Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What's the best way to use harmony machines? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What's the best way to use harmony machines?

FlipFlip Frets: 54
I have just managed to find a reasonably priced Harmony Machine – that's a description not a brand name – and would like to seek some advice from existing users.

I play at a number of open mic events and view this purchase as a way of being 'different' - something that should be a pre-requisite at all these events but isn't! First my intention is to use it sparingly – like any effect, I'm certain overuse will ruin the impact.

Second, I've bought a fairly old Digitech box that has, for me anyway, the most important feature – that it's driven by guitar. A box that 'guesses' what I'm going to play and doesn't follow me through key changes seems pointless. It's robust, has good size pedals so right for the job.

Third, as a man with a baritone/low tenor range I think the high harmonies will be the most useful - a trio of baritones and basses seems to have limited appeal.

Finally, technique. It seems to me from the noodling I've been doing so far that the key is to ditch any technique learnt in groups and choirs (of which I've done a bit) and ignore the harmonies that are being produced. That's key when sining with real singers of course, but with a box it seems to produce disaster. Any adjustments one makes as the 'lead' singer simply makes the harmonies awful. The key seems to be to ignore the 'other members of the group' and to let the box do what it's been designed to do. That means play clean, accurate chords (even if they're put through pedals etc after the harmony machine) and sing as accurately as possible. What I mean is that I don't think Leonard Cohen or Joe Cocker would have been happy with what a harmony machine did for them! I'd like to think the box would follow the chords to 'The Girl From Ipanema' but I'm not hopeful. Rather, I envision it as a way of enhancing the chorus sections of ballads and country songs, but very successfully the experience of other users would be welcome.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter