Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Replacing humbucker baseplate... - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Replacing humbucker baseplate...

What's Hot
So I've had a leg break off (and disappear) from a humbucker. I have a replacement baseplate on the way. From what I can see, replacement looks fairly straightforward: Back out the pole pieces, undo the screws, unsolder the ground and then do all that in reverse with the new baseplate.

Is that it...am I missing anything? Any unforeseen hazzards in the process?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 154
    Hmm, I can't really see any obvious hazards with just a straight swap. I've disassembled and reassembled many times, and it is basically the process you describe.

As long as your baseplate is the same spacing, and the polepieces will fit through it, you should be good to go! Maybe just make a mark on the magnet (if it isn't already marked) to make sure you get it back in the correct orientation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    That's basically. Make sure the polepiece holes have the same spacing. Potted pickups sometimes cause the magnet to stick so be very careful there.
    For what it's worth, I've done this loads of times trying different pickups in my PRS as long legged pickups will just about fit but have zero adjustment range.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Don't remove the polepiece screws until after you have inspected the underside of the pickup. Sometimes, the pole screws thread into the metal spacer piece beneath the bobbin rather than into the baseplate itself. No point doing unnecessary work and/or losing your pole height adjustments.
    Be seeing you.
    edited August 2023
    Don't remove the polepiece screws until after you haven inspected the underside of the pickup. Sometimes, the pole screws thread into the metal spacer piece beneath the bobbin rather than into the baseplate itself. No point doing unnecessary work and/or losing your pole height adjustments.
    Yeah this is true - good point. The bobbin, polepieces and threaded spacer may lift out together. Depends on the pickup. 

Also, if it's potted some bits may be a bit "stuck". A hairdryer can help, or a small flathead screwdriver can be used to pry bits off.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Nothing to add here other than I have changed a few baseplates and magnets and have never had to remove the pole pieces. Sounds like you're good to go :-)
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    Thanks all. Task completed without disaster or injury :)
    Lewy said:
    Thanks all. Task completed without disaster or injury :)
    That's what we like to hear!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Nice one