Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Hi - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45
2»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Hi Holn, good to have you back. 

Drew is actually ok away from here. He and his wife just had a baby boy. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    holnrew said:
    Speakers corner sort of morphed into Politics and Friends in Need for different reasons. 

No one misses Drew. He was knowledgeable but also a colossal twat. 

Bass is awesome. I started in 2020 and haven’t looked back :)
    He definitely has some issues. Not that I'm one to talk.

Are you still in the middle east? (I wanna say it was Abu Dhabi)
    Yeah - just hit 10 years here. It's been weird but mostly fun! It was 50C again yesterday though so I'm dying for winter...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    edited August 2023
    x2 of the older/more prolific posters sadly died, Poopot and Fretwired. There are other newer members too that you probably wouldn’t know of.
    I play at my dining room table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
    Deadman said:
    x2 of the older/more prolific posters sadly died, Poopot and Fretwired. There are other newer members too that you probably wouldn’t know of.
    Oh man that's sad. Fret was one of the furniture. I had him in Facebook but didn't hear about it. Not sure who poopot was, but with a name like that I'm sure we would have got along
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Wotcha Hol!
    holnrew said:
    Pembrokeshire - which is where I lurk. 
    I've just moved to Haverfordwest from Pembroke Dock.
    That is definitely the better direction. 

holnrew said: 
    What part? 
    Haverfordwest also.

More precise location details had better be confined to private messaging. 
    Ooh. Maybe we've already walked past each other

Definitely glad to be away from Pembroke Dock, not much there and lots of feral teens occasionally harassing me. Mostly I'm happy to be away because the past couple of years there have been very stressful and it's nice to leave it all behind. I'll still have to go back for my welsh classes and to see my sister, but that's pretty bearable.
    My V key is broken
    Yeah - just hit 10 years here. It's been weird but mostly fun! It was 50C again yesterday though so I'm dying for winter...
    I would sweat to death
    My V key is broken
    boogieman said:

Well he plain doesn't like me. Probably got too "woke" for him or something. Glad he's happy though
    My V key is broken
    holnrew said:
    boogieman said:

Well he plain doesn't like me. Probably got too "woke" for him or something. Glad he's happy though
    Yeah I’m aware of the bullying you took from him on here. I don’t blame you for leaving over it either. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    holnrew said:
    I'll still have to go back for my Welsh classes
    Welsh speakers in South Pembs? Most of the words spoken in the Dock begin with F or C.
    Be seeing you.
    holnrew said:
    Welsh speakers in South Pembs? Most of the words spoken in the Dock begin with F or C.
    Yeah never heard it spoken there, but there is a monthly meeting in the library for welsh speakers that was well attended apparently. I'm glad I took it up anyway though, I quite enjoy learning languages. Started Esperanto (much easier) and Korean (MUCH harder) since.
    My V key is broken
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    edited August 2023
    Who else is missing from the original gang?  Goji springs to mind.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2493
    Dude! Almost six years! Wow! Bass is awesome.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    @holnrew ;
    well hello, glad you are doing OK sir. 
    Bass is good, I probably play more bass than guitar these days thinking about it. And I want a Precision......aw no, that's got the gas brewing again, it had been quiet for so long.....

see, things don't change
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    edited August 2023
    Want a Precision? Hmmm, may just be able to help there...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 169
    Hey bud, very glad to hear that things are on the up for you. Bloody gutted to hear about Fretwired though.

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

boogieman said:
    holnrew said:
    boogieman said:

Yeah I’m aware of the bullying you took from him on here. I don’t blame you for leaving over it either. 
    Well we made up after that. I mostly left because my mental health wasn't good and I got bitter about all the nice things people here had. Not the a good attitude but therapy is good
    My V key is broken
    Brio said:
    Want a Precision? Hmmm, may just be able to help there...

That is fit, but very likely out of my price range. I've got to get some more stuff for my flat too first.
    My V key is broken
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    holnrew said:
    holnrew said:
    Yeah never heard it spoken there, but there is a monthly meeting in the library for welsh speakers that was well attended apparently. I'm glad I took it up anyway though, I quite enjoy learning languages. Started Esperanto (much easier) and Korean (MUCH harder) since.
    Hi Holnrew, welcome back.

저도 한국어를 배우고 있습니다. 예, 어렵습니다.

