Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Who in 1977 in maximum overdrive. - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Who in 1977 in maximum overdrive.

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
Just an absolutely stunning performance.
Pete is possessed, how the hell did he not lose a fingertip with his swinging right arm?
This IS the stuff of legends.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Did he not do a windmill whilst playing a strat and have trem arm go through his hand? 

( tired this morning, proper sentences alluding me)
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I wore white Kickers for years because of Daltrey

And with all that testosterone going on around him, The OX just stands there, solid as a rock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I saw a screening of The Kids Are Alright years ago, it features a lot of live footage from that period.  Watching it in the cinema was almost like going to a gig, they were an incredible live band at that time.  I expected Moon to be the star of the show, but Townshend in those days was absolutely phenomenal.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    edited August 2023
    There's some killer boilersuit era stuff on Youtube - the version of Amazing Journey/Sparks from Tanglewood is pretty close to the Live at Leeds version. They're another one of those bands I wished I'd been around for to see. They're unlike any other band with their playing each other's roles (Pete having to be the timekeeper and John being the lead guitarist)

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Shame about the annoying double image, couldn't concentrate I just gave up. 

• EmielEmiel Frets: 198
    edited August 2023
    equalsql said:
    Just an absolutely stunning performance.
    Pete is possessed, how the hell did he not lose a fingertip with his swinging right arm?
    This IS the stuff of legends.

I love this!! Some context:

The Kilburn 1977 concert was filmed for The Kids Are Alright documentary. The full concert was released in a DVD format some years ago and it contains a concert at the London Coliseum from 1969 too.

The ironic bit is that for Who standards, the Kilburn concert is pretty subpar. The Who hadn't played for a year and Keith Moon is in very bad shape. He is very sloppy, fills go nowhere and he even doesn't know how to play certain parts. Pete is visually getting very frustrated, knocks over an amplifier during 'My Wife' and even calls the documentary maker over the microphone saying "This wasn't fucking worth filming, Stein. Might as well send the cameramen home". 

Yet I love the overall performance. A Who trainwreck is still a sight to behold.

Some footage...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHs_ojDJX04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK7yjKf1osY
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Did he not do a windmill whilst playing a strat and have trem arm go through his hand?
    Apparently it was the first one he'd played with a Floyd where the arm remains horizontal when you let go, instead of swinging down out of the way. I think it might have been a Casio synth guitar, but I can't find where I read that now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Apparently it was the first one he'd played with a Floyd where the arm remains horizontal when you let go, instead of swinging down out of the way. I think it might have been a Casio synth guitar, but I can't find where I read that now.
    He says Clapton sig strat in that clip I posted. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    The Kilburn concert is shown on Sky Arts every so often. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    That is what I was led to believe - They are mates as well - Some irony that EC never uses the arm and I've not seen many clips, if any, when PT uses one 
    ICBM said:
    That is what I was led to believe - They are mates as well - Some irony that EC never uses the arm and I've not seen many clips, if any, when PT uses one 

In the interview EC points out that he doesn't use one, as if the mere idea was an insult.
    EricTheWeary said:

Odd, considering that the Clapton Strat doesn't have an arm that stays up when you're not using it.

I'm certain I read that it was something with a Floyd (and I think the Casio guitar), but I can't find the source now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• EmielEmiel Frets: 198
    Some of his Clapton Strats were fitted with a Kahler 2710 locking tremolo system, that could have been the culprit.

https://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/fenderecstrat.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxMhIa98eig
    Emiel said:
    Some of his Clapton Strats were fitted with a Kahler 2710 locking tremolo system, that could have been the culprit.
    Ah, that will be it.

He seems to be wearing a bandage on his right hand in that video - is that not long after the incident?

The arm is also clearly adjusted to swing loose, which is an option with those bridges.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    scrumhalf said:
    The Kilburn concert is shown on Sky Arts every so often. 

I've watched it and really enjoyed it - it's a bit raw, which makes it better IMHO.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    And this is this just GLORI0US!

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 214
    I was listening to this one today

• rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Always loved the Who and the seventies was their best period in my mind.

One time we got tickets to see them at Wembley Arena and I was a bit shocked to see that we were in row 6 or something - far too close for me at that volume.  As it turned out, we were in row 6 at the other endof the arena, where the terraced seating started.

We were pretty much at amp level and as well as it still being extremely loud, I could feel pretty much every bass note hitting my chest.  Quite amazing and slightly disconcerting.  mrsrlw found it quite painful and complained for days afterwards.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.