Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 1x12 combo options - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

1x12 combo options

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
I am looking for suggestions for a 1x12 combo.

I run a wet dry rig with a TR custom v3 head and a 2x12 as the wet amp. Currently I run a Marshall Jtm60 head and a Marshall 4x10 cab as the dry. I usually have about 75% wet and about 25% dry just to give it that immediacy. Love the sound, that’s not the issue. I am bloody fed up with the volume of kit so I am looking to downsize the Marshall to a combo 1x12 of some description.

I do like a vox sound so was erring towards a new Bad cat black cat but was a bit alarmed around the reports of transformers blowing in the initial batches. Not ruling it out though but what other options are worth looking at? I want to preserve clean headroom- the songs require clean cleans so I because I get dirt off pedals, I think that rules out some gear as it needs to complement the TR. so it needs to be loud and avoid break up when cranked.

Gonna sell the Marshalls but budget say £2k tops. So I found a second hand /13 for c£1800 or maybe some sh boutiquey amps…. Or maybe new bad cats or similar. What suggestions might you have and why? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    edited August 2023
     Bad cat is not going to be clean-clean when cranked, I wouldn’t say. Matchless-Vox cleans are always a bit hairy I think. I guess it depends what cranked means? 

Maybe solid state is the way to go? Jazz Chorus / JC40?

Failing that, how about a TR combo of some sort? Studio sig? Compact and clean as well as loudish. The ultimate answer would be a twin but they’re big and heavy so fail on your physical downsizing requirement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Peavey Transtube Bandit.

Small, light, loud, clean, sounds great, totally reliable and within your budget.

… by about £1400.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ditchboyditchboy Frets: 186
    Deluxe Reverb. Cos I’m selling one in the classifieds.  =)
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. @Moe_Zambeek cranked means robust gig levels. We mic everything up and I set the TR level first. Then I slowly increase the Marshall so it’s perceptible as the second amp and it’s ‘there’. A touch of hair in the dry won’t faze me because the TR is doing the heavy lifting.
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 235
    1x12 combo with clean headroom to act as a pedal platform? Hope it’s ok to point at the Carr Rambler I have for sale in the classifieds (well under your budget too). In terms of clean tone it’s the best I’ve had.
  • Badcat cub 15 has an amazing amount of clean headroom considering the stated wattage with the master volume at around 3 o'clock (it overdrives the power amp separate from the preamp beyond there) but it's better as a slightly hairy edge of breakup pedal platform than a crystal clean thing
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    If you want to go Voxy, a Matchless is...well Matchless.

Otherwise, the J40 is incredible- you're welcome to try mine.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 326
    I'd certainly be wary of the Bad Cats, although they sound fantastic unfortunately in the last six weeks I've had two Black Cats, after the second one died I went for a Hot Cat which was also faulty and am currently waiting for a replacement (hopefully with the initial shipment of faulty transformers and wrong component issues sorted) for that from the States! The brief time I had with one of the Black Cats (the second one didn't last two days) I think the head room would be an issue for you. 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 248
    I agree with @ChrisCox1994 that a Bad Cat Cub 3 has an amazing amount of clean headroom.
    So thanks all. We have our contenders:
    /13 SJT 10/20
    Badcat…. 
    Matchless….
    LazyJ @gassage you are a bad man
    Carr
    Deluxe reverb
    Peavey

And having spent too much time today on the internet, Hamstead Artist RT60…. 
  • Don’t forget Morgan too, they’re rather lovely.

Also, how about the Victory Copper series? They’re meant to be decent, though I’ve not tried one yet
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Orange tremlord does exactly what you describe. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    ICBM said:
    Peavey Transtube Bandit.

Small, light, loud, clean, sounds great, totally reliable and within your budget.

… by about £1400.
    £1300 as you'll need a decent Celestion in there, but apart from that I totally agree. 

I know we both bang on about Bandits a bit and I still love my Fender and Marshall valve amps, but as a lifelong valve amp tinkerer and snob I'm constantly pleasantly surprised by my Bandit. 

I used mine as a monitor for my Pod Go for last night's gig and it sounded great instantly, and it felt great too, which is far more elusive and surprising for a modeller/solid state amp pairing. 
    p90fool said:

£1300 as you'll need a decent Celestion in there, but apart from that I totally agree. 

I know we both bang on about Bandits a bit and I still love my Fender and Marshall valve amps, but as a lifelong valve amp tinkerer and snob I'm constantly pleasantly surprised by my Bandit. 

I used mine as a monitor for my Pod Go for last night's gig and it sounded great instantly, and it felt great too, which is far more elusive and surprising for a modeller/solid state amp pairing. 
    I’ve actually got an Eminence Li’l Texas is my Studio Pro now, which if anything is even better than the Celestion. But your point stands, the speaker is the only weak point.

I keep banging on about this too, but I’m more convinced than ever that output stage damping is the key to the ‘feel’ - valve amps naturally (accidentally) have low damping, solid-state ones naturally have high damping… except when they’re purposely designed not to have, which is what the Transtube circuit does. Some other solid-state amp ranges have something similar, but less effectively.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    If you can up the budget a bit you could look at Magnatones. The Varsity Reverb is an American-voiced beauty, or if you want to stick with the more-British mid-pushed sound you could look at the Super Fifteen combo. Both at £2499 new, but I just picked up my Super Fifteen at £1800 used. None on reverb atm but they probably pop up from time to time. 

Spectacular things. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    jhumber said:
    1x12 combo with clean headroom to act as a pedal platform? Hope it’s ok to point at the Carr Rambler I have for sale in the classifieds (well under your budget too). In terms of clean tone it’s the best I’ve had.
    Amazing amps. All the Carr stuff is. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:

I’ve actually got an Eminence Li’l Texas is my Studio Pro now, which if anything is even better than the Celestion. But your point stands, the speaker is the only weak point.

I keep banging on about this too, but I’m more convinced than ever that output stage damping is the key to the ‘feel’ - valve amps naturally (accidentally) have low damping, solid-state ones naturally have high damping… except when they’re purposely designed not to have, which is what the Transtube circuit does. Some other solid-state amp ranges have something similar, but less effectively.
    Do you mean that feel of a speaker really travelling? Friend of mine has a 90's Vibroverb that does that beautifully.  It's like being punched. 

Agree about the Texas Heat. I replaced a 70/80 in my Traynor with one and it completely transformed the amp. 
    Greatape said:

Do you mean that feel of a speaker really travelling? Friend of mine has a 90's Vibroverb that does that beautifully.  It's like being punched.
    Yes, that looseness is a big part of it. Traditional solid-state amps control the speaker movement much more tightly, and so can feel stiff and unresponsive.

Greatape said:

Agree about the Texas Heat. I replaced a 70/80 in my Traynor with one and it completely transformed the amp. 
    Interestingly the speaker it replaced was a Line 6 custom G12P-80 - a revoiced Seventy/80, although it sounds quite a bit different from the standard one. The Eminence has more bottom end and a really nice upper-mid chime that the Celestion doesn’t.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    HoraceB said:
    I'd certainly be wary of the Bad Cats, although they sound fantastic unfortunately in the last six weeks I've had two Black Cats, after the second one died I went for a Hot Cat which was also faulty and am currently waiting for a replacement (hopefully with the initial shipment of faulty transformers and wrong component issues sorted) for that from the States! The brief time I had with one of the Black Cats (the second one didn't last two days) I think the head room would be an issue for you. 
    Conversely my Hotcat has been reliable so far, done about 10-12 gigs with it and was playing it daily for two months as I like it so much.

Appreciate Horace has has a mare with it and really hope the next one works fine.   But its the best amp I've ever had, and Ive had a lot..

• tomajohatomajoha Frets: 822
    thomasw88 said:
    HoraceB said:
    Conversely my Hotcat has been reliable so far, done about 10-12 gigs with it and was playing it daily for two months as I like it so much.

Appreciate Horace has has a mare with it and really hope the next one works fine.   But its the best amp I've ever had, and Ive had a lot..

Agreed and the older ones are also bombproof
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 326
    tomajoha said:
    thomasw88 said:
    HoraceB said:

Might be worth mentioning that all my Bad Cats were heads, maybe the heads were the ones with the dodgy transformers and wrong components. I think I just got unlucky and basically got the whole shipment! :D Having said all that I  liked the amps so much that I am willing to give them another go and hoping the next shipment will have had all the issues dealt with. The time I had with them I did prefer the Hot Cat and as previously mentioned I think this would suit Mr Rsvmark needs better. I see Morgans mentioned ,I also have a Morgan Dual 20 Combo(currently for sale) which could fit the bill but again may be an issue with the headroom although it is a very loud 20 watts the 40 watt version may be better if you can find one. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    edited August 2023
    If you can find a tone king majesty, they are the best Marshall style I've heard in your price range and wonderfully flexible.
    There was one on eBay recently and I think the seller resides in this parish.

If you could find more pennies, the Marshall setting on a Bartel is a thing of beauty. @fretfinder is selling his for some strange reason, but the beauty of the Bartel is that you'll have Marshall, tweed, Vox and blackface settings in one amp. That means you can use it as a pedal platform or as I do, with the guitar set the drive the amp and roll back the volume to clean up. If you get to grips with a bartel, you don't need pedals, other than maybe delay, chorus type. 
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 822
    HoraceB said:
    tomajoha said:
    thomasw88 said:
    HoraceB said:

Might be worth mentioning that all my Bad Cats were heads, maybe the heads were the ones with the dodgy transformers and wrong components. I think I just got unlucky and basically got the whole shipment! :D Having said all that I  liked the amps so much that I am willing to give them another go and hoping the next shipment will have had all the issues dealt with. The time I had with them I did prefer the Hot Cat and as previously mentioned I think this would suit Mr Rsvmark needs better. I see Morgans mentioned ,I also have a Morgan Dual 20 Combo(currently for sale) which could fit the bill but again may be an issue with the headroom although it is a very loud 20 watts the 40 watt version may be better if you can find one. 
    Have you tried one of the hand wired ones that predate the recent update? If the tone suits maybe that would be a safer bet?
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    You can try my Hamstead 60RT, plenty of headroom, some mix of British and American sounds, kinda its own thing!
    And after Much internetting, Googling and consideration, we have a winner. Trigger pulled and I am off to collect tomorrow………….

one of these…….

https://www.matchlessamplifiers.com/amplifiers-and-cabinets/lightning

I bloody hope I like it!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    Nice !
  • Bloody lovely
    @Nikc @DrCornelius I will let you know tomorrow. The manual on line suggests cranking the master to the max and then pre amp should be adjusted to taste….. oh go on then
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    That's my favourite Matchless.

Hopefully yours isn't brown :).

• Bravo