한국어를 말하고 읽는 법을 배우고 있습니까?
    케이팝 을 많이 아시나요?
    저는 9월에 옥스포드에서 한국어 강좌를 시작합니다.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Is it me or does Korean look the one most likely to be closest to alien?
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    Emp_Fab said:
    Is it me or does Korean look the one most likely to be closest to alien?
    It is really beautiful and logical when you start to learn it.
    edited August 2023
    octatonic said:
    holnrew said:
    holnrew said:

한국어를 말하고 읽는 법을 배우고 있습니까?
    케이팝 을 많이 아시나요?
    I managed the first sentence then had to use a translator because I suck. I haven't practiced speaking it much, because I was living somewhere other people would hear me, but I can now. Maybe it might help me remember it better.

That's my biggest issue, I can go through lessons and do it all fine but it doesn't really stick in my head too well. I think it might be because of the Hangul, it's an added barrier compared to learning a language with Latin script.

저는 정말 좋아해 케이법 입니다, particularly Aespa and Dreamcatcher. I've started watching Korean dramas on Netflix too, it's fun picking out words and phrases I know, but shows how much more I have to go.

How long have you been learning? 
    My V key is broken
    holnrew said:
    octatonic said:
    holnrew said:
    holnrew said:

한국어를 말하고 읽는 법을 배우고 있습니까?
    케이팝 을 많이 아시나요?
    I managed the first sentence then had to use a translator because I suck. I haven't practiced speaking it much, because I was living somewhere other people would hear me, but I can now. Maybe it might help me remember it better.

That's my biggest issue, I can go through lessons and do it all fine but it doesn't really stick in my head too well. I think it might be because of the Hangul, it's an added barrier compared to learning a language with Latin script.

저는 정말 좋아해 케이법 입니다, particularly Aespa and Dreamcatcher. I've started watching Korean dramas on Netflix too, it's fun picking out words and phrases I know, but shows how much more I have to go.

How long have you been learning? 
    I’m seeing Aespa end of September. Kard and G-Idle are next week.
    Love Dreamcatcher too but my favourites are Bibi, 3YE, Itzy, New Jeans, Stray Kids, IVE, Le Sserafim and Ateez.

Have you seen Hotel Del Luna?

I’ve been learning for the last 2 years but most intensely for the last 9 months or so.
    What are you learning with? I like Memrise a lot, but making flash cards has been essential.
    I use memrise too, also lingodeer, and drops for vocabulary. Initially I learned for a bit but stopped after learning hangul because the step up into learning it felt too big, especially with the duolingo course being kind of bad, but came back to it about a year ago. When I get a desk or some kind of study area I'll probably start putting more effort in.

Jealous of you seeing Aespa! I'll check out the other ones you mentioned and hotel del luna
    My V key is broken
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    holnrew said:
    holnrew said:
    the main reason for returning is an interest in taking up bass.
    Good thinking, Batman.

Your forum profile lists one of your locations as Pembrokeshire - which is where I lurk. 
    What part? I've just moved to Haverfordwest from Pembroke Dock 
    I went to Pembrokeshire college nearly 30 years ago. Lived in Haverfordwest for 2 years. So many great memories. Lived in the town centre above a hairdresser next to a god awful kebab shop that is now a Chinese takeaway I think. There was also a quaint little guitar shop on the roundabout that led to the station. Bought a Marlin (shudder) guitar amp there very cheaply. 

Spent a lot of time out at st David’s surfing.  
    holnrew said:
    I use memrise too, also lingodeer, and drops for vocabulary. Initially I learned for a bit but stopped after learning hangul because the step up into learning it felt too big, especially with the duolingo course being kind of bad, but came back to it about a year ago. When I get a desk or some kind of study area I'll probably start putting more effort in.

Jealous of you seeing Aespa! I'll check out the other ones you mentioned and hotel del luna
    Will check out lingodeer and drops.

There is so much good music coming out of Korea right now. I’ve got a shared playlist if you use Spotify. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Yo hol !

Good to see you about.

We just need Nick Botfield back now :-) 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2493
    edited September 2023
    Mebbe he has his notifications on: @NickBotfield ;;

EDIT: Last active on 9 July...
    Emp_Fab said:
    Who else is missing from the original gang?  Goji springs to mind.
    If you look back over old threads it’s amazing the sheer number of people that have drifted away over the years. Of course other people then become regulars too. Goji (Dave Corns) is doing ok, he still pops up on my Facebook feed every now and then