Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 2 Ivison Dakotas - Korina Dakota and Dakota One - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

2 Ivison Dakotas - Korina Dakota and Dakota One

What's Hot
lawrevlawrev Frets: 17
edited August 2023 in Guitar
Here are my two Dakotas - a Dakota One in Ember Red and a Korina Dakota with an aged tint. A number of enhancements to each. @IvisonGuitars does a fantastic job with these - no disappointment!

0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Lovely!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Prefer the gold top but both look nice 
    What enhancements have you had
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lawrevlawrev Frets: 17
    Prefer the gold top but both look nice 
    What enhancements have you had

On the Dakota One - neck binding, Mother of Pearl Ivison name on headstock, the finish color, 63 neck, dial pointers
    On the Korina Dakota - the PAF at the bridge, 2 knobs instead of 4, Mother of Peal Ivison name on headstock, 63 neck, dial pointers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Just gorgeous  <3

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Just gorgeous  <3

I love Life of Brian!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    That goldtop is the biz.  Love Neils stuff 

youre a lucky man! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    It’s natural korina rather than goldtop right?
  • elstoof said:
    Aye
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1790
    I’d love to see a Dakota with a trem on it. I’ve been told Neil does add them upon request 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    elstoof said:
    Yes - the body and neck are choice Korina - it has a flame going on which hasn't been captured yet in my photos, but I will be sure to do that. Neil did a great job on pairing the wood. The 1999 Gibson Custom Shop Korina Les Paul Junior I own has some darker Korina (also called Limba) in with the more golden Korina although that body is one piece. The Korina Dakota is a 3 piece body because the center part is raised like on a Firebird. Plus the Junior's wood is much older. But both are great guitars in their own right!

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    Aye
    I got it wrong - Initially looked at this thread on my phone and could not really see the true colour - Looks cool - Enjoy
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    Beauties! Would love to see some better pics of the Korina Dakota.
  • They look fantastic. Agree would be good to see some more photos.
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 238
    They both look excellent, my favourite is the orange one - it cheers me up on a dull bank holiday Monday!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    FB/HB is such a good pickup combo. Nice one what a pair 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 388
    I’d love to see a Dakota with a trem on it. I’ve been told Neil does add them upon request 
    https://www.coda-music.com/electric-guitars/ivison-dakota-vii-sunburst.html
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    The sand coloured one looks great. I'm really not a fan of Orange as a colour though.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    axisus said:
    I'm really not a fan of Orange as a colour though.
    ^^This needs to be moved to the 'Controversial guitar opinions' thread.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thinking of selling my pink Dakota because I have a Hurricane 59 on the way… wish I could keep them both!

his Korina guitars look fantastic
    edited August 2023
    Note to all: the Dakota One in the pic is Ember Red not orange and the Dakota Korina is, er, natural Korina and not gold or sand!  :)
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 511
    edited August 2023
    Offset said:
    axisus said:
    Is ‘orange’ even an option as a finish?  =)
    TDubs said:
    Offset said:
    axisus said:
    It shouldn’t be, but Fender do a ‘Capri Orange’ finish.  :o
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 511
    TDubs said:
    Offset said:
    axisus said:
    It shouldn’t be, but Fender do a ‘Capri Orange’ finish.  :o
    Ah yeah, those 70s Mustangs!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Offset said:
    axisus said:
    To the 'Controversial Opinions When in the Netherlands ' thread. 

Very nice looking instruments. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    TDubs said:
    Offset said:
    axisus said:
    Oh yes.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 237
    @lawrev how are you finding the Firebird pickup compared to the PAF style pickup? Is it a lot brighter or quieter? Does it get Neil Young tones if you're into that sort of thing?
  • @pluckbuddy ; I love the Sunbear Sunbird pickups. The overwound in my Dakota One is just right - smooth but with a bit of push, and the neck Sunbird in the Dakota meshes well with the PAF. Stu does a great job at Sunbear - explain to him what you desire.
  • elstoof said:

The Dakota is Korina wood - Neil calls it an antique natural finish. Not a gold top. And the Ember Red is not an orange color - it just looks that way in the sun, sometimes.

• Beauties! Would love to see some better pics of the Korina Dakota.

Have better photos of both guitars - but I need to reaquaint myself on how to upload photos. I can't do a straight jpeg upload.

And I need to do a better job checking this board - Being in the USA I don't always think of coming here. But I have talked to @IvisonGuitars about a visit to the UK later in the year. My apologies for the tardy responses.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    Well I seem to be the odd one out, I prefer the single pick version, but them Im a sucker for a single pickup guitar, I also like Capri Orange, Ill get my coat
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll