Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Live aid.. So we know about U2, Queen but .... - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Live aid.. So we know about U2, Queen but ....

What's Hot
How good was Paul Youngs set?! Thoroughly enjoyed watching it again the other day....
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    Nik Kershaw's too and Howard Jones one song sent shivers down my spine at the time and still does. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    I sometimes go and seek out the bands that played at the US portion of it in Phillidelphia
    Like Judas Priest

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    or tom Petty

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 967
    or tom Petty

Phenomenal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    KKJale said:
    or tom Petty

Phenomenal
    American Girl is - as usual - one of the absolute best things in the world 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    The honest truth is I only remember Queen. I was a big fan back then and they really were amazing. That was a lesson in how you play a stadium!

I'd quite like to catch up on the other stuff though, I bet there's a lot I would like now more than at the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Shrews said:
    Nik Kershaw's too and Howard Jones one song sent shivers down my spine at the time and still does. 

I've shown my Kershaw fascination many times here.. Amazing musician... Kinda wish he'd go back to his keyboard written songs these days instead if his guitar driven stuff if ya catch my drift. Still one of my favorites!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • On a side note, if ya like NK check out this guts videos.... fantastic stuff!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    or tom Petty

Great post - I'd forgotten TP played USA Live Aid - From the USA gig I remember Santana more than anyone else as it was the first time I'd seen him play a PRS and that night I did not know who/what PRS was
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    The honest truth is I only remember Queen. I was a big fan back then and they really were amazing. That was a lesson in how you play a stadium!

I'd quite like to catch up on the other stuff though, I bet there's a lot I would like now more than at the time.
    Agree Queen nailed - Showed how to milk a crowd and exploit stadium rock to the nth degree - Many other great moments from the day, but Queen topped the lot - Quo where good and rocking all over the world was obviously a great track for the show - The Who were fine
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 3884
    edited August 2023
    Great stuff from Judas Priest. I just about remember the days when Rob still had some hair. 

Looking at the setlists the US Live Aid acts were much more my kind of the thing (now at least) than the UK, but on the day I remember only seeing UK stuff. 

tFB Trader
    Queen were immense and at the top of their game . 
    But they were also better prepared for the day....
    They had spent the previous 5 years playing huge stadium gigs and Freddie was very used to holding such large audiences in the palm of his hand.
    Another part of what made them so good is that they tailored their set to run perfectly in that time slot and pack as many hits into it as humanly possible. They also rehearsed for it which I'm sure helped.
    They also had their own long standing, very talented sound engineer in Trip Khalaf who had a knack of making them sound clear and powerful in venues whose acoustics may not be the best . Contrary to popular belief he didn't crank their sound louder than everyone else , but HE DID know how to make them sound immense within the sound limits set for the venue.

And in my opinion they are the greatest band which always helps.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited August 2023
    This is probably sacrilege to say but I don't really enjoy Queen's Live Aid set, yet I really like a lot of other live albums by them. It seemed a bit disjointed and to start with Freddy's phrasing seemed a bit off.

Have usually enjoyed other videos from that much more than the Queen one, despite me liking Queen in general much more than the other acts
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    My memories of the day are sitting down to watch it on the TV and being annoyed at several points by how much they clipped the US coverage, the producers making our taste choices for us. 
    Paul Young, IIRC, included a bit of Do They Know It's Christmas in his set which seemed appropriate in some ways and not appropriate at all in others. I'm still not sure! 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    I personally thought Nik Kershaw was completely lost at sea that day on such a big stage. Musically the sound was brittle and tinny - and a lot of the 80s pop acts with complicated song productions on records were woefully unprepared in taking on such a huge venue for the first time. It's  understandable those acts who were used to such mega venues did the best - they and their crew already knew the pitfalls and how best to project with their performances.

Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631

Agree Queen nailed - Showed how to milk a crowd and exploit stadium rock to the nth degree - Many other great moments from the day, but Queen topped the lot - Quo where good and rocking all over the world was obviously a great track for the show - The Who were fine

If I recall, we lost the transmission for quite a lot of The Who.

For me, the most memorable bit apart from Queen and U2 was David Bowie giving over part of his set to The Cars' "Drive" underneath footage of the Ethopian famine. Tear jerking stuff.

On the US side, the one that I always remember is Madonna doing "Into the Groove". She was on her inexorable rise and her band was terrific. Somehow I seem to recall she did something with Nile Rogers and The Thompson Twins.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    CaseOfAce said:
    I personally thought Nik Kershaw was completely lost at sea that day on such a big stage. 
    He is about 4 foot 2. He's the only guy who could look lost on a pub stage.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    I guess the mid afternoon slots were difficult. The initial euphoria was over, the sun was burning, maybe a bit of standing fatigue kicking in after queuing and standing in the stadium for 3 hours or more. This wasn't a festival. You couldn't wander off easily for a sit down.

Elvis Costello, Nik Kershaw, Sade, Sting/Phil Collins, Brian Ferry and Paul Young perhaps had the toughest timeslots at Wembley (won't include Howard Jones as he only did the one number).

Then U2 came next which were very much the rising stars of that time so there was plenty of excitement about them. With them performing as they did plus a cooling temperature all was set for the established stars to perform. Dire Straits, pretty much middle of the road, perhaps unfortunate to be sandwiched between rising stars U2 and rock gods Queen.

http://liveaid.free.fr/pages/liveaidtimesdetaileduk.html

It would be interesting to hear any stories from the stadium on the day if anyone went. Watching on TV very different to being in the stadium where you had to cope with heat, fatigue, toilet issues, food and drink etc which can all be a dampener on the experience. Were you 'wowing' about certain acts or disappointed? What was the gossip between acts? Or were you just dying to go to the bog for hours? Thoughts about the sound issues with the Boomtown Rats and any worries if this was going to plague the event throughout the day? 

• Wiz awarded @Shrews ... would live to have been a fly on the wall at Live Aid. Mad stuff I'd say
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    On a side note, if ya like NK check out this guts videos.... fantastic stuff!

that vid isn't working (at least I can't get it to work)
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • Apologies! This should be it...a brilliant watch!

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    oh, yeah seen that before, it's great!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • mortmort Frets: 709
    Nobody’s mentioned Adam Ant yet…….

I’ll get me coat.
  • Eric Clapton’s performance pretty much put him back in the mainstream.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    I was there! Travelled down from Dundee with my brother and two friends, very hot day and there was an infuriating issue with the sound for a while, there seemed to be a delay between two sets of speakers.  Remember it took quite some time to get from the centre of the pitch to the toilets and indeed the bar

aparr from that an amazing day out, highlights were definitely Queen but also Status Quo  were a great start to the day
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter