Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Engl Fireball 25 - Opinions Wanted Please - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Engl Fireball 25 - Opinions Wanted Please

What's Hot
HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 25
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new amplifier after many years of using a Line 6 Helix.  The goal is less adjusting, more playing.  From what I've seen the Engl Fireball 25 is a highly rated, versatile beast that is pretty much exactly what I'm after.  The only problem is that there is nowhere to try it out locally, and I'd be buying direct from Thomann.

I'd be buying a matching Engl V30 oversized 1x12 to match.

Has anyone got one - or owned one in the past - and if so, what are your thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    I haven't tried the 25 but the older version of the regular (60W IIRC?) Fireball was anything but versatile- the clean channel was very clean, and the od channel was all-out-brootal and not much else.

I haven't tried that specific cab but I'm not sure about a V30 in a 1x12 (Engls do tend to sound really good with V30s but V30s usually sound better in a 2x12 I think).

It does depend on what you want and what you mean by "versatile", of course. I'm not trying to put you off, lol- just don't want you to be disappointed. They also may have improved the versatility in the newer versions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 25
    edited August 2023
    Thanks for the feedback!  There are a good number of Youtube demos showing that it can do more than very shiny cleans and heavy chugs, so I think it must differ somewhat to it's bigger brother in that regard. Effective EQ knobs shows it can approximate Fender and Marshall-style tones with the assistance of different guitars.  The rough ballpark that it appears to offer is enough for me.  However, I do agree that the clean cleans and heavy distortion is where it will shine most.

My main concern is volume and cab pairing.  The attenuation should tame the volume effectively, but I'm hoping for some real-world opinions in that regard.

The cab is what I'm taking my time with.  The matched head and oversized 1x12 does look very smart, which does need to be a consideration in a home setting.  However, I'm not totally against the 2x12 but I think it might be overkill in terms of both size and volume?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    Yeah. I haven't tried any of the newer versions, but the word on the net seemed to be that they'd improved the versatility etc. of them. I wouldn't be surprised that's the case- whether it's enough of an improvement though is the thing!

I'm not sure about the attenuation- it doesn't seem to say on the back of the head, but Thomann seems to think it's 5W and 1W. 1W might be low enough, or it might not. Lower wattage settings often don't sound as good, either. The other thing is, for a high gainer, you don't always need or even want the volume to be cranked to sound good.

I mean a 2x12 is overkill for sure, but then kind of so is a 1x12. 2x12 will be slightly louder but will sound a lot fuller and bigger... it's basically "better" (especially for heavier tones), even in a home environment, as long as it doesn't make it too loud.

A lot of it depends on what your home situation is... living in a detached house with no neighbours and no housemates is an awful lot different from living in a flat with a load of housemates (or young children) who are light sleepers, lol.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    I had a screamer 50 a few years back and that was a very versatile amp. 
    They can be had for not much money these days too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter