Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How can I replicate this logo? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How can I replicate this logo?

What's Hot
The .5mm ally plate I can make, but how can I replicate the Hayman logo and the 1010?

I could perhaps make a waterslide and lacquer over it, but first need to transfer the logo to the laptop and then find a way to process it.

Its really integral to the vibe of the old guitar, but some eejit drilled holes through the original and i need a bigger slot for a modern blade switch, so I have to remake it

Suggestions/help most welcome

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    paulnb57 said:
    i need a bigger slot for a modern blade switch
    Is the original selector switch one of those weird old Japanese ones with seven terminals? (Three terminals per pole plus a shared collector/output terminal.) I may have one of those in a parts drawer.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    You can drill and tap the frame of a CRL switch for the MIJ screw spacing.

If it’s just a 3-way switch you need, I have a couple of the better-quality 8-terminal MIJ-spacing switches as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Scan and trace it?

If redraw in Inkscape or similar. My guess is that 90% will do, because I doubt it'll ever be next to another for comparison. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    edited August 2023
    This is the switch “ISO” branded 6 contacts on one side rwo on the other (one of the two has broken off)

Mounting hole centres are at  1 1/4 inches 

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Inkscape on your computer with the "trace bitmap" feature will probably do it if you can face the hassle of that software (I don't know if it's just something that works differently than how my brain is wired but I consistently have problems with that software doing weird stuff).

But once traced and tweaked a bit (should work nicely as it's black and white) then you can save to image file for whatever you need
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    paulnb57 said:
    This is the switch “ISO” branded 6 contacts on one side rwo on the other (one of the two has broken off)

Yes, I have those switches... somewhere! I will report back :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    paulnb57 said:

Yes, I have those switches... somewhere! I will report back :).
    Thank you!

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
    If you can’t do the logo yourself find a good picture online and send it out to one of the people good with illustrator on fiver or similar it’s won’t take an hour if they know what you are doing. Then you can get a water slide done or two in case you screw up the first one voice of experience then clear lacquer over the top a can will do the job.
    edited August 2023
    I gat all Repair Shop and channeled my inner Kiiirshten

The two holes drilled through the logo
    Gently countersink the holes from the rear, apply clear tape over the holes from the front, with a couple of layers of masking tape over the top, fill the holes from the rear with araldite.
    Remove the tape when the epoxy had cured, faff for ever mixing Posca paint and applying with tiny paint brush.
    Needs a bit of TCut under the Hayman to the left of the 1010

Needs a coat of lacquer to seal it

I think I can live with it, its significantly less offensive for the old thing
    Before

After

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Looks like a good fix
    edited August 2023
    I also put the plate onto my printer/scanner and scanned it into the MacBook, there is a function in the Mac Photos App that lets you draw on your photo to correct issues, using the grey scale palette I think I could get it quite good, but I can only control the virtual pencil from the track pad thing, not enough fine control, but what I did manage was really promising, so do I get a cheap wireless mouse or a screen pencil?

Then I need to work out how to print it full size…..

Tried Inkscape…..lost the will to live!

WezV said:
    Looks like a good fix
    Its not bad, looks better in the flesh and will only really be seen from a distance

It will blend in well on an old guitar, more so than a new replacement
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    That looks great for an old guitar. No-one would question it unless up really close.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Ironically it's a poor logo, terrible typography! 

I think your solution is good, however, I couldn't live with that execution! Having said that, I am a graphic designer by trade so I tend to look at things differently. If it's OK for you it's fine. That is all that counts.
  • paulnb57 said:

Yes it will certainly do that for you
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    paulnb57 said:

I get on OK with it once I bought a book that explains it. It's not terribly approachable without tutorials, but it's jolly powerful.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
    Yeah you are right about it being an awful logo but it looks about right for 70/80 uk graphic design lol I seem to recall a letraset font similar to that which is where a lot of small business logo’s got done back in the day. I remember going to a printer to get a logo done for my first business in the late 70’s  10 years later I went again for another and he said we have a great graphic designer now who does all our artwork she uses crayons and we can send it out and get it scanned and we have page maker now so we composite it all on that and send it out to get the plates made printing logo’s has come an awful long way.

so from letraset to crayons lol

yes to Inkscape giving free a bad name
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    I think that Inkscape's great
    Me too.  Took a few weeks to get used to but I'm using it a lot now