Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Occasional sharp crackle from DSL. Time to get spare EL34’s? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Occasional sharp crackle from DSL. Time to get spare EL34’s?

Bought new around April so annoyingly valves probably out of warranty by now. I have some spare 12ax7’s but not EL34’s, probably sensible in any case to have a matched spare pair of bog standard JJ’s - if it turns out to be one of the 12ax7’s e.g. phase inverter at least the 34’s will be useful eventually.

Still annoying though. I imagine there’s probably virtually no grading with stock valves for most non-boutique amp makers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Thankfully you said bought new in April :)... my first thought when you said DSL was one of the notorious arcing problems that afflicted the original UK-made JCM2000 ones.

If it is valve-related, a sharp crackle is most likely to be an EL34, but it could also be V3, which is the cathode-follower in the preamp. It's less likely to be any of the other preamp valves (although still possible).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks @ICBM - do Marshall have the DSL preamp valves in an odd layout E.g. back to front in terms of usual numbering?
    No, V1 should be at the input jack end and V4 furthest from it.

I only have the schematic for the 40 and 100, but I think the 20 is the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Thanks, it’s the 40. I will say that it was biased too hot out of the box (41/42mV and Marshall said it should be 35 per side), but I corrected it fairly quickly and it’s not been thrashed. 

Oh well - I had a 6V6 crap out after a couple of weeks in a new Princeton a couple of years ago, I pretty much expect it.
  • Actually now I think about it there’s been a soft burbling background noise pretty much constantly which seems unaffected by master/volumes etc.

Could that also be the cathode follower?
    Actually now I think about it there’s been a soft burbling background noise pretty much constantly which seems unaffected by master/volumes etc.

Could that also be the cathode follower?
    Probably not, the cathode follower is before the master volumes.

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 721
    edited August 2023
    I swapped out the stock 12ax7’s in both V3 and V4 with fresh JJ’s. No further crackles at the moment, and the low-level rustling seems much reduced. I suppose I should have just done it one at a time as it was unlikely to be both valves playing up. Oh well. 

Have ordered a spare set of EL34’s as well, as they’ll be needed sooner or later.