Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Marshall jcm 800 combo 4103 - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Marshall jcm 800 combo 4103

billandobillando Frets: 17
4103 is the combo version of the jcm 800 2203. Has anybody played this and how do you think it would be for pub to medium sized hall gigs with 5 piece rock band? it has Gt1275 speakers.

I just got one delivered and due to long hours at work i havent had a chance to try it out yet but we have been offered a last minute gig this Friday night and i was thinking to take it along as my main or spare amp as long as it works fine (ill try it before Friday but in a non-band context).

Best with a smaller amp? is this overkill?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    It would be overkill even if you needed overkill. It's probably about right for a medium sized stadium or a major festival.

:)

Although the master volume does work quite well, the 75s won't do it any great favours at lower volumes, they've very hollow and buzzy, and the amp is quite bright until it's wound up a long way. If you're going to try it I wold *definitely* take your Powerbrake. (Make sure the speaker cable will reach to it.)

I once played a gig with another band whose guitarist had the 50W version, and that was mental enough - the crowd parted like the Red Sea in Moses when he turned on his distortion pedal...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • billandobillando Frets: 17
    I guess the question is not if its too loud cos it has a master volume but how good an option it would be at these smaller venues compared to other amps i have like jcm 800 4010 with G1265, jmp 2104 with G1265s, Wem Dominator or Vox AC15.

I really would like the Dominator to be the one i use for my main sound. Being non-master volume i find some gigs it is still clean at gig level which is no good but at others it does get to around 6 or 7 on the master which is great where it has a nice overdrive..clearer and fatter than a bigger amp at low master volumes.
    Hard to say without you trying it with your band, but for me it would be the last choice after the other two Marshalls - the 65s take off a lot of the harsh top-end when you're playing below power-stage overdrive. It's an incredibly loud, unforgiving and very heavy amp to take to a small gig. (And I like big amps at small gigs, when they sound good turned down - I loved the sound I got with my Mesa Trem-o-verb.)

If you're finding the Dominator too loud at some gigs you probably need a simple resistive attenuator just to take the edge off it - something like an L-Pad mounted in the back of the amp, or a Dr.Z Brake Lite.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• billandobillando Frets: 17
    The Dominator doesnt have an output jack that i can see similar to some older combo amps.......if i was to be using something like an L-pad is this something a tech would easily modify?

billando said:
    The Dominator doesnt have an output jack that i can see similar to some older combo amps.......if i was to be using something like an L-pad is this something a tech would easily modify?
    Yes, it just needs to be hardwired in between the amp and speaker.

• One of the g12t75 speakers in the jcm 800 4103 is damaged so im going to take the opportunity to change them for something else either vintage or new. Any suggestions on what speakers sound good with this amp? I know its a personal thing.
    billando said:
    One of the g12t75 speakers in the jcm 800 4103 is damaged so im going to take the opportunity to change them for something else either vintage or new. Any suggestions on what speakers sound good with this amp? I know its a personal thing.
    G12-65s, either original T3054s or Heritage reissues.

JCM800s were designed for them and still sound best with them.

• Ok thanks. Theres a 65 in my 4010 but it doesnt have any codes on it....only says rola celestion ltd on it
    billando said:
    Ok thanks. Theres a 65 in my 4010 but it doesnt have any codes on it....only says rola celestion ltd on it
    The T number will be ink-stamped on the frame. The original 65s came in a wide variety of specs, some of which don’t sound all that great for guitar - they were meant for PA or bass. T3053 (8 ohm) and T3054 (15 ohm) are the standard guitar models.

• I am aware of the ink stamps but the speaker in mine doesnt have any. Should i be worried about this?
    billando said:
    I am aware of the ink stamps but the speaker in mine doesnt have any. Should i be worried about this?
    Possibly... possibly not.

The explanation could be 'innocent' if it's happened due to over-heavy cleaning - or 'suspicious' if it's been deliberately removed to disguise a non-guitar model. What are the cone, dust cap and edge surround like - normal Celestion guitar speaker types, or something else?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/254001/fs-vintage-celestion-guitar-speakers#latest
    bennyg85 said:

2 x 1979 Celestion G12-65 T3054 15 ohms £200

Date codes: AM18 and EM8. Cone codes: Both 1777. Photos to follow.

Meet up/postage is always an option where sensible. I'm based in Shrewsbury but make frequent trips east via the M6/A14/A11 to Norfolk.

More photographs and details to follow.
    No affiliation, but these are what you need.

• Thanks