Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Chris Overland FM Guitarist and teacher. - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Chris Overland FM Guitarist and teacher.

What's Hot
Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2170
A great British guitarist who wrote some stellar tracks gone way too soon. RIP Chris

Chris Overland - IMDb

https://youtu.be/LnVsse_vcwE?si=YC7GXkDscJdsIaIA
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• HabaneroHabanero Frets: 225
    Blimey that's a surprise. RIP Chris.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Oh damn!

I love FM. Can’t believe he’s passed 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 505
    And another memory brought back in a sad manner. I can't claim to have followed them much but I had Indiscreet back in the day and I once saw FM supporting Reo Speedwagen at the Hammersmith Odeon which I think was in 1985. Just watched a couple of videos to reminisce ..  oh, time marches on and sometimes so cruelly.

RIP sir.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    Heard the news today on Planet Rock. Very big loss of Guitar talent. His solo on "That Girl" remains one of my favourites to this day. I'm sure he can't have been much older than late 50's or 60 at most?

R.I.P.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited August 2023
    I followed FM from the start and still go and see them. Chris Overland was a shining light on the melodic rock scene and as a UK guitarist and played the perfect solos/parts for their songs and those first 2 albums are corkers.

With their reunion and subsequent return and more frequent gigging, a lot of us hoped he'd join them again on stage and make a special guest appearance,  but sadly, it didn't happen and I understand he was happy being a successful guitar teacher back in Norfolk.

His pre-FM work with his brother, Steve and Bad Company drummer, Simon Kirke, is worth a listen to.
    RIP Chris and thanks for the music
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So sad ,love FM , such a great player used to play tough it out all the time, they’re so good 
  • Hotshot1999Hotshot1999 Frets: 23
    edited August 2023
    Such sad news, Chris wouldn’t be much older than 60 years old.
    I’ve been a big fan of FM since 1985 when I first saw them supporting Gary Moore. Chris’ melodic lead playing was such a big part of FM’s sound on the first two albums, which remain their best work to date. He was also an accomplished songwriter. In their pre FM band, Wildlife, the Overland Brothers wrote the original version of Shot In the dark, a version of which was later recorded by Ozzy Osbourne, who took credit for writing the song along with bassist Phil Sousan (who had been a member of Wildlife). Sousan later sued Osborne for unpaid royalties.
    RIP Chris

• glitterjetglitterjet Frets: 61
    edited August 2023
    In fairness Ozzy did not rip it off, the song which Phil Soussan, a member of Wildlife and then Ozzys band, claims to have  written(I know), was brought to Ozzy, and the lyrics were rewritten.    It sounds amazing with some great Jake E Lee playing.   Anyone who does not have the Wildlife 'Wildlife' album should check it out, superb singing and playing from the Overland brothers, Simon Kirke on drums too.   Sad to hear of Chris' death.      *** Please note this reply was to the original post above which has since been edited from the original context about Ozzy to include the info I mentioned in my reply*** 
    Finalist in Advert of the Year 2021 competition 
  • 0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• In fairness Ozzy did not rip it off, the song which Phil Soussan, a member of Wildlife and then Ozzys band, claims to have  written(I know), was brought to Ozzy, and the lyrics were rewritten.    It sounds amazing with some great Jake E Lee playing.   Anyone who does not have the Wildlife 'Wildlife' album should check it out, superb singing and playing from the Overland brothers, Simon Kirke on drums too.   Sad to hear of Chris' death.
    There’s a great interview with Steve here that explains what happened. Been going on for years and the Overland brothers still haven’t got the recognition for their part in co writing the song. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Just read the interview, very gracious towards Ozzy to be fair.   I know the Wildlife demo well but had actually not heard the FM version.   Steves voice sounds so good on the demo.  Thanks for the info.
    Finalist in Advert of the Year 2021 competition 

• In fairness Ozzy did not rip it off, the song which Phil Soussan, a member of Wildlife and then Ozzys band, claims to have  written(I know), was brought to Ozzy, and the lyrics were rewritten.    It sounds amazing with some great Jake E Lee playing.   Anyone who does not have the Wildlife 'Wildlife' album should check it out, superb singing and playing from the Overland brothers, Simon Kirke on drums too.   Sad to hear of Chris' death.
    There’s a great interview with Steve here that explains what happened. Been going on for years and the Overland brothers still haven’t got the recognition for their part in co writing the song. 

Sad to hear...and yet more suckage from camp Osbourne that I was oblivious to :s