Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How it really looks - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How it really looks

What's Hot
Since I returned from my US road trip with my bruv 7 weeks ago I've been flat out with chores and essential home-related matters. 

Over the last week I've managed to get at least an hour a day playing and it feels great, although sounds shit. This afternoon though, for a brief moment, I realised how fortunate I really am when I actually saw our spare bedroom for what it is ... my guitar cave :+1: 

I suddenly realised that it doesn't matter how bad I sound it matters how happy I feel and in this wee space I'm totally in my own bubble, carefree, independent and aspirational ... like I was when I picked up a guitar for the first time at16 yo.

I just wonder how others see their own situation and feel about their 'playing space'?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    My home is my man cave  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    I have my guitars in my bedroom with a Nux Mighty Air for my solace, main practice and recording ideas.

I also have my man shed with amps/monitors which is I use for main recording and also playing with my daughter who is learning bass. I sometimes wonder why I don't use it more but I've guess always played more in the bedroom so it just feels more natural, even though the shed has the better sounding gear 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    It's nice to see two Harley Bentons and a Westone in the line up rather than an array of PRS, Gibson and Fender Custom Shop guitars that cost more than a car.  I do like the look of that olive grey hardcase behind the Westone.  Your room is nice and tidy, with clean fresh white skirtings and radiator and clean carpet with a nice pile to it.

My spare room no longer has (actually hasn't for decades) any space for even a single bed now.  One wall is taken up by guitars in racks and my sliding-doored wardrobe is filled with amps, acoustic guitars in cases, empty cases, and boxes of spare parts.  I have a few old "wooden" office drawers filled with guitar repair and maintenance tools against the other wall and always have a couple of half-assembled/disassembled guitars on single stands within arm's reach that I'm working on.  The carpet is really flattened and worn, but at least I don't have to fret if I spill something on it that stains.  It was grey, but Irn Bru spills and splashed coffee and tea stains over the years have turned the central area into varied hues of generally grey.  It is clean though, and I dust it regularly, but it would be very unkempt looking to the casual observer so I am not going to post photos.  I usually actually play my guitars in the downstairs livingroom.

I do wish that I had a larger garden and the money to build a workshop / office / playing room, or that I was able to convert my pre-fab garage with corrugated roof into a dry enough workshop with a small sofa where I could play, store and work on guitars through all seasons.
    Thanks Bill ... I still have to be disciplined in keeping the spare room uncluttered/tidy(ish) because our granddaughters still have sleepovers here :+1:  It's actually not a bad thing because I do clean down my guitars and put them in their cases regularly.

The hard case behind the Westie is in fact a Stagg tweed and it's a perfect snug fit for the Hagstrom.

At some point in the not too distant we'll be moving home and I've already stipulated that our new house WILL have a music room/studio ... I care not if it's a garden room or garage or annex but it will be for me :lol: 
  • westfordwestford Frets: 514
    We're having a garage conversion done and I'm planning to have my guitars and recording setup in there, although my husband keeps dropping hints about putting his punchbag (which he never uses) and various other things in there. It says 'music room' on the plans, so I will be reminding him of this regularly (although that might risk an argument over whether my guitar playing can be classed as 'music'...  :s ).
  • Converted my garage at the back of the garden 4 years ago and although not totally soundproofed, its a good distance away from any neighbours so I can turn up and play loud. No distractions (well, apart from the neighbours yappy dog) and a nice little space for playing music.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    stufisher said:

I suddenly realised that it doesn't matter how bad I sound it matters how happy I feel and in this wee space I'm totally in my own bubble, carefree, independent and aspirational ... like I was when I picked up a guitar for the first time at16 yo.

This is spot on @stufisher. Just how I feel

I have three main playing spaces and swap between them according to the weather and the time of day. If the weather is nice enough I often go outside onto the deck (almost out of shot to the left below). If it's cold or dark or unpleasant - lovely sunny winter day today but only about 8 or 10 degrees outside - I sit on the footstool and look out the window while I play. 

From this angle we can see the Silver Wattles in blossom, tall Messmate Stringybark and Manna Gum eucalypts, the ducks having their mid-morning snooze on the far wall of the dam, and various annoying reflections off the double glazing which are much less obvious in real life. 

One of these days I'll scratch up some money and build an extension on the other side of the house, with a couple of spare rooms, one to be my music and recording room. As things stand, I have 6 guitars on stands in the middle of the living area (which I like and Mrs Tannin tolerates) and take one at a time to whichever of my favourite playing spots I fancy. Recording, however, is just not practical. Maybe if Mrs Tannin was away for a month I could drape cables and mic stands and stuff all over the place and leave it there for days on end without annoying the hell out of her  ....  Or maybe I should just pull my finger out and get that extension underway. In the meantime, happy just to play.

Anyway, I won't need to start recording until I've more-or-less learned to play the instrument properly. That'll be  about 2118. :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Nice one @Tannin :+1: 
    Your pic has reminded me that my little GS travel acoustic lives in our caravan and sometimes ... on rare occasions ... I get to sit and play outside on the decking and look across to the Lake District
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    My playing space is sh*te, I hate it. Thanks for reminding me.