Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fender Shields Blender 'Standard' is coming - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fender Shields Blender 'Standard' is coming

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
The FOMO for the limited edition was huge and people fell for it.

Now a standard one is coming and about $100 less, same pedal, just no fancy box, plaque or usb stick

https://guitarbomb.com/2023/08/24/leak-fender-shields-blender-standard-edition/
You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    stonevibe said:
    The FOMO for the limited edition was huge and people fell for it.

Now a standard one is coming and about $100 less, same pedal, just no fancy box, plaque or usb stick

https://guitarbomb.com/2023/08/24/leak-fender-shields-blender-standard-edition/
    I was offered a large amount of money for my KS version from a collector. Couldn't say no.

So I'll now buy this normal one and enjoy....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    I said it then, and I'll say it now... it sounds *horrible* to me and even at this lower price, its certainly not a cheap pedal. 

Good luck, I say.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    I could razor blade some cheap nasty speaker cones for a lot less
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Reduced my one in the classifieds accordingly, haha. To be honest I think it was pretty widely known on launch of the KS one that there'd be a standard version before the end of the year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • As someone selling a Ltd Edition one, I sure as fuck wish it would go so that I can get this one instead haha.
    I think people are naïve if they think people were spending that money for the sound though. It's the collectability factor that dictated the price and I don't think that'll change. These standard ones don't make the ltd. edition ones any less ltd.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I disagree as the limited edition version was all based on FOMO.

It has no real unique features as far as we can tell when compared to the new standard version out soon.

Fender released 700 limited run versions and then after they sold out, it was revealed that 100 of them had a USB stick inside with a bit of music on.

It was an exercise in marketing and that is about it. I'm guessing the jacked-up sale prices will tumble over the next few weeks.

Limited print art box, a limited print hand-signed collector's booklet with an exclusive story and photos, and a plaque bearing Shields' signature. Not sure that offers enough variation to make these highly sought after by collectors.

Feels more like advertising BS/marketing manipulation.

I guess the ones with a USB stick inside could be worth more to collectors.

The limited edition was $499.99 official RRP and Reverb has some for more than double that.

Good Luck to those scalpers...

LOL

https://reverb.com/uk/item/71870300-fender-shields-blender-limited-edition-unopened

https://reverb.com/uk/item/72389883-fender-shields-blender-2023-with-secret-flash-drive

• JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 202
    edited August 2023
    Fair enough. You’ve clearly got a bee in your bonnet about the whole scalping thing which is pretty sad. It’s a free market. Get over it. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Fair enough. You’ve clearly got a bee in your bonnet about the whole scalping thing which is pretty sad. It’s a free market. Get over it. 
    I guess as I'm not trying to sell one for a profit, I have no horse in this race. More of an issue for anyone attempting to double their money on Reverb, etc

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 287
    Great sounding pedal, but I agree it's silly money. Then again, folks routinely throw 3-4-5-10k+ on custom shop/signature guitars and amps for home noodling, so maybe it's not too silly after all.

Anyway, I'm glad for KS, he certainly deserves this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stonevibe said:
    I guess as I'm not trying to sell one for a profit, I have no horse in this race. More of an issue for anyone attempting to double their money on Reverb, etc
    Intentions do differ- I for one am happy to eventually keep it and enjoy it, but also equally happy to sell it for a profit should someone be willing to pay a handsome price by their own choice within the next few weeks. If you think I’m sat here seething in financial ruin because my big investment didn’t pay off then you’re wrong. No one forces anyone to buy at marked up prices. I didn’t buy it to flip, but when I saw how much some people were willing to pay I figured why not chuck it up and see… it’s not some big conspiracy. 
    stonevibe said:
    Intentions do differ- I for one am happy to eventually keep it and enjoy it, but also equally happy to sell it for a profit should someone be willing to pay a handsome price by their own choice within the next few weeks. If you think I’m sat here seething in financial ruin because my big investment didn’t pay off then you’re wrong. No one forces anyone to buy at marked up prices. I didn’t buy it to flip, but when I saw how much some people were willing to pay I figured why not chuck it up and see… it’s not some big conspiracy. 

I have no thoughts about what you do.

My opinion (as stated above) is that the limited edition version was all based on FOMO.

And that scalpers on Reverb were going to have trouble moving on pedals for double the original cost or more.

However, I guess that the 
    ones with a USB stick inside could be worth more to collectors.

Everything else you have written in your post above comes from you and not me. 

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    I think most people “have a bee in their bonnet” or actually, fucking hate scalpers. Pedals, guitars, gig tickets, whatever it is. It’s just shit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fair enough. You’ve clearly got a bee in your bonnet about the whole scalping thing which is pretty sad. It’s a free market. Get over it. 
    I think most people “have a bee in their bonnet” or actually, fucking hate scalpers. Pedals, guitars, gig tickets, whatever it is. It’s just shit.

Oh I don’t disagree with that. But flipping something for a profit now and then doesn’t equally mean it’s scalping. If people weren’t prepared to pay stupid prices then scalpers would be out of business anyhow. But yes. People who actively scalp suck. 
  • stonevibe said:
    stonevibe said:

I have no thoughts about what you do.

My opinion (as stated above) is that the limited edition version was all based on FOMO.

And that scalpers on Reverb were going to have trouble moving on pedals for double the original cost or more.

However, I guess that the ones with a USB stick inside could be worth more to collectors.

