Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Funny Little Boxes - Skeleton Key (QOTSA-IAB) - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Funny Little Boxes - Skeleton Key (QOTSA-IAB)

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
edited September 2023 in FX
They’re finally out! Who else has bought one? Mine should be here next week at some point 

https://funnylittleboxes.co.uk/products/skeleton-key

After my initial excitement about the 1991 I never actually got around to buying one, but this QOTSA-flavoured release was a no-brainer for me as that’s one of the core tones and styles I use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObUSdGBLMPA
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited August 2023
    Oooooh this could be fun. I have an Angry Rhubarb which gets very nearly in the same ballpark but new shiny is new and shiny… 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 453
    Really like the look of this, £99 feels like a bit of a bargain compared to those pedals that copy the Peavey Decade (think it’s the Ten Years and Solid State pedals?)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The only trouble is that I may well want an AC-type amp to pair up with it now… what a shame ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Interesting demo. The tuning will get you in the right ballpark, but nice to see single coils being used alongside buckers. 
  • I think it sounds great and nice to see a sensibly priced stompbox for once.

That said - i need more dirt like I need a hole in the head. 

Also, does anyone else find demos where the "clean sound" is already overdriven a bit unhelpful? The clean tone in the demo is roughly what I would have as the gain level on my dirty tones! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I guess you have to like QOTSA.
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    Sassafras said:
    I guess you have to like QOTSA.
    Not your cup of tea, then?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    Seems to get the tone pretty good! Not actually a fan of that QOTSA tone despite loving the band. Always sounds like it needs a bit more gain or pushing a bit with something so its less dry.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 641
    edited August 2023
    Edit: original post deleted. Was just going to be negativity on top of negativity. Life too short to get involved in that. 

This looks really cool, interested to know what it's based on - I understand part of their tone is a parametric EQ with LOADS of mids, imagine it might be based on an IC Big Muff??
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 402
    Have a 1991, bought this one too. Be interested to see if it really does what it says on the tin.
  • MARVlNMARVlN Frets: 77
    Edit: original post deleted. Was just going to be negativity on top of negativity. Life too short to get involved in that. 

This looks really cool, interested to know what it's based on - I understand part of their tone is a parametric EQ with LOADS of mids, imagine it might be based on an IC Big Muff??
    I think for at least some of their stuff they used a Stone Deaf PDF - which is a distortion with a sweepable frequency/level.
  • @Marvin - yup, that one’s all over Like Clockwork & Villains, presumably on the new album too. TVL also uses/d a bunch of the Moog MF pedals as well - the MF Drive had a similarly sweepable tonestack for some slightly out-there sounds.
  • Did anyone that order this actually receive it yet? Bought on release day, I get he's busy, but no real comms since about when to expect it.
  • Not yet - there was a memo a week or two back about delays but I'm okay with that. I'm of the view that it'll get here when it gets here, and I'm treating it a bit like a pre-order though I know that not everyone will be the same!

I'm also picking up a TVL Jazzmaster in an hour, so that should be a great match once this arrives ;)
  • It has arrived...no shipping notification though.

Very excited to give it a go. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Oooh that's exciting! I hope mine turns up soon then, I do like surprises :mrgreen: 
  • No.212 has just arrived! I'll give it a blast later, but the graphics look sick and it came with stickers! 
  • sweet! 207 here. Not going to get to have a play for a few days I don't think, so I'll be interested to hear what you think?