drum-machine/p1.

If you've got a recommendation for a particular player, share the love!

edited August 2023
    I’ve had a drummer do tracks for me.

He did an excellent job.
    I think @willo was looking for a session drummer for a project over in this thread https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/250770/creating-songs-drum-machine/p1.

If you've got a recommendation for a particular player, share the love!

Here's the link

https://www.fiverr.com/glennwelman

He's in this secret shopper thing

Nice - I'd already seen that video. It's probably what put the initial germ of the idea in my head. 
    Sometimes some really big guys use it between tours, and also did so during Covid to at least get some money coming in.

Kenny Aronoff pops up on there sometimes! Needless to say he's a bit more expensive!! :D 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    It's important not to cross-post between Fiverr and Only Fans.

So I hear. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter