Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Dsl40 cr emulated out. Yeah or nay - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Dsl40 cr emulated out. Yeah or nay

relic245relic245 Frets: 822
How good is it? Would you use it on stage instead of using a mic?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Regrettably, it’s practically useless :anguished: 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Yorkie said:
    Regrettably, it’s practically useless :anguished: 
    I can relate
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    It's absolutely useless.

It's a shame you can't turn the speaker emulation off as you could put an IR pedal in the path and it would be a very helpful addition.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    I use it every gig to send a signal through the PA to blend with my backing volume.  Sounds immense out front.
  • fastonebaz said:
    I use it every gig to send a signal through the PA to blend with my backing volume.  Sounds immense out front.
    Yeah, i agree.  Use it all the time.  Sounds great

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    I'm very surprised (and somewhat pleased) that you folks find it sounds great.

I had a DSL20CR on loan for a week and recorded both mic-ed and using the line out; the line out on that amp sounded like a radio with a tiny speaker. In comparison, the Katana next to it sounded almost Hi-Fi (both good and bad, I suppose).

After that, I bought a second hand DSL40C on the basis that I wasn't ever going to use the line out – or the rest of the additional features for that matter (price was also a big factor).
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2023
    I haven't tried the one on the new DSLs, but I think that both opinions may be right at the same time... most or all of the speaker emulations on amps or multi-FX I've heard sound pretty poor in isolation, if you're trying to get the sound of the amp in the room down onto a recording. But in a live mix, they can sound great - at least partly because they do what an SM57 right on the grille cloth does, and cut off everything other than that focused, barky midrange.

I suspect the second is more the design intention than the first - if you're recording, it's more normal to mic the amp, not always very close, and often with more than one. On stage, you want the least possible amount of fuss and clutter, and if anything it's easier to give the engineer something pre-EQ'd to sound like what they're expecting anyway - or if it's not like that already will deliberately do because that's what works best in the mix.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited August 2023
    If a mic is too much "faff" then buy a sennheiser e906, drape the cable through the amp handle and a piece of gaffa to hold it. Even mic'd like that it's going to sound radically better than any emulated line out.