Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I'm beyond useless at combat games - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I'm beyond useless at combat games

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
I play Rust....  a lot......

I get killed....  a LOT.

I can have a top-tier weapon and lose to someone with a damp teatowel.

I just had a battle with one of the NPCs - "scientists" as they're called in the game.  I had a fully loaded machine gun, the NPC has a standard pistol.  We're no more than 15 feet apart.  I panic and empty the entire clip in the general direction of my opponent.  Not only does he not die, but he manages to reload his gun and continues shooting me until yet again, I lose.

There must be something wrong with me.  I can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    Bummer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Now if only the game had an option to steer a homemade radio controlled boat drone full of explosives into the target....;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I'm beyond useless at all video games.
    And I haven't got the patience to try and improve.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 742
    At least you can play them. Any FPS makes me violently travel sick after about 30 mins.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Are there Conscientious Objector and Medic roles in thee games, what about musicians ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    Never played rust myself but watched all of Vertiigo’s videos on YouTube for it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I can't get past all those controls for most games. I like the Wii, you just swing the controller around a bit. That's about my level.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    The sad thing is...age is a factor here. I was insanely good at first-person shooters when I was younger, even to the point of being ranked #1 in the world at the instagib variant of Unreal Tournament for a few weeks in my 20s. I've gone from being able to spin and hit three people jumping off a building before they hit the ground to taking three attempts at hitting a slow-moving NPC in Minecraft, in the space of 15 years.

Frankly, it's embarrassing.
    sev112 said:
    Are there Conscientious Objector and Medic roles in thee games, what about musicians ?
    Yes, they're called bards. They get killed a lot.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    I'm good at the Lego games.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    I used to play a bit of online FPS when I was younger, a few obsessive weeks of Half Life 2 was especially fun (kills with the gravity gun FTW).

As digitalscream said though - as you get older your ability to keep up with a bunch of teenagers who play 14 hours a day diminishes significantly.

I've always loved a game with a story though.  Mass Effect is one of the best sci-fi stories in any medium released in the last 20 years, and by the time I got to the third game, no lie, I genuinely cared about the decisions I made.

I think it's a shame for many FPS games the story/campaign, if there is one, are a small afterthought.  When it isn't, the immersive world of a video game is addictive.

Of course, nothing but nothing beats Red Dead Redemption 2 as an immersive, visually stunning story experience.  If anyone names a game that they think does, I'll probably go straight and buy it.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Never played a video game in my life but when I was in my 20s I had about 6 months of being well into Paintballing......
    Gives you a very mild and tiny glimpse of what it must be like to be in an East Ukrainian Forest right now....
    Horrific whichever side you are on
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I miss the olden days of FPS games. Goldeneye was incredible, then stuff like Unreal Tournament & Quake 3 happened, then Halo & COD4, all of which were brilliant.

These days you need an incredible internet connection and a huge amount of free time to even compete, and whenever you're not playing most games are constantly trying cajole you into spending money. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    digitalscream said:

Yes, they're called bards. They get killed a lot.
    I ignored bards until I saw Lady BMcH playing Neverwinter Nights, buffed to the gills, smashing her way through enemy after enemy like they were inflatable pool novelties.

Bards are good.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    This game looks pretty cool, I'm bit of out of the gaming loop - I've preordered Starfield and intend to properly dive into it next month though...
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    They bore me out of my brain. But that's OK. Mrs Tannin loves them and is probably quite good at them. (I wouldn't know.) I pick up the guitar and she logs on to Megadeathstardungeonwizardquest 12 (or something) and we are both happy. :)
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1572
    Emp_Fab said:
    I play Rust....  a lot......

I get killed....  a LOT.

I can have a top-tier weapon and lose to someone with a damp teatowel.

I just had a battle with one of the NPCs - "scientists" as they're called in the game.  I had a fully loaded machine gun, the NPC has a standard pistol.  We're no more than 15 feet apart.  I panic and empty the entire clip in the general direction of my opponent.  Not only does he not die, but he manages to reload his gun and continues shooting me until yet again, I lose.

There must be something wrong with me.  I can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

Sounds like you’re a shoe-in for a job as a Stormtrooper
  • I used to play a bit of online FPS when I was younger, a few obsessive weeks of Half Life 2 was especially fun (kills with the gravity gun FTW).

As digitalscream said though - as you get older your ability to keep up with a bunch of teenagers who play 14 hours a day diminishes significantly.

I've always loved a game with a story though.  Mass Effect is one of the best sci-fi stories in any medium released in the last 20 years, and by the time I got to the third game, no lie, I genuinely cared about the decisions I made.

I think it's a shame for many FPS games the story/campaign, if there is one, are a small afterthought.  When it isn't, the immersive world of a video game is addictive.

Of course, nothing but nothing beats Red Dead Redemption 2 as an immersive, visually stunning story experience.  If anyone names a game that they think does, I'll probably go straight and buy it.
    Do you have a PC with VR? Half Life Alyx is possibly my favourite game I've ever played, plus the fact there is such a large community of models creating secondary games using the assets gives it huge legs too. Nothing beats the feeling of having to physically hide behind something to avoid being shot at, it's just incredible. I upgraded my headset this year at great expense just to keep playing it with ever better visuals. 

I played through RDR2 twice in the last 9 months, it's definitely one of my favourite ever gaming experiences. Also did God Of War last year too and really enjoyed that, in spite of some grinding in there that could get annoying.  
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    I used to play a bit of online FPS when I was younger, a few obsessive weeks of Half Life 2 was especially fun (kills with the gravity gun FTW).

Do you have a PC with VR? Half Life Alyx is possibly my favourite game I've ever played, plus the fact there is such a large community of models creating secondary games using the assets gives it huge legs too. Nothing beats the feeling of having to physically hide behind something to avoid being shot at, it's just incredible. I upgraded my headset this year at great expense just to keep playing it with ever better visuals. 

I played through RDR2 twice in the last 9 months, it's definitely one of my favourite ever gaming experiences. Also did God Of War last year too and really enjoyed that, in spite of some grinding in there that could get annoying.  
    No I don't but Alyx has really tempted me, it looks brilliant.

RDR2 is one of the most immersive gaming worlds I can possibly imagine.  While the story takes you around a lot of the map there is sooo much to see beyond that.  Hell there's even a sodding vampire!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited August 2023

No I don't but Alyx has really tempted me, it looks brilliant.

RDR2 is one of the most immersive gaming worlds I can possibly imagine.  While the story takes you around a lot of the map there is sooo much to see beyond that.  Hell there's even a sodding vampire!
    If you can get a mate to let you have a few hours with it, I'd highly recommend trying it. I waited quite a while before finally buying it, having spent so much money on a fairly hefty Sim Racing setup I felt I didn't need any extra gaming options... but I was so so wrong! 

RDR2 was the first time I've played a game and felt a genuine sadness upon coming to the end of it (I'll avoid giving anything away for anyone who hasn't played it). Wonderful game with so so much to explore, I had to play it again from the start almost straight after finishing it.