Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Need your advice! Carvin Legacy content - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Need your advice! Carvin Legacy content

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10211
I’ve currently got:

1 x Carvin Legacy I
1 x Carvin Legacy II
1 x Carvin Legacy I combo

For the last 10 years I’ve rehoused my combo amp into the Legacy II headshell, and stored the Legacy II gubbins in the attic (because the combo was too heavy and I prefer the Legacy I)

I installed the combo’s amp upside-down because it matched the knobs of the normal Legacy I head. 

Now I’ve put the Legacy II gubbins back in its original headshell and I’m making a new headshell for the combo Legacy I. 

Question: should I have it upside down so it matches the Legacy I head (but the writing’s upside down), or install it at the top of the shell with the valves and transformers hanging from the roof?

Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    From an aesthetic and ergonomic aspect I would very much prefer to have all the writing the right way up and the knobs in a familiar layout, but I would be curious about the actual functionality aspect and whether the valves will be OK just secured by their pins in the sockets while hanging down in a vibrating combo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited August 2023
    Problem is, I can either have the writing the right way up, or the knobs in a familiar layout. 

The hanging upside down thing is fine - they were like that in the original combo (and now they won’t be in a combo at all)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    viz said:
    Problem is, I can either have the writing the right way up, or the knobs in a familiar layout.
    Keep the chassis at the bottom and get @Modulus_Amps to do you a new faceplate with the lettering the right way up.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/226886/plexi-style-head-shell-for-combo-conversion/p1

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Sorry, I misunderstood.  I thought you were going to transfer the amp to a combo.  I also see what you mean about the layout.  I confused myself looking at where the clean and lead sections were with my head tilted almost upside down when it would have been more apparent had I just saved the image and flipped it 180 degrees.  I'm dumb.  Ignore me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    ICBM said:
    viz said:
    Keep the chassis at the bottom and get @Modulus_Amps to do you a new faceplate with the lettering the right way up.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/226886/plexi-style-head-shell-for-combo-conversion/p1

That is definitely food for thought and looks bloody cool. 

I’m just going to build it and put a handle and feet on the top and bottom. (not really)
    Ok I think it’s better this way up. 

I know the success of this project will be measured on how I Tolex it up, and that I’m as likely as not to Bolex it up, but I have to say I’m quite happy with how it’s turned out so far. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Just need to find some suitable grille now …

IMG_4735.jpeg 275.4K
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter