Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). FS/FT PRS CU24 Private Stock and Gibson Murphy Lab '63 Firebird V Ember Red - Guitars £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

FS/FT PRS CU24 Private Stock and Gibson Murphy Lab '63 Firebird V Ember Red

What's Hot
Norlin4lifeNorlin4life Frets: 213
edited October 2023 in Guitars £
First up is my Private Stock CU24 - Traded. This is one of the finest sounding guitars I've ever owned, and I've had a fair few. I was looking for a CU24 with an ash body/maple neck combo for a while to get closer to a single coil sound in positions 2 and 5, and boy does this deliver. You get huge amounts of quack that rival my MEV but a much fatter and more pleasing humbucking tone in 1 and 5. The 53/10 pickups quickly became my all time favourites after being introduced to them on a ME Quatro. They are no longer available and were made with vintage wire on the actual machine used to wind early Tele pickups (from my understanding). 

One piece swamp ash bodies are only available through the Private Stock and this one has spectacular grain. The figured maple neck and top aren't too shabby either! The finish is Ultraviolet which later became known as Faded Ultraviolet (this is the original colour and hasn't faded) with normal ultraviolet being more of a blue/purple tone. Fretboard and headstock veneer is Cocobolo which is more dense than EIR and sits between that and ebony.

It's had a recent pro set up as I was struggling to get the trem floating to the factory spec, but it's now exactly as it should be with a beautifully low action to boot.

When I purchased the guitar it had some V12 finish blushing on the heel of the neck. This was unfortunately quite common for V12 finished guitars that used certain types of stain and is apparently due to moisture in the stain not being able to escape. This blushing happened a decade ago and hasn't gotten any worse in that time. PRS will refinish the whole guitar for a grand, but it's really never bothered me. Comes with all the case candy, leather case, original CoA as well as a laminated photocopy.

I'm after a trade only for this beauty so let me know what you have! Trade value around £5500 NOW TRADED (to buy one now would be around £10,000)

Next up is a rather stunning Murphy Lab Firebird V (1963) in Ember Red. I received this in a part trade and it was purchased new from Andertons last year. It's had almost no playing time and is in new condition. The Ultra Light Ageing is very tasteful and gives a beautiful worn in look without going over the top. I can't really say too much about this guitar as Firebirds aren't my bag, but if I were to only hang one guitar on the wall to look at... Comes with it's original CS Case, CoA and all case candy/gubbins.

Trades or a straight up sale are both fine and I'm pricing it at £5500. New lower cash price at £5,000 The Faded Ember Red model retails for £300 more than the Pelham Blue ones (no idea why) and come in at £7400.

Pics of both below:

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KeikoKeiko Frets: 878
    dentist alert! =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2142
    edited August 2023
    Lovely couple of guitars.

What were you thinking about in terms of trades?
    Do you have anything specific in mind?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That PRS looks amazing. GLWTS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • andy1839 said:
    Lovely couple of guitars.

What were you thinking about in terms of trades?
    Do you have anythign specific in mind?
    Thanks Andy! Nothing specific really, I’ll listen to any trade ideas (multiple trades as well). The only exception being pointy shred style guitars which I’m not really into. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    edited August 2023
    Stunning stunning private stock. 
    My private stocks are all lifers. They’re inspirational.
    Oh and 53/10 pickups are brilliant. Tele to lp style without the ice pick
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    Blimey, I'm not a PRS fan ( or a dentist grin ) but that CU -24 is just absolutely stunning.  :o 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • chris78 said:
    Stunning stunning private stock. 
    My private stocks are all lifers. They’re inspirational.
    Oh and 53/10 pickups are brilliant. Tele to lp style without the ice pick
    Dude, I’ve got you to thank for the 53/10 knowledge! They really are magical. I’d have sets in a few other guitars if PRS still made them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Keiko said:
    dentist alert! =)
    Architect Alert....Exceptional though the PRS is it's upstaged by the chocolate brown Ligne Roset Togo ;great choice of colour
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    That firebird is perhaps the nicest shade of red I've seen on a guitar 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dominic said:
    Keiko said:
    dentist alert! =)
    Architect Alert....Exceptional though the PRS is it's upstaged by the chocolate brown Ligne Roset Togo ;great choice of colour
    ;) The other half moans that they are too comfy/squidgy, but isn’t that the whole point!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    My other half moans that they are too low ( we're both tall ).....I built some box plinths about 5 inches high and upholstered the sides in the same leather ......they are about 6 inches shorter all around than the sofas so you dont actually see them and the units appear to float ........like a shadow gap plinth
    They are secured on with velcro.
    Perfect height and comfort now.
  • Dominic said:
    My other half moans that they are too low ( we're both tall ).....I built some box plinths about 5 inches high and upholstered the sides in the same leather ......they are about 6 inches shorter all around than the sofas so you dont actually see them and the units appear to float ........like a shadow gap plinth
    They are secured on with velcro.
    Perfect height and comfort now.
    That’s actually a touch of genius. We just flood them with cushions, but it’s become a fortress for the cats.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    That Firebird really is a bit special.  Offhand I can't remember seeing a cooler guitar. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Offset said:
    That Firebird really is a bit special.  Offhand I can't remember seeing a cooler guitar. 
    It's an insanely cool guitar that one, fantastic
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Boink 
  • Upski
  • Trade now pending on the PS. The Firebird is still available 
  • Bump for a beautiful Bird
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    I'm not a PRS guy but god damn that's a beautiful one, also the Firebird is just stellar.
  • Slick Firebird!!!
  • Norlin4lifeNorlin4life Frets: 213
    edited September 2023
    Thanks guys! Firebird now reduced to £5000
  • Firebird looking to fly to a new home
  • Firebird still available!
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 765
    Firebird still available!
    Only wish i had the funds or a guitar you want in exchange
  • adampeter said:
    Firebird still available!
    Only wish i had the funds or a guitar you want in exchange
    Try me! Anything you feel like parting with other than the masterbuilt Strat?