Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). ***** me, Danny’s invention on TPS - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

***** me, Danny’s invention on TPS

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
https://youtu.be/YSqE6HNa3Gg?si=idy9aC10t46QSlsH

not watched it so apologies if they don’t like it!!!
I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Which one is his?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Isn't it the Dr Watson Lion Tamer at 28 minutes? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    ^ Yep.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    edited August 2023
    I'll admit I've only skimmed the video - but.. I must be missing something - I don't quite understand "the problem" they are trying to address. 
    The volume taper thing was fixed in the MKIVs - and that spiky, transient attack thing they are describing is... the sound of the clean channel on the amp?
    For sure - you could describe it as "harsh" if using it at home volumes as they are ..but why not just wind down your tone control on the guitar to deal with it?
    Live - with drums and bass kicking in - the amp sounds great in the mix to me?
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Do they review (aka promote) one of the Gigrigs products as well? 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    When they looked at the HRD before there were a few comments (including mine) saying what about the Lion Tamer? I'm fairly gobsmacked that they paid any attention. 
    Worth watching the section with it in (if you have an HRD I guess worth watching the whole thing). 

I'll tag @Danny1969 whilst I'm here. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • CaseOfAce said:
    I'll admit I've only skimmed the video - but.. I must be missing something - I don't quite understand "the problem" they are trying to address. 
    The volume taper thing was fixed in the MKIVs - and that spiky, transient attack thing they are describing is... the sound of the clean channel on the amp?
    For sure - you could describe it as "harsh" if using it at home volumes as they are ..but why not just wind down your tone control on the guitar to deal with it?
    Right! I don’t get it either. Each time I think I’ll sell my HRDx, I play it (live and loud) and think it’s bloody marvellous and I must be mad to part with it. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    CaseOfAce said:
    Right! I don’t get it either. Each time I think I’ll sell my HRDx, I play it (live and loud) and think it’s bloody marvellous and I must be mad to part with it. 
    It just gives you more flexibility for dialling in the sweet spot at different volumes. I much prefer clean channels when they compress personally, not into the spiky thing so much
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    There is a reason why the HRDx is one of the most popular valve amps ever - its flippin brilliant. The volume taper thing was *improved* on later ones, I wouldn't quite go as far as to say its linear but its better. 
    The lion tamer was a game changer for me, though, as it meant I could open the amp up more to the sweet spot (they mention it in the video) and it comes 'alive'. 

I don't hear the unusual mids they talk about - yes they are quite 'forward' for a Fender but that means in a live environment (where ultimately most are used) that translates into a voice that carries well in a mix. I don't think they sound that "unusual" though... 

I haven't got the valve swap element of the vid - but my own experiences weren't great there. I really didn't like the amp with different valves in the preamp - despite all the "choirs of angels" bollocks on certain forums about changing the preamp valves to lower gain. Frankly I thought it sounded flat as a fart...

Every time I think about selling mine, I plug it in and loose myself... fantastic amps. I love 'em... 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Quite a cool device.

What if you need to use the loop for time based effects? Just Janky the Lion Tamer to the end of the FX chain?
  • roberty said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    It just gives you more flexibility for dialling in the sweet spot at different volumes. I much prefer clean channels when they compress personally, not into the spiky thing so much
    The tamer? I’ve got one! Wasn’t that I was referring to - just that TPS seem quite keen on fixing an issue that I’m not sure necessitates multiple videos and endless discussion. 

But while I’m here - I think there is value in spiky, harsh, trebly guitar; particularly in punky, trashy sort of tunes. I like that lo-fi sound! 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I knew something had happened yesterday when my phone was ker chinging every few minutes with orders. I was playing at Victorious festival though so couldn't really get online and see what caused the sudden rush of sales. 

There's a couple of points they missed which I think makes it better value than the volume box in the loop. One is the signal never really leaves the amp so no noise is added and there's no additional sockets and extra jacks to be a potential point of failure. 
    The other point is you don't need to buy any extra cables ... you just plug it in the top of the amp. My knack, if i have one  is thinking of the easiest and most obvious way to accomplish something in a manner that's also straightforward to build. My Motto is "inventing the obvious" and all the stuff I've developed over the years like the IEM cables, U-Mix box, Anti boost pedal and the bespoke designs I've done all come from that way of thinking. Use the least parts and the simplest circuit. 

There's a loop return version I do available for people who want to run effects in the loop and also an adjustable version that fits a lot of amps from Marshall's to PRS's. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086
    edited August 2023
    The tamer? I’ve got one! Wasn’t that I was referring to - just that TPS seem quite keen on fixing an issue that I’m not sure necessitates multiple videos and endless discussion. 

As with all creators on YouTube etc. there are only so many things to talk about on any given subject, so there are bound to be times when you're scraping around a bit for "content", hence the "do we still like some stuff we said we liked ages ago?" etc.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Paul_C said:

As with all creators on YouTube etc. there are only so many things to talk about on any given subject, so there are bound to be times when you're scraping around a bit for "content", hence the "do we still like some stuff we said we liked ages ago?" etc.
    YouTube tends to push newer content to the front so there is incentive for creators to cover the same ground

@Danny1969 I wasn't aware this was your invention. Very cool
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    CaseOfAce said:
    I've had a MKIV and still have a MKII and the Lion Tamer allows me to drive the clean channel into compression at home volumes, it's not just about the volume pot taper. 

At gigs I run the HRD at around 5 while pushed a touch with an overdrive pedal, and with the Lion Tamer I can set up all my pedals and relative levels at home without deafening everyone. 
  • Having just watched the episode, I’m retracting what I said about Man and Dick. Was actually very useful and informative. Well done.