Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Squier Paranormal XII - Beast Mode - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Squier Paranormal XII - Beast Mode

What's Hot
Hi all!

Just got my Squier XII back from the good folk at Monty's Guitars in Cheltenham. I got the fellas to put a sustainer in the neck, and lordy lord does this thing scream. I love a bit of mild, poppy jangle, but that's not what my Squier does. Not any more...

One thing I didn't know is that I need a humbucker in the bridge position to push the sustainer properly, otherwise it's prone to satanic, screaming feedback. We'll be taking care of this in due course, the guys are going to put together a JM-sized humbucker to push the sustainer properly. In the meantime, after a minor routing wobble, the guys ended up going off piste and putting one of their More boost circuits in - to push a little more (does what it says on the tin, that).

Now she absolutely ROARS. I've got to keep everything on 10 to power the sustain as well as I can, and she sounds like a jangly jet engine. My neighbours are going to hate me but I'm smitten.

Sound samples to follow when I get a chance :)
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
    Sounds cool. What sustainer did you put it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hi all!

Just got my Squier XII back from the good folk at Monty's Guitars in Cheltenham. I got the fellas to put a sustainer in the neck, and lordy lord does this thing scream. I love a bit of mild, poppy jangle, but that's not what my Squier does. Not any more...

One thing I didn't know is that I need a humbucker in the bridge position to push the sustainer properly, otherwise it's prone to satanic, screaming feedback. We'll be taking care of this in due course, the guys are going to put together a JM-sized humbucker to push the sustainer properly. In the meantime, after a minor routing wobble, the guys ended up going off piste and putting one of their More boost circuits in - to push a little more (does what it says on the tin, that).

Now she absolutely ROARS. I've got to keep everything on 10 to power the sustain as well as I can, and she sounds like a jangly jet engine. My neighbours are going to hate me but I'm smitten.

You're insane. I love it, although I won't be modding my Electric XII! Need to hear some clips.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hi all!

You're insane. I love it, although I won't be modding my Electric XII! Need to hear some clips.
    Haha I’ve only heard of one other chap with a sustainer equipped 12 string, and it sounded like it might be fun. She’s turned out to be fun in a whole different way.

Once I put a humbucker in she’ll settle and probably work for the sort of wafty, ambient stuff that I originally envisioned. So much fun right now, though
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    We’ll need pics or didn’t happen. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • powermonkeypowermonkey Frets: 35
    edited August 2023

Not entirelysure how to post photos but I’ve given it a go!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • powermonkeypowermonkey Frets: 35
    edited August 2023
    Edit: links will have to do, I’m a bear of very little brain
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    It’s the sound samples I’m looking forwards to - I’m a huge fan of electric 12 strings and drag my Danelectro out any time I think I’ve got a fighting chance of using it on something but this is an idea which simply never crossed my mind!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    A 12-string with a sustainer is a superb idea. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    JayGee said:
    It’s the sound samples I’m looking forwards to - I’m a huge fan of electric 12 strings and drag my Danelectro out any time I think I’ve got a fighting chance of using it on something but this is an idea which simply never crossed my mind!
    I find the photos always start the gas, the sound samples amplify and the wife does her level best to dampen. :)