Everything else you have written in your post above comes from you and not me. 

Maybe there’s a little projection haha. 
    Tbh if it weren’t for the niggling feeling I could put the profit towards yet more superfluous shite I’d probably be playing the thing rather than arguing about it on the internet eh 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543

Oh I don’t disagree with that. But flipping something for a profit now and then doesn’t equally mean it’s scalping. If people weren’t prepared to pay stupid prices then scalpers would be out of business anyhow. But yes. People who actively scalp suck. 
    I would like to add, it wasn’t aimed at you. I appreciate people aren’t going to sell used gear below market value, it’s just those who buy for the sole purpose of flipping… arseholes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fender Pedals | Shields Blender - Brushed Aluminum - Peach Guitars

Much cheaper compared to Andertons (who are at £279!)
  • impmann said:
    I said it then, and I'll say it now... it sounds *horrible* to me and even at this lower price, its certainly not a cheap pedal. 

Good luck, I say.
    Agree. And I like MBV!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    What I don't understand is why anyone would want one.
    It's a nasty pedal and not in a good way.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    USB stick aside, as that was a lottery anyway and seemed to be limited to the US, it all comes down to how much you think his autograph is worth, basically.

It's a great pedal either way... like anything there are nasty sounds in it, but that's part of the charm. I think it captures a small bit of the KS sound very well and I love it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Whitecat said:
    USB stick aside, as that was a lottery anyway and seemed to be limited to the US, it all comes down to how much you think his autograph is worth, basically.

It's a great pedal either way... like anything there are nasty sounds in it, but that's part of the charm. I think it captures a small bit of the KS sound very well and I love it.
    Yeah the pure chaos is exactly why it is great.
  • It's not my bag so I don't care either way but I wonder how "great" (or "nasty") the sound of this pedal would be perceived if the exact same pedal had been released without the Kevin Shields tie-in and called something naff like the Squashed Hornet? 
    It's not my bag so I don't care either way but I wonder how "great" (or "nasty") the sound of this pedal would be perceived if the exact same pedal had been released without the Kevin Shields tie-in and called something naff like the Squashed Hornet? 
    It's the sort of thing I love so I like to think I'd be into it... but who knows, psychologically there is of course some influence in having KS' stamp of approval on it.
  • Whitecat said:

This sums it up for me. If the limited edition version had something extra on the pedal (upgraded components, extra features, etc) then I could see it holding its money, but that exact pedal is now available at a greatly reduced price, and will be at an even lower price once they appear on the used market. Technically, the only thing that was limited edition was the bit of paper KS signed and the cardboard box it came in.

Sound-wise, I can see why people think it's nasty but in certain clips I've heard, it does nail that KS fuzz sound (in my opinion).
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    edited September 2023
    cowie86 said:
    Whitecat said:

This sums it up for me. If the limited edition version had something extra on the pedal (upgraded components, extra features, etc) then I could see it holding its money, but that exact pedal is now available at a greatly reduced price, and will be at an even lower price once they appear on the used market. Technically, the only thing that was limited edition was the bit of paper KS signed and the cardboard box it came in.

Sound-wise, I can see why people think it's nasty but in certain clips I've heard, it does nail that KS fuzz sound (in my opinion).
    I am a bit disappointed with Fender on this. They could have at least made something internally different, difference colour, even maybe had them properly hand signed (think the plate was a print?) or maybe included the internal USB on ALL of them (or even signed vinyl?).

Mind you I'm disappointed with a lot of Fender's new products in terms of cost and quality, and I love their gear when they get it right.

To drop from £449 (full retail - noting they are limited and selling them out) to £233 ish (from Peach currently who are well below the RRP of £279) isn't fair to original buyers.

I sold mine as I mentioned above - a collector wanted it - offered good money without me initiating the sale - I'm not going to say no. I feel bad for those that have paid £600+!

I think they look decent at £250 ish.....great style, big ol' versatile fuzz. Where are they made?

• Where are they made?
    China.
    polotska said:
    Where are they made?
    China.
    That’s interesting and accounts for a fair bit of the price difference no doubt since the limited models were “made” in the USA…
  • Whitecat said:
    polotska said:
    Where are they made?
    China.
    That’s interesting and accounts for a fair bit of the price difference no doubt since the limited models were “made” in the USA…
    I was actually referring to the limited models—they were definitely made in China. I assume that the “standard” ones are, too, but haven’t seen one yet so I can’t confirm.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    All a bit cynical and exploitative from Fender, but I don't feel sorry for people who were willing to pay £600+ for one. Their willingness to pay silly amounts is what pushes prices up for everyone and encourages scalping, or whatever it's called.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    edited September 2023
    polotska said:
    Whitecat said:
    polotska said:
    Where are they made?
    China.
    I was actually referring to the limited models—they were definitely made in China. I assume that the “standard” ones are, too, but haven’t seen one yet so I can’t confirm.
    Ah, ok, according to this the ltds were MIA and the new ones MIC - https://www.guitarworld.com/news/kevin-shields-fender-shields-blender-non-limited-run#

But that does appear to be wrong. 
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 113
    edited September 2023
    Yes, I think it’s wrong—the limited model I had was marked as made in China.

Regardless of origin, I thought it sounded fantastic, though a bit tricky to dial in. It’s not the kind of thing I’d use often, so not worth it to me to keep it at the original price, but I’ll probably pick up one of the standard models when they start turning up used.