Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What used mobile ? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What used mobile ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
I need a replacement phone.  I'm not willing to spend stupid money on a new one, so I'm looking at used from somewhere like backmarket.co.uk .  I have no real need for anything fancy, I use it as a phone and for web browsing - that's it.  I couldn't care less about megapixels of the photos or stuff like that, but I do want it to be responsive...  laggy browsing drives me mad.  Budget is £150 used.

The problem I've got is that there are a thousand different models available - and that's just within Samsung!

I have no idea beyond the S range is the top end line and the A range the mid line...   I wonder if there's an M, S, U, N & G range too ?

Just limiting to my budget, it's giving me 770 different options !!!

I can't analyse all that !!!

What's a good phone - please !!!

https://www.backmarket.co.uk/en-gb/l/smartphones/6c290010-c0c2-47a4-b68a-ac2ec2b64dca#price=0&price=150

Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    100 page thread coming up!

You need to tell us all your criteria that you haven't told us about which will pop up later, like "it can't be black" lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Pop along to your local CEX or online & get an iPhone , 2 year warranty , I buy all my iPads etc there 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Giffgaff refurbished:

https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/refurbished?brands=samsung&sort=price-asc

12 month warranty and 80% battery guaranteed.

If you don't like Samsung (or Android) they do Apple as well - play with the search options.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    I've never had an iPhone.  I have a couple of iPads and I like those.  I've always had Android smartphones.

What's so good about iPhones then?
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Just following as my Motorola is starting to play up. It was my son’s then mine so it’s a few years old. But the battery life has been great, apart from it’s current desire to restart itself four times a day it’s been fab. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've never had an iPhone.  I have a couple of iPads and I like those.  I've always had Android smartphones.

Easy to use, responsive OS and they play really nicely together with iPads and Macs
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    Emp_Fab said:
    I need a replacement phone.  I'm not willing to spend stupid money on a new one, so I'm looking at used from somewhere like backmarket.co.uk .  I have no real need for anything fancy, I use it as a phone and for web browsing - that's it.  I couldn't care less about megapixels of the photos or stuff like that, but I do want it to be responsive...  laggy browsing drives me mad.  Budget is £150 used.

The problem I've got is that there are a thousand different models available - and that's just within Samsung!

I have no idea beyond the S range is the top end line and the A range the mid line...   I wonder if there's an M, S, U, N & G range too ?

Just limiting to my budget, it's giving me 770 different options !!!

I can't analyse all that !!!

What's a good phone - please !!!

https://www.backmarket.co.uk/en-gb/l/smartphones/6c290010-c0c2-47a4-b68a-ac2ec2b64dca#price=0&price=150

I like iPads. Hate iPhones.. get them as a work phone and the only thing I do like is the camera. 

have a look at xiaomi, for £150 you’ll get a very good second hand phone with great battery life, decent camera . Cex have an 11t for £180 which is a great phone,  I still get over day and half usage after nearly two years of owning it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
    Xiaomi are decent but the UI is... interesting. I had the A1 which had stock android and I loved it. Then I got a POCO X3 with MIUI, was alright once I got used to it, but it's not smooth or fast 

Tbh if you're looking used I'd get a Pixel or Samsung from the last couple of years for the longer time they offer updates
    My V key is broken
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    My iPhone 7 had really good call quality, and a decent camera. Everything else about it blew goats.

A new Moto G would be in budget. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 521
    I looked into this about 18 months ago and bought a new Moto G50 for about £150. Works really well, with good battery life and large screen.
    I wouldn't buy a second hand one...yuk!
  • iPhones are easy to use and you can air drop stuff to your iPad or Mac 

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    I looked into this about 18 months ago and bought a new Moto G50 for about £150. Works really well, with good battery life and large screen.
    I wouldn't buy a second hand one...yuk!
    But you'll use an office phone or public toilets won't you :smile:  It will be cleaned by them and also cleaned by me when it arrives.  Besides, I'm only planning to look at it and talk into it, not lick it. :lol: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Emp_Fab said:

I moved from Samsung to Apple a few years ago.  Had iPads for years, MrsTT extolled the benefits of the iPhone/iPad (& Mac - which I also have) integration, so I made the leap.

13 days later, within the exchange period, I returned the iPhone and bought another Samsung.

Too many awkward, for no good reason, changes to how I expected a phone to work for me to want to re-learn how to use a phone just because it was an Apple device.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    TTony said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I moved from Samsung to Apple a few years ago.  Had iPads for years, MrsTT extolled the benefits of the iPhone/iPad (& Mac - which I also have) integration, so I made the leap.

13 days later, within the exchange period, I returned the iPhone and bought another Samsung.

Too many awkward, for no good reason, changes to how I expected a phone to work for me to want to re-learn how to use a phone just because it was an Apple device.
    I feel the same when i pick up an Android phone, which I also have as a backup/holiday phone when i have to get a local sim card to use.

It's just a different way to learning a phone, like switching from Windows to Mac or vice versa.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1681
    My work phone is a Samsung A13 - which can be had on Backmarket for within your budget. My personal phone is a Samsung A50 - which is again within your budget - been using that for just shy of 4 years now and the battery is starting to show it's age.

The A13 is slightly bigger and has a bit of a better camera -  but performance wise they're realistically the same and should be perfectly suited to your needs.

Visually they're the same as every other phone out there.

I'd recommend them both......