Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Reykjavik? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Reykjavik?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    A whale watching tour in the afternoon on my next day, so probably more wandering in the morning. Definitely will do the belfry at the Cathedral.

Be flexible, and check regularly - Whale watching is very weather dependent, we never managed to leave the harbour in our 5 day stay, so did other things (like the viking longboat museum between the airport and city centre).

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    bassbora said:

Here is my top tip (if you like drinking) get the alcohol in the duty free.  Keflavik has a duty free as you come into the country as well as when you leave the country.  
    Yes- we were amused to see the loooong queue of inbound Icelandic passengers filling up their shopping trollies with booze!  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 128
    Offset said:
    bassbora said:

Here is my top tip (if you like drinking) get the alcohol in the duty free.  Keflavik has a duty free as you come into the country as well as when you leave the country.  
    Yes- we were amused to see the loooong queue of inbound Icelandic passengers filling up their shopping trollies with booze!  
    Haha there is a reason for that   =)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited August 2023
    Hi @bassbora ;; Am I right in thinking that the wages paid to Icelandic people are somewhat higher than for similar jobs in the UK, and that it is therefore slightly less extortionate as a resident to buy food, drink, and other items?
    BillDL said:
    Hi @bassbora ;; Am I right in thinking that the wages paid to Icelandic people are somewhat higher than for similar jobs in the UK, and that it is therefore slightly less extortionate as a resident to buy food, drink, and other items?
    Well I am slightly out of touch but I would say this that taxes are a lot higher.  Just shy of 38% for most people I would think  and everything is a lot more expensive so I would say that cost of living in Iceland is lower than here in UK.  When you actually live with these prices you just get used to them, nothing else you can do about it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Iceland is the world leader in renewables with masses of geothermal and some hydro. This means Icelanders pay a lot less for energy than normal ... which is useful when you live in a country that's generally a freezer or a fridge most of the year. 

Locals pay less for drink and food in bars than tourist, I clocked that straight away on the till LCD. I basically viewed 1000K as 6 quid and that maths proved pretty accurate. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Booked a foodie tour, so looks like I'll probably be having some fermented shark! Wish me luck, haha... :#
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Danny1969 said:

Locals pay less for drink and food in bars than tourist, I clocked that straight away on the till LCD. I basically viewed 1000K as 6 quid and that maths proved pretty accurate. 
    I really dont want to derail this thread but this was something I have never heard.  This was not the case all the years I lived there and I have never come across it the 20 years I have been going back and I always go out to meet friends.

But I thought maybe I have missed something so I asked my parents, siblings and dozens or so friends.  No one has ever heard of this and two people came back to me and said that would actually be illegal (they are both business owners but not in the hospitality industry).  I am not sure what you witnessed.

One of my friends came back and said that there are soon going to be charges for going and seeing the big nature tourist attractions, Gullfoss and Geysir just to name two.  This has always been free but will change and us locals will also have to pay which I can tell you most people are not happy about.
    Booked a foodie tour, so looks like I'll probably be having some fermented shark! Wish me luck, haha... :#
    Thats something I would never eat  =). I hope you have a fantastic time.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    The shark thing smells far worse than it tastes. I promise! Not saying it's "good" by any rational definition though..! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1896
    bassbora said:
    Danny1969 said:

I really dont want to derail this thread but this was something I have never heard.  This was not the case all the years I lived there and I have never come across it the 20 years I have been going back and I always go out to meet friends.

But I thought maybe I have missed something so I asked my parents, siblings and dozens or so friends.  No one has ever heard of this and two people came back to me and said that would actually be illegal (they are both business owners but not in the hospitality industry).  I am not sure what you witnessed.

One of my friends came back and said that there are soon going to be charges for going and seeing the big nature tourist attractions, Gullfoss and Geysir just to name two.  This has always been free but will change and us locals will also have to pay which I can tell you most people are not happy about.
    I lived and worked in Reykjavik for a year and never ever saw this or heard it mentioned. I ate and drank with Icelanders most evenings and never ever saw a difference when they paid or I paid. 

Also, it's not £13 quid for normal beer in normal places. There are generous happy hours where you will pay £4-5 quid for 0.4l, and full price is 6-8 quid. The is an app (think it's "appy hour") to help find where happy hours are.

Thankfully the tipping epidemic has not infected Iceland yet :) 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Booked a foodie tour, so looks like I'll probably be having some fermented shark! Wish me luck, haha... :#
    Not for those with a delicate palate.  It has quite a bite to it.

Sorry.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
    I loved Bonus. I must have looked too dishevelled for a tourist though, as the checkout staff would initially speak to me in Icelandic. 

I think the worst priced thing I bought was a magazine for around £12, because I'd lost my phone and didn't have a TV in the hotel. Read it cover to cover lol
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter