Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Beebo news - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Beebo news

Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

I've just downloaded and installed the latest firmware - 331 Beta 1 to try out the amp captures (a new module) - I haven't had much time yet but it looks interesting.

It's not going to be a world beating addition, as currently the pedal can't cope with much more than the amp model and maybe one or two simple modules (no reverbs, for example), but that's not an issue when you have more than one Beebo ;)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    I watched Loki's video on it, he's saying each amp setting is an individual capture and if you want eq etc you can use the other modules. If so that lack of processor headroom is going to be a bit limiting for us mere mortals who only use one Beebo! I generally use the Leon Todd amp preset and that's pretty good, much more flexible.

The big issue I have at the moment is the will it / won't it turn on thing. I've got the hot fix and a decent power supply but it's still a lottery.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086
    edited August 2023

It does seem to be an ever present, despite his efforts.

Not being remotely knowledgeable about such things I don't why it's so difficult, but I tend to use a minimum of 1A as a power supply and they usually fire up ok.
    I get the feeling it's inherent, i.e not really his fault. My AK music player does it as well. But it has a progress / loading bar so at least you know it's stalled. Beebo you just have to wait. He should stick a progress bar on the start up screen.

My thought is that this is an off shoot of phone tech, and they are always on. He should have put an on/off switch on it as well, or at least a shut down soft button. I'm never comfortable just pulling the plug, software likes to be shut down.

Means I only tend to use it when I've got time for a long session, whereas I really want it as as a plug and play pedal. If I update firmware I know it's going to be an exercise in switching it on / off - check firmware has updated if not it's on/off again.

Unfortunately, I don't think he is going to spend any time smoothing these things out while he is rampaging through new modules. He did a lot of that during lockdown.

SO I haven't made the jump to latest yet. Sigh.
    edited August 2023

Some of the recent updates do have "fixes" for the start up issues, including the 331 Beta - I'm using the previous update on my main Beebo which starts slowly but does so generally without freezing.

The thing that annoys me most is that updating the firmware adds all the starting patches and I have to spend 10 minutes deleting them all ;)
    I thought the hot fix had sorted it for me. I did repeated runs and even timed it - and got consistent times. I thought it was bulletproof. Now I find that if I only have beebo on my one spot and use the wall switch, it's more likely to start than if I just plug in. Ok, but sometimes I don't want to  disconnect everything else from one spot and do the long start. There must be a better fix. "Get a better supply" -  no, this one works well enough, and has enough oomph. It's not my supply that has the issue, it's the software routines. But I understand he's a one man operation and what he has delivered is so mind blowing I'll give him benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, how are the amp sims? Can't see there being much between BETA and full release so I might take the leap.

Have you played with Loopler much? That was my last update and I like that module. I want to start integrating it with other modules next. Andre Le fosse does some good videos with it.

blobb said:

Anyway, how are the amp sims? Can't see there being much between BETA and full release so I might take the leap.

Have you played with Loopler much? That was my last update and I like that module. I want to start integrating it with other modules next. Andre Le fosse does some good videos with it.

My daughter is here so I still haven't had chance to properly try them out, hopefully I'll get a moment tomorrow evening.

I haven't touched the Loopler because I have the pedal(s) on a stand and it makes it fairly difficult to create a loop.

There's another new module called Strum which I haven't tried yet, but IIRC you hit a note and it plays a chord or something.
    I'm waiting for the module called 'Tea' which put's the kettle on and makes me a cuppa. Milk, two sugars please Loki. I'll be intergrating with 'Biscuit' and possibly 'Toilet'.
  • Paul_C said:
    blobb said:

My daughter is here so I still haven't had chance to properly try them out, hopefully I'll get a moment tomorrow evening.

I haven't touched the Loopler because I have the pedal(s) on a stand and it makes it fairly difficult to create a loop.

There's another new module called Strum which I haven't tried yet, but IIRC you hit a note and it plays a chord or something.
    I love the Loopler module, I’m using a FCB1010 for midi control.

In my setup, it’s the Zoia that often doesn’t switch on. Would be nice if those pedals were a bit more consistent in switching on, or at least saying why they stall
    Beebo now has it's own amp capture site for the NAM modeller. You can profile your amp on line and have it installed in Beebo! Wow.