Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Are clean boost pedals all pretty much the same? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Are clean boost pedals all pretty much the same?

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
edited August 2023 in FX
I am referring to the ones that do not have separate EQ controls. i.e. pure boost pedals.

Or do they sound different from each other?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    If one were to be strictly accurate, ANY pedal that added any 'colour' to the signal cannot be called "clean"!

Pedals using op amps such as the TL072 (but there are much better now) will be very clean. Anything described as "Discrete, class A circuitry" will not be . ESPECIALLY if it uses FETs.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    No, a lot of them sound quite distinctive. As Dave says, that's because strictly, they're not 'clean' boosts - they're boosts which don't clip. There are many different ways of implementing a boost circuit, from a basic single-transistor gain stage to a complex circuit with op-amps. Even some of the ones that use op-amps don't sound completely clean, since either intentionally or not, there are other components which change the frequency response or add subtle distortion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    They definitely have differences. Off the top of my head... SHO adds highs and a tiny hint of hair, MicroAmp and Stratoblaster both add a hint of mids (in a good way), EP Booster adds high-mid/treble but no grit. I think...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    From what I understand the Boo Boost involves a Mosfet Transistor

The other two I have no idea

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'd always kinda assumed they'd all be much of a muchness. However, when I listened to something like the comparison vid below, I was amazed at how much difference there can be...

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    edited August 2023
    I'd always kinda assumed they'd all be much of a muchness. However, when I listened to something like the comparison vid below, I was amazed at how much difference there can be...

That was a very interesting video - thanks!

A lot of those pedals have eq controls so not really what I was referring to.
    Equally however many of them were single knob booster pedals
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    They usually have some eq and often a bit of clipping and compression even if they claim not to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    edited August 2023
    I've amassed quite a few boosts and they all sound a bit different.
    My favourite is the SHO for its sparkliness and clarity.
    I don't use them as volume boosts, more as line drivers and tone enhancers set slightly above unity gain.
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 144
    Has anybody compared the SHO circuit to the EP Booster? I have an SHO (homemade clone) and wondered how the EP would differ?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    TJT1979 said:
    Has anybody compared the SHO circuit to the EP Booster? I have an SHO (homemade clone) and wondered how the EP would differ?
    Yes. They are different. EP style is fatter to my ears

I got one of these fully assembled for £30 shipped from China. I figured I couldn't build one for that https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqxCyQK
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    (you need colour option 4)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    The easiest way to get a totally clean boost is to do it the other way round. The rhythm sound is attenuated and the lead sound isn't. If it goes after a buffered pedal then you can get away with a totally passive design, just a pot in a box and a bypass footswitch. 
    Other than that most boost pedals are simple circuits which just add voltage gain to the signal. The trouble is a typical pedal only has 4V to swing so clipping is possible with powerful pickups ... plus even if the pedal doesn't clip the input of the amp might.  

The EP boost is a very simple circuit, just one BJT and one FET. It does seem to add something as well as gain but it's hard to say. The human brain always thinks louder is better 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Danny1969 said:
    The easiest way to get a totally clean boost is to do it the other way round. The rhythm sound is attenuated and the lead sound isn't. If it goes after a buffered pedal then you can get away with a totally passive design, just a pot in a box and a bypass footswitch. 
    Other than that most boost pedals are simple circuits which just add voltage gain to the signal. The trouble is a typical pedal only has 4V to swing so clipping is possible with powerful pickups ... plus even if the pedal doesn't clip the input of the amp might.  

The EP boost is a very simple circuit, just one BJT and one FET. It does seem to add something as well as gain but it's hard to say. The human brain always thinks louder is better 
    Maaaany years ago I found/read an online article about boosts (on one of the original DIY FX sites iirc) and 2 things I recall are that it said the reason the SHO seems 'sparkly' to many is that it has very high input impedance (probably higher than whatever pedal then person was using before) so if it's first it'll retain a bit more high end in the guitar signal.

The other thing I recall was that they said some of the EP boost distinctive sound was something to do with the input section - I forget the details but I think.it said there is something that looks innocuous but if ommitted/simplified did change the sound. 

I can't obviously speak to the accuracy of either but if that makes sense to the more knowledgeable they may be able to comment. 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Spark Mini is awesome, J Rockett A.P.E. does a a great mild boost with Echoplex preamp flavour.