Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Nevada Les Paul revamp - Checkerboard? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Nevada Les Paul revamp - Checkerboard?

What's Hot
A mate asked me to look at bringing his guitar back to life, which I am always happy to do, even when they are not the most glamorous of brands.

If you are not familiar these are  very low budget guitars, bringing  the worst 70's fake LP construction right into the 90's.  We are talking bolt on neck and a ply top pressed into shape over blocks of wood... although somehow still being heavier than a black hole.... but i've worked on a few of these before and they can generally be made pretty playable if you don't expect greatness

We got discussing a checkerboard finish option at the weekend, which makes it a bit more interesting  and worthy of a thread.

My first thought for this is to try making a vinyl wrap or sticker.  If that doesn't work I will attempt it in paint
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    WezV said:
    We got discussing a checkerboard finish
    That would be a Cheap Trick.
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    I will say it was rather Rancid from bad storage 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    Would the laser cutter (running in low power mode as an engraver) be an option for the chequer board effect?
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    edited August 2023
    I did consider that.   Taking the top back to wood or painting it white and engraving the checkerboard would certainly work
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1652
    Not done much with laser but would it cut the vinyl or even a mask for a re spray tagging along.

That's one option, but apparently the vinyl can give off some harmful gasses when lasercut that can harm the laser.

I'm keeping it straightforward for the first option, just vinyl wrapping the top. If that looks terrible I will explore more paint options but some kind of laser cut masks would be high on the list
    Some vinyl turned up.  10 minutes later I have this

There are a few bubbles in that so I think I will redo, but it's a promising start
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    Looks good though, are you able to share what to buy and how to apply?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Sure.  I got 3m of this
    https://www.vinyldepot.co.uk/collections/decor/products/d-c-fix-self-adhesive-vinyl-chequered-large-450mm-m

Plenty to have another go.

Its adhesive, but you can peel and restick if you get it wrong.  You just need a squeegy to smooth it out and a very sharp knife to trim it back.  You can also use heat to help it conform to the shapes.   I need to do better with the heat though.   A heat gun was a bit much for this so may switch to a hairdryer. 

edited September 2023
    I didn't show this finished, but I was fairly happy with it for a quick re-vamp of a cheap guitar.   

I had to replace a few frets where the guitar apparently had a fight with a cymbal - and the wiring all got replaced after my 3rd attempt trying to rescue the existing parts

It now plays pretty well, even if it still sounds like an angry banjo 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    Turned out well, I like it
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Perfect for playing in a ska band
  • That’s ace , reminds me of Dave Kilmisters late 80s early 90s shred guitar which I can’t find a pic of