Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Community Pick Trade - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Community Pick Trade

What's Hot
PLOPPLOP Frets: 140
Hey

I’m someone who is pretty careful about the gear I buy. I don’t have a big budget so I like to make sure everything is thoroughly researched beforehand. 

One of the things that annoys me is guitar picks. I get annoyed that I have to buy packs of 6+ at a cost of almost a tenner these days just to see if I’ll like a particular one. 

How would people feel about a trade scheme?  Some one could post a list of what they’ve got that they’re not using and see if anyone would like to take any off their hands and in return you do the same. 

I have dozens of varying thicknesses, materials and sizes of boss, Dunlop, nameless picks I’ve gathered over the years and I’m literally never gonna use them. I don’t want to just throw them out if others could benefit from them. A pick I hate might be your favourite! 

Unsure if this is the wrong section, it doesn’t feel right to put it in the sales section? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Great, could call it "take your pick" or "pick n mix" or something
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    edited August 2023
    We are guitarists. It is in the job spec we have tons of picks we don't use lying around 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    Just think how many are lying unused inside the bodies of acoustic guitars out there
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    I keep leaving them in my Johny pocket in jeans and the washing machine eats them 
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 154
    I have a butt load of different picks in a box on my desk, I'll try and post a pic when I get chance and if anyone wants to try any I'm sure I can post some out.
  • By the time you factor in postage, is it really worth doing for a pick or two?  You can buy them individually from a lot of places and not be forced to buy them in packs, and a lot of places even sell ''variety packs'' of picks, a selection of various different picks in the same thickness.

The theory of it is a great idea, but once you factor in the costs and effort, is it worth it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    edited August 2023
    I’ve been using the very same pick for ~6-8 years. It’s a little scratched, and a smidge worn down on the tip but it’s still going strong :mrgreen: 

*edit* one of these, highly recommended: https://www.jimdunlop.com/primetone-standard-smooth-pick-1-0mm/
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    I’ve been using the very same pick for ~6-8 years. It’s a little scratched, and a smidge worn down on the tip but it’s still going strong :mrgreen: 

*edit* one of these, highly recommended: https://www.jimdunlop.com/primetone-standard-smooth-pick-1-0mm/
    Relic Pick? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    PLOP said:
    Hey

I’m someone who is pretty careful about the gear I buy. I don’t have a big budget so I like to make sure everything is thoroughly researched beforehand. 

One of the things that annoys me is guitar picks. I get annoyed that I have to buy packs of 6+ at a cost of almost a tenner these days just to see if I’ll like a particular one. 

How would people feel about a trade scheme?  Some one could post a list of what they’ve got that they’re not using and see if anyone would like to take any off their hands and in return you do the same. 

I have dozens of varying thicknesses, materials and sizes of boss, Dunlop, nameless picks I’ve gathered over the years and I’m literally never gonna use them. I don’t want to just throw them out if others could benefit from them. A pick I hate might be your favourite! 

Unsure if this is the wrong section, it doesn’t feel right to put it in the sales section? 
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/240169/guitar-picks-swap-sell#latest
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Unfortunately, I've only got a few hundred picks in my drawer.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    TTony said:
    Unfortunately, I've only got a few hundred picks in my drawer.

...one for each Kawai.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    I’ve used Dunlop orange exclusively for 20 odd years and usually pay around £3.50 for a pack of 6. In that case I’m unlikely to enter a trade but am up for buying spares and I think this is a great idea. Best post I’ve seen on here for a good while anyway.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • nero1701 said:
    I keep leaving them in my Johny pocket in jeans and the washing machine eats them 
    Johnny Pocket? I've not heard that expression before. I haven't worn jeans for decades to be honest.
  • I knew I’d grown up when I stopped losing picks and started wearing them out
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    Ideas great but postage costs are the killer :'(
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    Just 75p for a second class letter which could contain several picks doesn’t seem to be too expensive to me. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Strange. I was thinking about this last night. Maybe a version of Pay It Forward?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I’ve been using the very same pick for ~6-8 years. It’s a little scratched, and a smidge worn down on the tip but it’s still going strong :mrgreen: 

Relic Pick? 
    Pretty much - at this rate I’ll still be able to be buried with it!
  • lewisandersonlewisanderson Frets: 33
    edited August 2023
    Please ignore.  I've tried them with an acoustic and I'm keeping them.

:)
  • I’ve got five Hufschmid picks that I bought with good intentions that cost way too much. That aside, tons of random ones and quite a lot of Petrucci Jazz IIIs. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Don't expect to get any back from @equalsql ;
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    If anyone on here is a massive Foo Fighters fan, I've two picks that are Dave Grohl's. One says Concrete and the other Gold and are the ones he was using on that tour. A friend was one of the roadies when they played our local massive stadium music venue a few years ago and grabbed a couple.

I'd trade them for a 1959 Les Paul. No time wasters 
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 140
    edited September 2023
    I said ages ago I’d update this with what I’ve got. There’s nothing fancy, but people might love what I don’t and here’s a chance! 

Top to bottom, left to right:

Dunlop 0.46mm nylon x8
    Dunlop Flow 1.5mm x3
    Boss 1.14mm x2
    Dunlop Tortex 0.6mm x1
    Boss H Black x2
    Dunlop “Crocodile one” 2.0mm x1
    Dunlop Jazz III (regular size, not XL) x2
    Boss H Pearl x1 
    Boss M x3 (colours  of Sausagemeat, Restless Ocean, Swamp Camo) 
    Dunlop Tortex M3
    Collision Devices (feels similar to Boss H, was just a freebie) 
    Dunlop Jazz III Ultex

PLOP said:
    I said ages ago I’d update this with what I’ve got. There’s nothing fancy, but people might love what I don’t and here’s a chance! 

Top to bottom, left to right:

Dunlop 0.46mm nylon x8
    Dunlop Flow 1.5mm x3
    Boss 1.14mm x2
    Dunlop Tortex 0.6mm x1
    Boss H Black x2
    Dunlop “Crocodile one” 2.0mm x1
    Dunlop Jazz III (regular size, not XL) x2
    Boss H Pearl x1 
    Boss M x3 (colours  of Sausagemeat, Restless Ocean, Swamp Camo) 
    Dunlop Tortex M3
    Collision Devices (feels similar to Boss H, was just a freebie) 
    Dunlop Jazz III Ultex

I'd take the Dunlop Flow's off your hands, but I can get a 6 pack from Amazon for £6.99 so not sure how much I should pay you for it? Let me know.
    I’ve got five Hufschmid picks that I bought with good intentions that cost way too much. That aside, tons of random ones and quite a lot of Petrucci Jazz IIIs. 
    Want to sell any of the Hufschmid's?
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    I have a ton of Jazz 3s, red and black that I no longer use. Happy to trade for Dunlop 207s?
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    edited September 2023
    @carlos I bought that Crows Customs 6mm pick. 

I eventually decided that it’s not for me. 

PM me your address and I’ll stick it in the post to you. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    nero1701 said:
    Johnny Pocket? I've not heard that expression before. I haven't worn jeans for decades to be honest.
    …..No, I refuse to do the joke, even though every fibre of my soul is screaming “do it tone1, do it….. =)