Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NCartD - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NCartD

blobbblobb Frets: 2600
So...new cartridge time.

I've been a bit of a Grado fanboy for a while now. If you don't know, the 'house' sound of Grado is a bit old school, so great for some of the folk stuff I listen to. I found it also works well on 70's rock stuff as it's quite soft and well rounded. 

I started out with Prestige Red  then upgrade with an 8MZ stylus. The difference was noticeable but not by much. However, for some unknown reason that I'm still baffled by, this particular stylus snapped off! (I'm blaming cats). So went back to trusy Red, but that's had a good few hours on it now so time to move it on.

What to do? I didn't want to pay out again to replace the 8MZ, so this has arrived in it's place:

It's a Nag MP110, and it's new territory for me. Old School 'Made in U.S of A' Vs Japanese modern.

First impressions? It's much more capable and it's obvious times have moved on. Still a bit harsh but I expect it to soften up in use.

Currently burning it in with my goto reference records: Any early Camel for some reason always sounds excellent, as does Zappa. After that it will be put through it's paces on some of my more obscure label offerings.

What's your setup? what's your ref records?

ARB table > Tisbury phono > QUAD 44/405-2 > QLn speakers (which are absolutely fantastic).

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter