Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Combo to head conversion - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Combo to head conversion

mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 472
edited August 2023 in Amps
Has anyone had a custom head cab built to take an amp out of a combo? I'm sure they have, just wondered how it works, ie how would the builder know what to construct, do you have to ship the combo, and any idea on costs or recommended builders? I was thinking about rehousing my swart junior. Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• guitarajguitaraj Frets: 10
    I spoke to Andrew at Horseman Soundworks about doing this to convert a Carr Slant combo to a head and cab. Although I haven’t got around to it yet the quoted price seemed very reasonable and would involve a custom cab made by Noisy Hammer who have a great rep as far as I can tell. I plan to take it to his workshop in Surrey. Zilla would also do the same thing and have a superb reputation as well but as they are down in Cornwall now I didn’t want a huge faff with getting it to them…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Zilla will be a good shout.  Also try @Modulus_Amps or @BlackbirdCabs .
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    I’m just about to do one myself. I have another head to copy from. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    We can do it. But if you can not drill the new cabinet yourself you would have to ship the amp to us to fit which risks damage.

The cab builder would need the chassis dimensions and really should be able to provide some sort of drawing as to what the cab would look like before making it.

There are cab builders all over the country, so there might be someone near to you if you tell us your general location.

Also if it is the same amp that Swart already puts into a head cabinet, have you thought about contacting them to see if they would sell you a replacement cab?

• I'll give that a shot -> Also if it is the same amp that Swart already puts into a head cabinet, have you thought about contacting them to see if they would sell you a replacement cab?
  • @Modulus_Amps I'm based in Amersham, South bucks if you know anyone in my neck of the woods. That's jn 4 on the M40. Cheers